The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2024, 09:54 AM   #1
justaburbn

79 Frankenstein

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

If only I was a teenager, then I'd know everything! I for sure don't know what I'm getting myself into here.

Where do I even start? As if life weren't challenging enough I had to go and adopt this "79 Frankenstein" monster. Is there no end to the things we do to ourselves? LOL!

Any and all input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Please check back frequently as I'm going to upload more pictures of the overall existing condition. I'm not sure how to deal with body rust. It has some really bad floor rot along the door openings.

Can anyone help me decipher this VIN? CCU169F166042 I'm pretty sure the "F"
is for Frankenstein! LOL!

Title says: year 1979 make CHEV body LL model C10 description SUB 2500

I'm confused about what is original and what is not. And also, how can it be a C10 and 2500 at the same time?

It currently has a manual tranny and 4x4 set up. I think SM465 and NP203.

Axles: 8 lugs, locking hubs, 10 bolts front and rear, 4:56 or lower? Top speed so far about 45mph. Tranny vibrates and rumbles going down the road, and it make a crackling sound when shifting gears. Top speed is about 45

Is it possible for 3/4 ton to mount under 1/2 ton leaf springs?

I'm thinking about getting a used SM465 (if that's really what is in it) and see if that helps it roll down the road any better so I can tell what else is going on?

I'm thinking this will be a logging road runner, but it needs the ability to cruise long distances at 60-70mph as well so I may need help understanding the NV4500 route.

So thankful for this great community,

Justabubn
Attached Images

justaburbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:16 AM   #2
raggedjim

Re: 79 Frankenstein

I don't have any answers for you, just wanted to say nice starting point and good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:28 AM   #3
justaburbn

Thanks, Rg! Drop by anytime... It's going to be interesting.

So many options, so little time, and time is money!
Old 02-20-2024, 06:55 PM   #4
willem445

Looks like a really clean rig to start with. Rockers are really common to rust out, I'm in the process of repairing mine on my truck, so far not so bad.

As for the VIN: https://www.usa1industries.com/1973-...der-chart.html

Chevrolet
2 wheel drive
305 V8
10 (half ton)

Did the 9 and F get out of order? If I swap them
9 = 1979
F = assembled in Flint, MI

The 6 in the body type must mean suburban.

"Heavy Halfs" did exist but given yours came from the factory with a 305 and as a 2WD, which yours obviously is not anymore, i'd guess it might be frame swapped with a K20 (or maybe just axle swapped).

From what I can tell, the 203 shifter should look like this

205 looks like this:

I'd be somewhat surprised if your rear axle was actually an 8-lug 10 bolt. Usually the 3/4 ton axles were 14 bolt semi or full float rears. Dana 44 or 10 bolt in front is common though.

Hard to diagnose the transmission issue without experiencing it. The SM465 is only 3 speed but I can drive 65-70 without issue in 3rd gear.

I think the 1/2 ton springs are usually 2-3 leaf in rear from what I've seen. A 3/4 ton was commonly 3 spring in front and anywhere from 6-9 leafs in rear.

How does the engine run?

I would personally start with replacing every fluid, differentials, transmission, transfer case and engine. Inspect oil for metal.

From my experience, NV4500s are fairly difficult to come buy these days and if you do find one, expect to pay $1000-2000 for it.
1978 Chevy C20 (future project?)
1978 Chevy C10 (parts)
1975 Chevy C10 (parts)
willem445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:53 PM   #5
justaburbn

This is exactly to type of input I've been hoping for willem445. I appreciate every bit of it. It's going to take me a minute to process this though.

This will help me get a better perspective on what all I'm dealing with. I won't be long gone soon.

Thanks very much, I'll catch ya on the flip flop!
Old 03-05-2024, 03:17 PM   #6
justaburbn

So... I guess old Frankenstein originally had a 305. I don't know how to tell for sure if that's what's in the thing now. Whatever it is will need rebuilt or replaced.

To be honest I'm leaning 350 or 383. I've found out early on that I love torque more than hp. "catch me if you can" was a game we played growing up on the Midwest gravel roads. Top end really didn't matter much.

This rig is going to spend most of it's life growing up on logging roads just crawling around at slow speeds. It has some seriously low gears so the motor needs to not explode if rpm are higher for longer duration than normal. LOL if there is such a thing as normal here.

I had a 355 once that was pretty torque ish.

What I'm really after nowadays though is more bulletproofness and longevity. If that could include TORQUE all the better.

I'm open to suggestions.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:12 PM   #7
LT7A

Cool rig, and I'm interested to tune in. Sorry that that's not much help but enthusiasm should count for something ; )
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:37 PM   #8
justaburbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by willem445 View Post
Looks like a really clean rig to start with. Rockers are really common to rust out, I'm in the process of repairing mine on my truck, so far not so bad.

As for the VIN: https://www.usa1industries.com/1973-...der-chart.html

Chevrolet
2 wheel drive
305 V8
10 (half ton)

Did the 9 and F get out of order? If I swap them
9 = 1979
F = assembled in Flint, MI

The 6 in the body type must mean suburban.

"Heavy Halfs" did exist but given yours came from the factory with a 305 and as a 2WD, which yours obviously is not anymore, i'd guess it might be frame swapped with a K20 (or maybe just axle swapped).

From what I can tell, the 203 shifter should look like this

205 looks like this:

I'd be somewhat surprised if your rear axle was actually an 8-lug 10 bolt. Usually the 3/4 ton axles were 14 bolt semi or full float rears. Dana 44 or 10 bolt in front is common though.

Hard to diagnose the transmission issue without experiencing it. The SM465 is only 3 speed but I can drive 65-70 without issue in 3rd gear.

I think the 1/2 ton springs are usually 2-3 leaf in rear from what I've seen. A 3/4 ton was commonly 3 spring in front and anywhere from 6-9 leafs in rear.

How does the engine run?

I would personally start with replacing every fluid, differentials, transmission, transfer case and engine. Inspect oil for metal.

From my experience, NV4500s are fairly difficult to come buy these days and if you do find one, expect to pay $1000-2000 for it.

It's not to beat up and anyhow. Just mostly wore out and rusty.

I did a little research on rockers. I think you're right. Doesn't seem too bad.

Yeah, the Vin is a head scratch-er. Sorry that picture is upside down.

Maybe someone could help me insert pictures where I want them instead of all together like they are.

I guess I'll have to get under this rig or drop the case and tranny to find out what they are for sure. My other 79 burbn (which is original 3/4 ton, 400SB, TH400 and 203) has the same shifter knob as your picture of the 203, but Frankenstein here seems to have 205 boot plate indicator and an I don't know what kinda knob. I've never seen either before. I hope it's still all Chevy stuff, wherever those Frankenstein parts came from.

You are correct! It does have an 8 lug 14 bolt and 6 leafs with the helper rear but 8 lug 10 bolt and 3 leaf front. I guess that means it's a 1/2 ton suspension in front and a 3/4 ton suspension rear? I don't know for sure if it was a frame swap or leaf swap yet.

It runs pretty good alright, but I think I hear the beginning of a rod knock or cracked flywheel or something else like that.

Clutch pedal is super sloppy like the tranny shifter too. I really like the idea of a manny tranny for tooling up and down the logging roads though, so I guess I'll stick with that.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2024, 05:57 PM   #9
justaburbn

Did 3/4 ton front axles normally ever come with 1/2 ton suspension or is this a legit 3/4 ton suspension?

It won't allow me to post pictures now for some reason. I'll try to get that figured out here soon.

only 3 long leafs in front. 8 lug. 10 bolt.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:01 PM   #10
justaburbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Cool rig, and I'm interested to tune in. Sorry that that's not much help but enthusiasm should count for something ; )
Thanks! Enthusiasm definitely counts a lot.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:58 PM   #11
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

hi, glad to see ya aboard. you will find alot of information on the board. I think this might help with VIN decoding. LMC truck has a page in their catalog dedicated to VIN's. I am pretty sure you can look it up on (in) there. I imagine that the page is available on-line (their website). LMC is a good resource for parts & knowledge....

good luck & keep us posted.
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:37 AM   #12
justaburbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
hi, glad to see ya aboard. you will find alot of information on the board. I think this might help with VIN decoding. LMC truck has a page in their catalog dedicated to VIN's. I am pretty sure you can look it up on (in) there. I imagine that the page is available on-line (their website). LMC is a good resource for parts & knowledge....

good luck & keep us posted.
Thanks rodstored! I'm happy to be here. I don't really know how to navigate around or anything too well yet.

When you refer to information on the board, what is the board and how do I find it? Why does this sound like a dumb question to me? I suppose anyone could answer this. If only I was a teenager.

Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2024, 06:08 PM   #13
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I treat the whole website as a "board", navigation is to be learned thru time, generally you can "click" on a subject title and the link will take you to all things related to that as well as "sub groups" related. example: click on 67-72 chevytrucks & you will go to all things related to those specific truck ... and so on. I would highly suggest finding a few hours & just click on text titles that you are interested in. good luck!!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote