The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
aldtime

Hideaway Hitch and pulling trailers

Pulled the trigger and ordered a hideaway hitch from early classic, cant wait to be able to pull my trailers with the blazer! Any of you guys pulling trailers? Wondering how much the rear end will sag...
aldtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: Hideaway Hitch and pulling trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldtime View Post
Pulled the trigger and ordered a hideaway hitch from early classic, cant wait to be able to pull my trailers with the blazer! Any of you guys pulling trailers? Wondering how much the rear end will sag...
The rear won't sag if you're using a load leveling hitch. The problem with the Blazers is the 104" wheel base and the high center of gravity. You didn't mention what type of trailer you were planning to tow.
I have a 21 ft Jayco that is rated at around 5000LBS GVWR that I tried to pull with the Blazer , but it's not a comfortable feeling especially if there's any cross winds, and it will be white knuckles during the whole trip. It's not bad if you're only going 30 minutes away, but when I attend a show and will be camping, I'll use our popup trailer. It's GVWR is 2200lbs and tows great. The biggest issue is not so much the weight, but the surface area of the side walls. If you're planning on towing a boat, you'd probably be OK, but I would still recommend a load leveling hitch for anything with a rating of 4000LBS or higher.
Dan
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
truckster

I towed our 79 Camaro home on a tandem axle trailer. Above 55 it felt really squirrely. It got really bad once it started to rain.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
Blazer690

I pulled my 4800 lb. boat 1200 miles in AZ this July. 2wd went as fast as 70 but it liked 55 to 60.
Attached Images

Blazer690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
aldtime

yeah no plans to tow long distance, I know short wheelbase trucks not so good for towing, I have a 16X7 car hauler that I mostly use to haul alfalfa for the horses and the occasional trip to the dump, both very short trips...besides a load leveler anyone using air shocks? Have a friend that swears by them but I have never used 'em...
aldtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldtime View Post
yeah no plans to tow long distance, I know short wheelbase trucks not so good for towing, I have a 16X7 car hauler that I mostly use to haul alfalfa for the horses and the occasional trip to the dump, both very short trips...besides a load leveler anyone using air shocks? Have a friend that swears by them but I have never used 'em...
If you need air shocks when towing, then you have too much tongue weight.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
Blazer690

My rig has air shocks that I added behind the dif. Also it has the air pressure dash gauge from a 2 ton truck. Went to the junk yard and got a air compressor out off a '97 roadmaster. Works great
Blazer690 is offline   Reply With Quote