The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Oil capacity of 350 V8? Also, what say you about synthetic?

Going to change my oil, but need to know how many quarts to purchase?

Also, I'm a synthetic fan, but curious if this would be ok to use on a '69 350 V8 with a rebuilt motor? What oil do you use?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
doubleb's69

Re: Oil capacity of 350 V8? Also, what say you about synthetic?

If it has a stock pan it is 5 quarts. I just use Valvoline 10W40 standard type oil.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
cdowns

i'm a huge fan if synthetic's engine tranny rear wheelbeaings anything and everything that ican use it on i do

i like mobil one
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

x2 on 5 quarts with a stock pan. No problem using synthetics.... I do in gearboxes but I don't personally see the justification in most engines. I use Chevron 10W30 dino and change it regularly, and use a quality oil filter.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
weever82

I use Castrol 10W30 with good results, can't justify the synthetic for the engine. Also if you have a few leaks the synthetic will leak even more... FYI

Weev-

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
jd7

SYNTHETIC IS GREAT IN THE NEWER GENERATION ENGINES.
Sorry the caps lock was on. but i think with the greater tolerances of the older designed motor it does not do as well.
jd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

In my opinion, changing to synthetic just to use synthetic, is a waste of money.

On the other hand, if you're dealing with a new crate engine or a total rebuild, then it might be something to consider. The supposed advantages of synthetic over fossil oil will take some time and miles to become apparent. The military uses synthetic and takes periodic samples to send off for analysis. That would be for aircraft usage. In theory, the synthetic lasts and lasts, and the periodic analysis is what is used to determine when/if it should be changed.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
72 tigger

I thought someone on this site used synthetic & ruined thier engine- it does'nt have zinc?- like the conventional does. Somebody in CA? I may be wrong
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Probably on initial cam break in with a rebuild. Sure it's happened to more than just one.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
I thought someone on this site used synthetic & ruined thier engine- it does'nt have zinc?- like the conventional does. Somebody in CA? I may be wrong
There is no zinc in modern conventional oil either
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Probably on initial cam break in with a rebuild. Sure it's happened to more than just one.

Gary
X2
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
GMCJOE

If you are going to purchase synthetic oil, make sure you purchase fully synthetic, as to get the most out of your money. Read the label on the bottle, cause a lot of them these days are blended. I have ran both, switched back and forth between conventional and synthetic. I usually purchase what is on sale for Castrol. I don't switch brands off oil.

The Army sent me to a advanced class a year or so ago, the older gentleman teaching the class brought up the two oils. This guy has vast amounts of knowledge and certified in every aspect of the automotive field. He made sure he brought up the fact he was around when synthetic oil was first introduced in the 70's. This is what he told us: If you feel you want to run synthetic and can afford it, your choice. Fully synthetics have a longer life for mileage (8-10K miles) and you don't have to change for seasonal as the viscosity stay the same. Synthetics are also chemically made and have no minerals. He added the fact that you may gain a few more HP. Conventional oil is made from minerals and has a running life span of about 6000 miles (the myth of changing oils every 3k was brought around by the companies producing the oils). Has to be changed for cold and hot weather temps to a different weight. Another thing he mentioned was there is no harm in switching back and forth between the two, it's just when you have to change the oil that makes the difference. And beware of buying synthetics that are promoted as synthetics and are actually blended, basically you are just paying over paying. He also told us it doesn't matter the generation of engine for running types of oils, just what they are specified to run.

I have ran all three in my older vehicles and newer. If it wasn't leaking before I put the synthetic in, it wasn't leaking afterwards either (high mileage or not). I didn't feel any performance differences. My rule of thumb for the oils is, I stay with one brand. I have no problem running conventional, blended, or fully synthetic. But, I do ensure that I am getting a deal when I purchase, or base it off of if I am making a trip from Kansas to Maryland and back. Just my opinion.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust

Last edited by GMCJOE; 10-21-2012 at 06:38 PM.
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Fldawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
in conventional no , but there is some good oil out there with zinc in it
i use brad penn oil, it's cheaper than synthetic and it has zinc, you can also use joe gibbs racing oil but it's more expensive than brad penn, by the way the brad penn oil is the old green kendall formula for those that remember that
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
dwarf717

Use diesel rated oils such as Shell Rotella, or Castrol Hypuron (good stuff!!!) or any motorcycle rated oil. They still have plenty of zinc for the older engines. NO regular motor oils including synthetic contain zinc anymore. Zinc is needed for proper valvetrain lubrication in older engines
dwarf717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf717 View Post
Zinc is needed for proper valvetrain lubrication in older engines
And if your heads have been rebuilt within the past several years, you probably had hardened seats installed, so zinc is no longer required.... right? That's what I was told when my heads were done several years back.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
sjarrett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
And if your heads have been rebuilt within the past several years, you probably had hardened seats installed, so zinc is no longer required.... right? That's what I was told when my heads were done several years back.
I believe the hardened valve seats had to do with leaded or unleaded gasoline. Zinc in the oil has to do with stuff like flat tappet cams and such.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Fldawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf717 View Post
Use diesel rated oils such as Shell Rotella, or Castrol Hypuron (good stuff!!!) or any motorcycle rated oil. They still have plenty of zinc for the older engines. NO regular motor oils including synthetic contain zinc anymore. Zinc is needed for proper valvetrain lubrication in older engines
there is no zinc in delo or rotella anymore hate to tell ya, if you don't believe me check
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

From my research on oils,I can find nowhere that zinc has been banned.It seems that in all I have read that some zinc is still included in most oils and that other anti-wear additives have been included in at least some.Nowhere do I find that synthetic is better or worse than mineral based oil.I also haven't found anything about changing between the different(syn-blend-mineral) types causing problems.About the time the synthetics started hitting the market,I took several industrial lube classes and never was taught that there was any difference in lubricity.There are some problems with mixing and I don't fully understand but all I have found say not to mix but you can use a blend(isn't thathe same thing?).About that same time I was involved in upkeep on a fleet and they had gone to Mobil synthetics.Their test agreement with Mobil was to run Mobil synthetic in their fleet.Changes were done every 12,000 mi but the filters were changed every 3000 and a quart added.This was in the 70's and the test was scheduled to run for several years.I do know that in the 2 years I was involved there were no serious engine wear problems noted.This was in the early/mid 70's and the fleet(or at least what we took care of) consisted mostly of 1 tons racking up 30,000 or so a year.Each oil change had to be sampled for testing by Mobil.Who knows what they found but I'm sure they are still doing some of this type of research.
I have seen the cam manufacturers all seem to require the use of an antiwaer additive(I'm assuming a lead) for cam break-in.Most have their own proprietary additive,made to their specs.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Thumbs up Re: Oil capacity of 350 V8? Also, what say you about synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
I believe the hardened valve seats had to do with leaded or unleaded gasoline. Zinc in the oil has to do with stuff like flat tappet cams and such.
Now that you've jostled my aging gray matter.... yup, I think you nailed it. My thought process was flawed (again!). If oil affects the valve seats, you have bigger problems... Thanks!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Thanks for the replies everybody!

I bought some full synthetic castrol today for only $17.29. Not sure if it was a price mistake or not, but that's a great deal in my book for full synthetic oil. I changed it today, and it seems to run great, although its probably in my head.

I'm sold on synthetic, and have for years. Just needed opinions on this vehicle
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Mister-B; 10-21-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #21
Pont406

from crower site:
Use of Synthetic Oils
Crower does not recommend the use of synthetic motor oil in any application, particularly in hydraulic and flat tappet camshafts. If your car manufacturer's owners manual suggests running synthetic oil, you may do so. The minimum gains in horsepower are offset by the excessive wear to cam and lifter surfaces. We have found that the benefits, of synthetic motor oil, do not outweigh the costs and may endanger your engine's life. Crower recommends a non-detergent / race only petroleum based 30wt. motor oil in all performance applications. The lack of phosphorus and zinc in current oil blends is catastrophic to engine longevity. For all applications we do recommend running our ZDDPlus additive, which adds zinc and phosphorus back into the oil. For additional information on oil, click here!

http://www.crower.com/faq/#h
Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #22
Hubscrub
Cruzin

regular old pennsoil 10w-30 has worked for my bunch of vehicles for years..........

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
richards72chevy

I dont know if its any good but i switched from valvoline to the new quaker state defy motor oil.It claims to have more zinc in it.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #24
silverbullett

I swear by Valvoline VR1 30w. It's one of the few oils that still has High Zinc and Phosphorus.
silverbullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #25
69GWC

Used quaker state for years and never a motor issue, run synthetic. In my 06 since new, well all my trucks/cars.
For some reason I cant get that I will run Castrol.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote