The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
hfd410

need power steering help

I swapped my 71 with a 5.3 and TKO600 5spd. It has around 800 miles with zero issues until recently. While bouncing off the rev limiter I lost power steering and the pump was howling. I have the stock LS power steering pump and stock but new gear box. I used the adapter fitting and detroit speed -6 power steering lines.
So I replaced the pump with new one, bled it correctly and it was fine at idle. As soon as I got on the road it started howling (new pump) and burped all the fluid out of the cap. I see where guys use the stock LS pump without issues or reducing pressure. Anybody have an idea on what would cause a stock LS power steering pump with stock style saginaw box to not get along ? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:00 AM   #2
Duck1

Re: need power steering help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfd410 View Post
I swapped my 71 with a 5.3 and TKO600 5spd. It has around 800 miles with zero issues until recently. While bouncing off the rev limiter I lost power steering and the pump was howling. I have the stock LS power steering pump and stock but new gear box. I used the adapter fitting and detroit speed -6 power steering lines.
So I replaced the pump with new one, bled it correctly and it was fine at idle. As soon as I got on the road it started howling (new pump) and burped all the fluid out of the cap. I see where guys use the stock LS pump without issues or reducing pressure. Anybody have an idea on what would cause a stock LS power steering pump with stock style saginaw box to not get along ? Thanks in advance.
you need SUV pump. Pick up is lower pressure for rack and pinion
Duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote