The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Mastercylinder brand

Noticed a decent size leak on the brake booster, down the firewall and under the master cylinder. That will need my attention asap. I have never had to replace a master cylinder before, what brand should I buy/avoid.

Thanks in advance for you help!

'84 c10 350/350
Attached Images

Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: Mastercylinder brand

few napa units on mine . just did a carquest on a friends . and for the few extra bucks just get it with the tank on it .

do NOT bench bleed them with the stupid plugs they give you now a days . get a hose kit or make your own from 2 hard lines and a extra set of hard line nuts .

i did one with the plugs and it never felt right clamped in the bench vise using a long screw driver to plung it . took them out and did the hard lines i had ( had to go looking for them ) and the unit belched so much air it wasnt funny . felt super after this . installed and bleed system good to go .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
MikeB

Since you're in Texas, I suggest buying one from an O'Reilly Auto Parts store. If it doesn't fit, it's easy to return. And more than likely it will have a lifetime warranty.

My truck's power steering pump, alternator, and radiator are from O'Reilly and have a lifetime warranty. Pretty hard to beat that!

As far as brands go, Raybestos, Wagner, and even AC Delco master cylinders may all come from the same factory as O'Reilly's BrakeBest brand. It's not like back in the day when each company made it's own products in Ohio, Indiana, or Michigan. I have a few of O'Reilly's BrakeBest parts, and have never had a problem with them.

BTW, make sure you get the correct M/C. Your truck probably has code JB3 brakes, which use an M/C with 28.6mm bore (1-1/8").
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 06-14-2019 at 05:52 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
jocko

Agree with Mike - but local to make a return simple. I like Oreily also, but any of the chain stores will do.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

I bought a Raybestos master cylinder for my 83 C20 and it leaked after one year. I replaced it with a AC Delco master cylinder and it lasted about 15 years and 45,000 miles. I now need to replace that AC Delco master cylinder and I bought another AC Delco one. I painted the new ACD mc because the factory cast finish rusts in about 6 months, even in the dry AZ desert. I also painted my existing ACD brake booster(which had also rusted) at the same time. The dicrhromate finish ACD puts on their boosters turns to rust quickly. I have noticed that newer model boosters come painted from the factory, not dichromated, so maybe they learned something.

Aa near as I can tell, all of the master cylinders are rebuilt parts, even the AC Delco ones. I have the cast iron type, not the plastic type, so maybe the plastic ones on a C10 might be new parts. The AC Delco parts cost a lot more, and all of the ACD parts seem to be made in China or Mexico, but I think they may have better quality control than other imported parts, but that is just a guess. Rock Auto seems to have the best prices, but sometimes you can get ACD parts on Amazon or elsewhere for a bit lower price, but I still trust Rock Auto over someplace I don't know.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote