The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
cst 72 blazer

Heinz 57

Hey everybody! my name is Chris and I'm 27 years old. my wife and i drive square body Chevrolet's that we cleaned up but the first gen blazer has always been my favorite.my dad had two of them when i was little and ive wanted one ever since. his name is Heinz as is my middle name.i have a total of 3 first gen blazers two of them are total rust buckets parts trucks and the two tone cst seems to have the best body but worst frame. the plan is to use the best frame from one of the two parts blazers clean it up good a use POR15 and stainless brake lines. for the body work i plan on replacing both bed sides or quarter panels. possibly rockers. im going to shoot for the rocker boxs made with the 1 inch square tubing ive seen pics of around here.and of course what ever else i dig up in the tear down.i also would like to use poly body mounts but i cant find a kit that comes with bolts.seems to be a common problem.. im sorry to say i do not want to keep the orange on this blazer reason being is that every one ive seen in the area on the road "not counting mine" are orange. i like to be different so im thinking 518 medium green or maby blue. well enough talking here is what I got I will post more pics soon!

72 cst
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

72 blazer PARTS truck

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

71 blazer PARTS truck

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-04-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
cst 72 blazer

Re: Heinz 57

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
cst 72 blazer

so the past week as I got time I started taking the parts 72 blazer off the frame. I feel it is the best frame I have.i got a sand blaster on the way,mean while I still have to get that motor and trans out. hope everybody had a merry Christmas!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

nice U bolts aye? haha upside down and broke! its all coming off anyway.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by cst 72 blazer; 01-04-2015 at 11:18 PM.
cst 72 blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #4
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Chris...that is one monster of a SPID. If you haven't already, you gotta get a better pic of that and post it in the Blazer SPID thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=586670&page=8
1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
mtully79

Subscribed! Looking forward to the progress!
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtully79 View Post
subscribed! Looking forward to the progress!
x2....

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:39 PM   #7
cst 72 blazer

thanks guys! things have been crazy around the house lately but got some time today to get out there. motor trans and case are out and under the bench. got all break & fuel lines off .got one cross member ill need to replace in the back. looks like someone bent it jerking with a chain. The rest looks good. Sand blaster came today hope to have that done and the POR 15 next saterday!

body mounts

stainless break line kit

skiping ahead of my self a little here but ive been wanting to use 062 vortec heads for this project but just so happens the other night I was having a drink with my father in law and we got on the subject and he gave me these sweet 186 double hump heads!i love old school stuff and I am excited.i am aware they wont flow like the vortec and im fine with that he said they came off a 69 Camaro and next to them under the bench was a 302 sbc! I have never put a aftermarket cam in a truck like this before. was thinking the comp xe262? any ideas? pros cons?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
Justin@EntropyRad

cool build
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
Chulisohombre

Good stuff. I need a blazer graveyard too. Watching your build. Fun to watch someone else go through the process.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
cst 72 blazer

thanks guys! believe it or not Chulisohombre the 72 parts blazer im using the frame off of used to belong my buddys dad and we used to ride to high school in it!I used to bug him to sell it to me then later his son wrecked it and it sat in the woods ever since. 11 years later it became mine and here we are . so I got under the 71 the other day to rob the cross member I needed to replace the bent one and it was rusted to pieces.so needless to say I pulled the bent one off and played with it in the press for a while till I got it back straight. ive been taking the cross members to work for sand blast and undercoat.one piece at a time like ol Johnny Cash ! I think we are going to take the frame to a friend of mines house for sand blast and under coat now.i just cant get it warm enough out here in my pole barn to feel good about painting it .

sorry for the poor quality of the first pic all I had was my phone with me.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #11
Chulisohombre

Cool story. At least parts are being used to make yours good again. Better than rotting in the woods for sure.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #12
cst 72 blazer

awesome weather in toano VA this weekend we took full advantage of it!

the wife jumped in!

Old 02-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
Chulisohombre

Lookin good. You use por15 or something else. I'm still thinking about what I want to use.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #14
cst 72 blazer

yea POR15 from east wood. great stuff!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #15
cst 72 blazer

Sorry I've been laying low so long. I went through a divorce but managed to keep all my all my blazer stuff ,shop and home�� I've finally got my financial business straight so this winter I plan on taking this project to the limit ��
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
Chulisohombre

That sucks. Been there done that. At least you got to
Keep your stuff. I had to sell off my assets and split the profits.
She got her car and i kept my blazer. Divorce sucks but if
You're not happy, what's the point. Upside is you Got more
Blazer time.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
cst 72 blazer

Guess who is back and ready for action! Divorce really sucks and has been a major struggle but I've managed to work everything out and I'm going to hit this as hard as I can and get it back on the road again!

I ended up doing something a little different with the motor. 11:1 / 355! Put it in the new frame last night and started taking the clip off the blazer.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #18
jaros44sr

great work, also helps to keep your mind busy. Not to be a wise a$$, but I would chain up my compressed gas tanks.

How are you going to fix the wheel eyebrow sheet metal? I have the same problem, and need advise

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #19
cst 72 blazer

-Jaros, I'm planning on doing full length quarter panels on both sides. My inner quarters are in pretty rough shape.

Also forgot to mention I did go with the ORD engine cross member, and the DIY4X shackle flip kit on the rear end w zero rates.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #20
Chulisohombre

For a quick fix I did bondo on mine thinking I would need to fix it later with new quarter panels. It has held up another ten years. I figured a ten dollar can of bondo over a 500 dollar quarter panel until I got other things fixed first. But it has held up way better than expected.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #21
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
For a quick fix I did bondo on mine thinking I would need to fix it later with new quarter panels. It has held up another ten years. I figured a ten dollar can of bondo over a 500 dollar quarter panel until I got other things fixed first. But it has held up way better than expected.
Brother, I do not doubt you but, was there any rust prevention done to allow it to last this long?

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #22
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst 72 blazer View Post
Sorry I've been laying low so long. I went through a divorce but managed to keep all my all my blazer stuff ,shop and home�� I've finally got my financial business straight so this winter I plan on taking this project to the limit ��
Posted via Mobile Device
You're a lucky man, IF we were to separate she would hang my private parts from the work shop wall

You did well, to keep every thing

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-16-2018, 03:17 AM   #23
Chulisohombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Brother, I do not doubt you but, was there any rust prevention done to allow it to last this long?
I sprayed the rust changing primer under the lip of the quarter then painted behind the underside. Then bondo the lip and sand it to match the rest of the lip. If bondo is done correctly it will last quite a long time if rust doesnt keep eating the metal under the bondo. Mine looked very similar to cst62 blazer pics above. Obviously I didn’t plan on that being the final fix but after ten years it’s still holding strong.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #24
cst 72 blazer

Getting ready for lift off! The door supports are done!

o

Old 11-19-2018, 03:45 AM   #25
Chulisohombre

It’s nice having the top off. I took mine off and never want to put it back on. Lol.