The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2019, 02:42 AM   #1
parb

Toying with an idea...??

Full disclosure, the wife would kill me if she heard me say this....

I love my close to original 72 Jimmy. Restoring it was an awesome experience...

So what am I thinking about? I'm thinking, wouldn't it be fun to do a restomod of a Jimmy or a Blazer? Gen 1, modern suspension, modern efi engine, all disc brakes, modern transmission, modern AC with dual zone climate control, modern gauges, modern speakers (hidden), roll cage, 3 point seat belts, led lights, maybe a hidden light bar.

What do you think? What components would you choose? 2wd or 4wd is completely open, I would probably prefer 4wd but would be open. Air lockers?
parb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
BIG BLOCK JIMMY

Re: Toying with an idea...??

search for icon blazer for sale. I'm sure there's others out there. They sell (or ask) anywhere from $150K - $265K.
When I achieve three commas in my bank account I'll build one too.
Have fun and good luck
Old 11-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
rpmerf

At that point you might be looking more at ploping a 69-72 body on a 92-2000 blazer frame / drivetrain / suspension. Don't know if you might be able to use a new Tahoe frame. Might have to cut it down a bit.

This reminds me of an episode of Hot Rod Garage. They took a F100, like early 60's, and dropped it on a Crown Vic frame.

If you go full on restomod, there are a lot of decision to make as to how modern you want to go.
Vortec SBC or LS?
Auto or stick? How many speeds do you want?
4 wheel disc brakes shouldn't be too difficult.

Suspension REALLY depends on how you want to use it. A 2wd with some sport upgrade stuff should be sufficient. If you wanted to swap in an IRS 4wd front suspension, that could get difficult. Don't know how much the rear has changed over the years, but I consider 15 years old to be modern. I think you would be able to find more in the aftermarket that would suit your needs and bolt right in.

Climate control shouldn't be too bad. If dual zone is left / right, grab it out of a car. Car stuff is smaller and should fit under the dash better. Expect to do a lot of cutting and reshaping, or just installing take offs, and running hoses. If you mean front / rear, just grab the rear setup out of a suburban and fab it in. Might need custom lines, but that shouldn't be too bad. It's all made to fit around the wheel wells.

Gauges depends if you want them to look factory or like autometer gauges. Factory will be a bit harder. Might have to reshape the dash to make them look right.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
hemi43

Using a donor chassis under the Blazer body is a good way to throw money down the drain. You will be lucky to get half your money back out when you eventually sell it.
There's nothing wrong with the original chassis, so just do modifications that can be reversed. Late model engines and transmissions have been proven not to hurt the value of these trucks.
hemi43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

I have done everything one could do to the standard 73-91 C10 and C20 chassis, and suspension pieces. They handle great when tweaked for a more modern driving dynamic. Plus you could even upgrade A-arms, and big brake kits of you want. I never did that myself, but maybe one day.

The chassis stiffness can be dealt with a X brace or adding more cross members. I added more cross members one time, and was satisfied with the results.

As far as swapping the body onto a newer frame I think your going to end up with 3x more work then it would be worth to you. The perimeter frame of newer designs is a bit difficult to make fit, and requires major surgery of the body.

If you did want a awd Blazer. Just clip it onto your existing frame, and add a 4 link to the rear.

As far as new engine go LS, and get a 6 speed. Anything else leaves a lot on the plate. You could get a 4.3 LV3 like my 18 Silverado has, and likely feel you dont need more power. They are unloved so you can get everything cheap sometimes, and still enjoy fully modern set up.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
SeventyOne

I feel like the suspension would be the only difficult thing to pull off depending on what that means to you. Even still custom 4x4 suspensions are done all the time.

The rest of the stuff has been done in varying levels of popularity.

If it were me and I had all the time and money in the world...

LS7, 6L80e, 1 ton axles (D60 + 14 bolt) w/ discs, coilover suspension, then go wild with the dual zone AC or lightbars or whatever else trick you want to throw at it
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
parb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
I feel like the suspension would be the only difficult thing to pull off depending on what that means to you. Even still custom 4x4 suspensions are done all the time.

The rest of the stuff has been done in varying levels of popularity.

If it were me and I had all the time and money in the world...

LS7, 6L80e, 1 ton axles (D60 + 14 bolt) w/ discs, coilover suspension, then go wild with the dual zone AC or lightbars or whatever else trick you want to throw at it
This is kind of along my line of thinking. Maybe an ls3 crate engine, a bit less money than the ls7. Or the ls3 525, I have friends who built trick cars with that engine.

How would you go about the coilover suspension? Is there a kit or do you have to figure that out for yourself?

I'm day dreaming but my buddy is doing something super crazy with a 66 Suburban that he wants to display at sema next year. I'm itching doing something less extreme than what he is doing but I'm definitely having the itch....

Here is a sneak peek of what he is building... 502 cu crate engine. Air bags, 4 link, fox racing shocks, hydraulic tilt forward hood, full cross bar chassis reinforcements. I think he has 40" tires on right now. Its a beast!
Attached Images

Last edited by parb; 11-07-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
Ptjsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by parb View Post
This is kind of along my line of thinking. Maybe an ls3 crate engine, a bit less money than the ls7. Or the ls3 525, I have friends who built trick cars with that engine.

How would you go about the coilover suspension? Is there a kit or do you have to figure that out for yourself?

I'm day dreaming but my buddy is doing something super crazy with a 66 Suburban that he wants to display at sema next year. I'm itching doing something less extreme than what he is doing but I'm definitely having the itch....

Here is a sneak peek of what he is building... 502 cu crate engine. Air bags, 4 link, fox racing shocks, hydraulic tilt forward hood, full cross bar chassis reinforcements. I think he has 40" tires on right now. Its a beast!

When you get into something like this, or the Blazer you're talking about.....Saving money cannot be an issue.

Would be cool, but it's definitely not going to be cheap.

I've completely rebuilt a handful of cars/trucks, and although I definitely don't know everything, I do know that it costs a "ton" of money to do a full restoration on them. Even doing most things myself, it still costs a bunch of money!

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
coacharmstrong1990

If I were going to go that route with my K5 I would use a Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited (4 door frame). They are ROBUST and have full modern coil spring suspension with unlimited bolt on upgrade possible. Cut it to fit the wheel base of course.

LS swaps with JKs are easily done, so i would go with a L76 6.0 and 6 speed Auto. Prob look for Rubicon Dana 44s or if money wasn't an obstacle, Dynatracs. Id pron do vintage air for LS swapped trucks and dakota digital gauges.

custom built cage and like I'm going to use on my K5 JK wrangler seats, some people hate them but I drove my 2015 all over the country and never had an issue with comfort.
coacharmstrong1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
jaros44sr

Old saying... how to make a small fortune on building a truck, start with a large fortune, still applies today

good luck with your dream, hope it turns into a reality

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
parb

Well it's not like I'm thinking it's an investment...
But you're right, it may be prohibitively expensive to go down this route...
Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
wesmigletz

Quote:
Well it's not like I'm thinking it's an investment...
But you're right, it may be prohibitively expensive to go down this route...
I'm considering a similar build for our 1970 2 door. I will do a LS swap, add AC, PS, and 4 WPDB to the truck. I'm considering QA1 front and rear suspension because it is supposed to improve ride and handling, with the opportunity to maintain the factory stock ride height. I have a set of CUCV 15x8" wheels I will run. We're planning to use it for a fair weather daily driver and long road trips.

I just picked-up a LQ4/4L80E and I have a ZL1 Blower from another project that I may use as well. It should ride and handle similar to a late model SUV and hopefully keep up with them, too. It needs a fair amount of body and interior work, too. I expect to have another +/- $30K in it before I'm done. If I sold it after completion, I'd probably get my $$$ back. If I sold it during, I'd lose a lot, like any project.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #13
jaros44sr

the truck can be a blank slate, and you add what ever you want, it can be very theraputic, I spend endless hours in my workshop, My dream, when I retired, was to spend time in it, amassed all my tools as I was working,now I can build what ever I want.

If you want to build it, I say go for it! I just don't think the newer chassis is the answer, leaving the truck as it were designed is easier, then add the systems you want.

I have to admit, it is far easier to build stock, my truck has fought me for 20 years, and just today she is still fighting me.

If you have enough passion and money you will prevail. good luck and keep us posted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
jaros44sr

just my 2 cents

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

This has been a thing for quite awhile in old trucks, cars, and customs. If you have the dough and its what you want just do it. Should make a cool build thread …

What you waiting for .. I wanna see =)

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #16
parb

does any of the coilover kits available for C10 fit K5's?
or are they completely different (i don't know how much parts sharing GM did between models in that era).

I saw someone who makes a whole frame with coilover suspension (switch suspension), kind of pricey but in the end with the coilovers and an integrated fuel tank for EfI maybe that actually is a money saver?

I know i'm daydreaming a bit but that to me is part of the research helping me decide if i want to committ.
The alternative, to be honest is to buy a 3-5 year old jeep wrangler and bolt on ready made after market parts. Easy and relatively cheap and you get to do something that is functional and a bit personalized. Easy to get parts if something breaks.

Last edited by parb; 11-09-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:52 AM   #17
SeventyOne

Quote:
The alternative, to be honest is to buy a 3-5 year old jeep wrangler and bolt on ready made after market parts. Easy and relatively cheap and you get to do something that is functional and a bit personalized. Easy to get parts if something breaks.
Yeah but EVERYONE has a jeep with all the goodies added on. It's overdone in my mind.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
BIG BLOCK JIMMY

Don't fall for the jeep trap. Old, real jeeps are cool but the Chrysler ones are still Chryslers no matter how much you spend. Many, many guys at work have $70K- over $100K custom jeeps and they are always in the shop. ** Disclaimer: The aforementioned is IMHO as well as those mentioned that still own, complain and continue to throw their checking account at their jeeps.
I love the old trucks we have for many reasons, but mainly because they are memory time machines. HOWEVER, I would like to build a "1972" GMC Jimmy 4x4 out of all new components. Other than the hard top, I believe all the body components are available.
If you jump in for the big win and do this and don't go bankrupt and/or get divorced, I might have to build one too. I've been drooling over the No Limits complete frame assemblys....
Old 11-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #19
simicrintz

I'm gonna agree; way too many modded Jeeps that all look the same. IMHO, if you want to mess with a Jeep, go find one of these
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #20
BIG BLOCK JIMMY

OH that's BEAUTIFUL! Is that a Jeepster Commando? I need one!
Old 11-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #21
parb

engine, transmission and brakes doesn't worry me very much.
Neither does body, the work i did with my 72 jimmy took 2.5 years but it was straight forward once i got into it. I had a good base with a truck that wasn't too rusty.

But suspension is something i am not very comfortable with. And if i would try to make a modern daily driver out of a 72 blazer suspension would be high on the list. i would like for it to drive like a modern car with proportional steering, cruise control, and none of that scary body roll if i have to turn hard if i'm cut off in traffic.

i assume coil over suspension and modern sway bars will make it ride like a modern car? But are there proven kits that work? Or do i have to experiment until i find something that work? This is what worries me, i have zero experience in this area.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #22
simicrintz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLOCK JIMMY View Post
OH that's BEAUTIFUL! Is that a Jeepster Commando? I need one!
Thanks, Damon! It is a '68 Jeepster-good eye!
Old 11-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #23
parb

That jeepster is drop dead gorgeous!
Old 11-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #24
simicrintz

Quote:
That jeepster is drop dead gorgeous!
Thank you, sir!
Old 11-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #25
jaros44sr

Quote:
engine, transmission and brakes doesn't worry me very much.
Neither does body, the work i did with my 72 jimmy took 2.5 years but it was straight forward once i got into it. I had a good base with a truck that wasn't too rusty.

But suspension is something i am not very comfortable with. And if i would try to make a modern daily driver out of a 72 blazer suspension would be high on the list. i would like for it to drive like a modern car with proportional steering, cruise control, and none of that scary body roll if i have to turn hard if i'm cut off in traffic.

i assume coil over suspension and modern sway bars will make it ride like a modern car? But are there proven kits that work? Or do i have to experiment until i find something that work? This is what worries me, i have zero experience in this area.
well, that comes down to center of gravity, and that will be a challenge in a 4 wd, but not impossible

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim