The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2004, 08:54 AM   #1
TIMSPEED

[AirBags] How many Valves do I need?

Do I need 1 or 2 valves at each bag? I would think one, that I hit the switch to open it (lowering the truck), then hit the switch again to close it (allowing air to fill the bag) So, therefore, I would need 4 valves TOTAL (one at each corner). Right...or wrong? I read somewhere I need "Fill" and "Dump" valves..but don't quite understand that...
Old 04-25-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: [AirBags] How many Valves do I need?

Quote:
Originally posted by TIMSPEED
Do I need 1 or 2 valves at each bag? I would think one, that I hit the switch to open it (lowering the truck), then hit the switch again to close it (allowing air to fill the bag) So, therefore, I would need 4 valves TOTAL (one at each corner). Right...or wrong? I read somewhere I need "Fill" and "Dump" valves..but don't quite understand that...
You need TWO valves per bag for individual fill/dump control on each bag. One to fill and one to dump.

You asked about closing the valve to fill the bag ... how would you make this work? If you planned on a direct line from the tank into the bag, with no valve, then the bag is gonna "equalize" at whatever pressure your tank is holding. And you will have no control over the rate of fill ... in other words, no TWEAKING of the pressure or ride height.

Think of it this way ... one valve is like a faucet ... you open it and air flows into the bag. You can control the rate or flow by "bumping" the switch ... thus controlling the pressure, which in turn controls the ride height. The second valve is like a drain. You can open it wide open, and dump ALL the air ... or you can "bump" it and gradually let out the air ... same as the fill valve, adjusting the pressure.

You CAN use two valves, setting up your system to control either FRONT for one pair of valves and REAR for the other set. Or , I suppose, you could set your system up so each pair of valves control one SIDE or the other. (right / left) I dunno why one would want to set their system up with a side to side control only though. Setting your system up this way is the same as described above, but now, each PAIR of valves control a PAIR of bags as opposed to an individual bag. You would hit the FILL valve and the front would rise ... hit the DUMP valve and the front would fall.

Click Here to see an 8 valve FBSS (front-back/side-side) diagram.

Hope this helps ....

Last edited by Shane; 04-25-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:25 PM   #3
TIMSPEED

Thanks Shane! Makes sense now...After I posted, I was thinking, and I realized that I would need TWO valves PER bag to get 4 way action...Hmm..I guess then the BIGRED Valve thing from AirRide ISN'T such a bad deal afterall (Because it would eliminate buying 8 $35 valves, and would also clean up the install cuz they'd all be right there together in a nice little box.)
Old 04-25-2004, 11:22 PM   #4
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Quote:
Originally posted by TIMSPEED
Thanks Shane! Makes sense now...After I posted, I was thinking, and I realized that I would need TWO valves PER bag to get 4 way action...Hmm..I guess then the BIGRED Valve thing from AirRide ISN'T such a bad deal afterall (Because it would eliminate buying 8 $35 valves, and would also clean up the install cuz they'd all be right there together in a nice little box.)

The BIGRed valves are awesome. Having them as a manifold makes the setup clean and simple.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
KutThroatKustoms
drag body or die

The BigRed valves also arent as fast as some of the others out there. Now you can have 1 valve per bag and do both movements, its called a "3 way".. GC makes a 3 way 450psi valve for 150 each.

The little individual valves are generally diaphram valves. You can go with 2 for the front, 2 for the back, but you will get air transfer from side to side and your truck will sway at high speeds. Def doesnt feel safe when driving.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

I have four 3-way valves on my truck...... plenty fast for me.