The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
blazer2007

whats this ?

I got a bag of brackets and screws and such at the thrift store and can,t figure what this is, maybe a tool to sharpen a power saw ?
Attached Images

blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: whats this ?

looks like a chain link separating tool
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

what it sure looks like....pushes the pin out of the link of a chain..looks like part of its missing

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 06-03-2019 at 01:38 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
richard2717

It has been 35 years since I used one but it looks the same as the one i used for making bicycle chains
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Like this....I thought chainsaw chain at first but I believe your right..bicycle chain...
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
blazer2007

thanks it,s been bugging me, now I can trow it away
Old 06-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
thanks it,s been bugging me, now I can trow it away
Don't do that, just give it to the first kid you see on a bike and explain what it is. You'll be "That cool guy" in his eyes.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #8
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Don't do that, just give it to the first kid you see on a bike and explain what it is. You'll be "That cool guy" in his eyes.
+1. I remember painting a bicycle frame at age 12. A 1965 schwinn varsity, and the only components I couldn't figure out how to remove from the frame were the kickstand and the chain. Both were wrapped in masking tape for the job. I'd have been thrilled if I had a chain tool at that point.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:00 AM   #9
RustyPile

Every bicycle I had the chain had a master link.. Even my 1960 Cushman Eagle has one on the chain.. The only chain driven "vehicles" I ever saw that didn't have a master link in the chain were racing karts.. And the name of that tool you have is a Chain Break..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #10
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

When I was a kid of around 11 -12 years old I fixed my own bike chains ,, I had a master link and I would take links out or add them depending what bike I was working on.. I had 4 bikes at the same time .. I was the street dealer on bikes in the old sawmill town I lived in where my dad worked at the mill.. lived in company houses . would lay the bike on its side and install the chain in and around the frame and use a old chunk of rail road piece my dad had and put the link together and hammer the pins with a hammer on the out side of the link side to keep them together.. then loosen the rear wheel up from the frame and install the chain and then slide the wheel back to tighten the chain .. been many a years since I did this.. I never had the tool shown above ,,can not remember ever seeing one .. it would of been usefull in my younger days .
Old 06-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #11
shifty
Questionable

I've got a couple of these new-in-box in the shop somewhere (I rebuild vintage bikes)

Curious what other brackets and fasteners you may've scored but don't recognize. Some of my best scores have been grab bags.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
richard2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
When I was a kid of around 11 -12 years old I fixed my own bike chains ,, I had a master link and I would take links out or add them depending what bike I was working on.. I had 4 bikes at the same time .. I was the street dealer on bikes in the old sawmill town I lived in where my dad worked at the mill.. lived in company houses . would lay the bike on its side and install the chain in and around the frame and use a old chunk of rail road piece my dad had and put the link together and hammer the pins with a hammer on the out side of the link side to keep them together.. then loosen the rear wheel up from the frame and install the chain and then slide the wheel back to tighten the chain .. been many a years since I did this.. I never had the tool shown above ,,can not remember ever seeing one .. it would of been usefull in my younger days .
That is the same scenario as myself. Growing up I was know as the bike man to all the other kids. I would buy, sell and trade all the time. I befriended an older man in town that owned a bike shop and he is the one that gave me my 1st chain breaker. We were always wheeling and dealing with each other. I wish I still had some of the bikes I have had over the years. I really miss my diamondback. All I ended up keeping was my Mongoose even though I don't see my big ass ever getting on it again. I will never let it go other than to my grandson when he is ready to ride
Old 06-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #13
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
I've got a couple of these new-in-box in the shop somewhere (I rebuild vintage bikes)

Curious what other brackets and fasteners you may've scored but don't recognize. Some of my best scores have been grab bags.
sorry ,that was it
Old 06-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
sorry ,that was it
No worries, probably wouldn't be worth it to ship stuff down here from BC anyway. I've seen some really rare/weird stuff in bulk buys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
I really miss my diamondback. All I ended up keeping was my Mongoose even though I don't see my big ass ever getting on it again. I will never let it go other than to my grandson when he is ready to ride
For whatever it's worth, vintage BMX is seeing a huge explosion in popularity right now and - pit and freestyle bikes especially - are worth more than I've seen in my lifetime. Bikes I could've bought for $200 in 2010 I'd be lucky to score for less than $1k right now in mediocre shape (at best). Market is ripe for sale if you were actually willing to part (BMX isn't my thing, sadly).

On the flipside, I've watched vintage race and touring bikes take a nosedive in value these last 3-5 years, ever since rent-a-bikes and motorized scooter rentals picked up in major urban cities. Vintage racing/touring bikes have been my bread-and-butter the last decade-plus, where most of my slush fund was sourced. It's taking me weeks to sell at 20-30% less nowadays versus bikes selling within hours a few years ago.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #15
richard2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
No worries, probably wouldn't be worth it to ship stuff down here from BC anyway. I've seen some really rare/weird stuff in bulk buys.

For whatever it's worth, vintage BMX is seeing a huge explosion in popularity right now and - pit and freestyle bikes especially - are worth more than I've seen in my lifetime. Bikes I could've bought for $200 in 2010 I'd be lucky to score for less than $1k right now in mediocre shape (at best). Market is ripe for sale if you were actually willing to part (BMX isn't my thing, sadly).

On the flipside, I've watched vintage race and touring bikes take a nosedive in value these last 3-5 years, ever since rent-a-bikes and motorized scooter rentals picked up in major urban cities. Vintage racing/touring bikes have been my bread-and-butter the last decade-plus, where most of my slush fund was sourced. It's taking me weeks to sell at 20-30% less nowadays versus bikes selling within hours a few years ago.

I have noticed that. SOme of the Diamondbacks I have seen advertised for 3-8 grand which is crazy. Even my mongoose in rough condition is averaging 800-1100 bucks. Mine is in kinda rough shape but still very restorable. That will be for my grandson to decide but I probably wont give it to him until he is able to appreciate it for what it is.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
I probably wont give it to him until he is able to appreciate it for what it is.
I struggle on that one with my kids. I think appreciation is tough to achieve for anyone who didn't grow up in the era when that thing was new.

We coveted these things when were younger, I always wanted a mid-80s Skyway Street Beat so I'd kinda kill for a nice one now due to the nostalgia of looking at them over and over again in BMX and freestyle magazines back then drooling over it. Kids just don't seem to be there these days, and comparable styles of bikes are lighter/more optimized/easier now (for single speed and BMX bikes at least, not the case for race/tour stuff).

Majority of my sales on 1950s-1980s read/touring bikes are people who "had one of these when I was younger" and there's an occasional hipster or two trying to fit an image buying it. Those buying for nostalgia respects it for what it is because it was the new-new and awesome thing "back in my day".