The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2019, 06:55 AM   #26
Minkota

Re: Any benefit to non-ethanol gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The question I ask is, "What is the benefit of ethanol?"

The only problem with never running ethanol in any older vehicle is some states only sell ethanol, no option. I live in such a place. The two closest places to buy gasoline are almost an hour away.
It is my understanding that "Ethanol" is used because it is a less expensive way to increase Octane in fuel, which keeps the cost down to the consumer.

You may want to check any local Marinas near you, they often sell Non-Ethanol fuel.
Minkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #27
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Anecdotal evidence is not science. Organizations from the EPA to Consumer Reports, as well as all major car manufacturers, have debunked this myth repeatedly. Here's an example:

https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel...d-premium-gas/

The fact is that, regardless of the increase in octane (which is simply resistance to detonation), a gallon of ethanol contains less energy than a gallon of gasoline.

I don't have any beef with whatever grade of fuel makes you happy. But the question was about the benefits of non-ethanol vs ethanol-added gasoline, and the facts are well-established.
What ever makes you happy .
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post
It is my understanding that "Ethanol" is used because it is a less expensive way to increase Octane in fuel, which keeps the cost down to the consumer.

You may want to check any local Marinas near you, they often sell Non-Ethanol fuel.
Marinas, a station just into PA, and the one in VA that sell actual gasoline are all 40-50 miles away. Just not feasible unless I'm in the area. Then, what's point when I'm still running Ethanol 98% of the time? If it was feasible I would only run actual gasoline.

I'm pretty careful, but not a lot of effort put into all this. I run Startron in my mower gas. My gas cans are galvanized metal and they are fine. I mix when filling up. My mower sits all winter with fuel in it and it's 5 or more years old. So far so good.

My '72 sits with whatever fuel it had since last drive for the winter. I try to fill it up to sit, but usually doesn't work out that way. I dump the Startron in on top of fuel and hope it mixes. It gets started and run periodically through the winter. So far so good.

I had a '71 C/30 wrecker that sat un-started for a year and a half and had problems due to ethanol. I always say you are better off trying to start an old vehicle that has sat since before the use of ethanol with old reeking gas than with untreated ethanol 6 months old. The extenders only help so much and for so long. You can double the dose to get maybe double the time. But they say that's about the limit... no point in using any more or expecting any longer before fuel "spoils".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #29
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Ethanol fuel helps us get really good at carb rebuilding. Lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #30
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmerf View Post
I've been running E-10 in everything I own for the last 15 years or so. I only remember having problems a couple times where a small engine sat for long time without the gas drained. All my small engines, I run them dry at the end of the year, and they fire up first pull next year. My truck will sometimes sit months at a time. I pulled the top off the carb last month and it looked good and clean inside.
I've experienced the same. Truck and mustang have sat for months at a time as well. I use almost all steel lines, only using rubber where needed. I recently took apart my edelbrock carb that's been on the truck since 2002, and aside from needing some new seals and having a little bit of silt in it, it looked new inside still.

I also use it in my lawnmower which seems OK with it, it's 9 years old now.

My problems have been with small engines too. It ate the tiny plastic fuel line in my chainsaw and it kept eating the fuel line in my weedeater. I now spend the extra $0.50 per gallon for non ethanol for my weedeater and pressure washer, which is a PIA because I have 3 gas cans now - E10 for mower, Non E10 for pressure washer, and non E10 with oil mix for weedeater.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #31
rgunlock

This is what ethanol will do if you let it sit in a carb too long. Yes, that was "my bad".
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #32
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Do you recall how long that was? I think the LONGEST any of my toys has set without at least being fired is about 4 months (when I have them apart for something, like the 5 speed swap on my Mustang took forever because I kept getting a case of the "might as wells"). Most of the time I go through at least a tank of fuel per month in each of them.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #33
rgunlock

That was a few years. I'd put that carb on with a fresh rebuild when my truck was in the "just get it running good" phase and I didn't empty the gas out when my truck transitioned into full-restore phase. It never actually got driven between those phases

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #34
72c20customcamper

The myth that "high test " increases milage and performance in a an everyday vehicle is just that a myth . It has modifiers to make it LESS VOLITIAL. So it producess less energy but and the big but is you can run higher compression and cam to make more horsepower .. Pre ignition is just like a diesel the fuel detonates with compression good in a diesel bad in a gas motor. So if your car is made to run on regular gas use regular not high test.

Maybe people see an increase in mileage is that it's non or less ethonal than regular at the station . Ethonal lowers octane levels.

Most pumps say can contain up to 10 % ethonal . Really vague if you ask me
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #35
Red71gmc

The previous poster was correct about ethonal replacing the mtbe. MTBE never breaks down in the soil so leaky ground tanks caused ground water issues. Ethonal limits our need for foriegn oil and all the politics involved in that. Ethonal is produced here in the USA and is a constant renewable resource we raise. The distilled grain after ethonal is extracted has nearly the same value for life stock feed as before. It all makes great since and yes I raise corn.
To answer the original posters question, don't use the crap in older vehicles or even new 2 strokes. If your mower has a larger more expensive engine like a Vanguard or Briggs Commercial it will be fine. If you have a low end push mower with the cheapest engine Briggs makes, don't use it. It will ruin the carb.
I also have a store and sell mowers and 2 stroke powered equipment. 80 percent of our shop repair is ethonal ruining the small cheaper carbs. We chuck the old carbs and put on new ones and warn the customer to stop using it. We can rebuild and clean the powdery residue off the carbs but it pits the low quality meatal and comes right back.
I only use non ethonal in my 71. I get 2 mpg better fuel miliage and it starts right up. On the blend it is a little more tricky starting.
If you drive you older vehicle daily or very often you may be able to get by with it. As other posters have said it attracts moisture and is corrosive to some metals. If it is not sitting in storage it would be maybe ok. For storage or sitting long times I would put non ethonal in it or at minimum use the additive previously described.
I am of course a big fan of ethonal being a corn grower. I like the fact we are more independent from foriegn countries we would other wise not like at all. I like that it is a renewable source and we are not depleting resources. I also will admit all day long it has its issues and don't use it myself in everything.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #36
In The Ten Ring

My truck suffered a lot of rust in the fuel tank, lines, and carb, after sitting 10 years with (I assume) ethanol/gasoline mixed fuel. I have since fixed all of that and have only run 100% gasoline in it now.

All my stored fuel 100% gasoline.. I run 10% ethanol in my 2002 daily driver.

I never had any trouble running year-old ethanol mixed gasoline in my Craftsman mower.

*I have a thing for vented gas cans and have bought up a stock of vented gas cans, all metal, all vintage. Some 40 gallons' capacity all cans taken together. I have not yet used that "kerosene" marked gas can yet....which might make a few members happy.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #37
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

As mentioned it takes more ethanol to make the same amount of energy as non-ethanol fuel. I was told this many, many years ago and it seems to hold true. 10% ethanol will be a drop in MPG of 10%, back when it was 5% it was a 5% drop. I have only run across the 15% once or twice and the rule seems to hold true on that. I doubt E85 follows that rule. I try and run non-ethanol in my trucks, but when I am out of town they get what I find. Every time I put in the E10, I loose about 2 mpg. After running a couple tanks on non-ethanol I see my highway MPG back up to 18, on e10 its 16ish. I am not sure that the damage to rubber parts and all are as bad on the newer stuff as they changed the materials, but on my 60s-90s stuff it does seem to tear up carb gaskets, hoses and corrode the aluminum parts bad. Since it is so humid down here already, I don't need any help with moisture build up in the tank. My wife uses the E10 all the time in her 2011 Honda with no issues, other that the MPG difference.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #38
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I don't think about it because I really have no option where I live. You cannot get "Real gas' here. (Unless you go to certain restaurants)

I tried to find some non-Ethanol gas for my generator's because they just sit and I figured it would help. No dice. No way. So I just got some StaBil.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

There is canned non-ethanol fuel sold off the shelf... for a price! There is straight and 50:1 mix.

I gotcher metal fuel can ratcheer
Name:  IMG_2383.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  58.8 KB

I built an "outhouse" for all the yard tools last summer
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #40
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
There is canned non-ethanol fuel sold off the shelf... for a price! There is straight and 50:1 mix.

Attachment 1911050

Is that shed up against the "bad" neighbor's fence?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #41
In The Ten Ring

Nice little fuel shed. I have been planning a wooden "building" (what we'd call that down here) to store fuel, the mower, yard tools, etc.

Now that I no longer use a riding mower*, the planned shed will have a lot more room inside.

*I got to thinking, "It's just dumb to go to the gym for 2 hours of cardio then use a riding mower." I bummed a push mower and now, I get 3 hours of cardio one day a week with that. Probably get 6 hours this week since the rain has prevented mowing for nearly 2 weeks!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #42
72c20customcamper

Quote:

Attachment 1911050

Its sold as true fuel here at the depot. About 15$ a gallon i get non ethanol for 3.49 at the pump.

I like the shed .
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #43
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I like that shed too. I like the look of the corrugated steel. I've been wanting to put some up in my patio.
My buddy has some framed in his patio and has some vintage surfboards hung on it. And it looks very cool.
I thought I had a picture. But as usual, I can't find it.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #44
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, that's the neighbor with the trash stash down in the other corner. It's my fence. I told her it's a temporary shelter. Well it is, but the concrete it's built off of will be around longer than me . I built it on the spot where the dog house sat since I moved here. Same thing, just taller

I've got four out buildings, so they all have names. There's the outhouse/garden shed, wood shed, the shop is what I always called the little barn, the screen house/picnic house, and I just put up a carport, and that's what I've been calling it. I guess if I close it in it will be the garage

I think the can I have is True Fuel. My son bought it thinking it was mix, which I'll use in the saw around the end of winter cutting season. I run through my mixed fuel through the winter when the saw gets run regularly. I used to haul a can back from one of the non-ethanol places when I'd be in that area, but I don't like to haul fuel in the Suburban... other than the short drive from town.

Cheap was the theme with this building. Not just low budget, for the right look! I had the posts and all the lumber but a couple 2x4s for rafters. I wiped the galvanized (looked chrome!) down with vinegar last fall. I guess it's dulled out some. The plan is paint to match the house, but not until I do the house over. I'm letting it "age". There's a crescent moon cut in the door now. I poured a small pad in front of the door and threw down grass seed early spring. It holds a lot of stuff for 4'x4'...(and a triangle in the back)
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 06-12-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #45
72c20customcamper

True fuel comes in mix and straight.

I just bought a new compressor. Don't want it in the basement and the barn is 250 yards from the house. I'm going to be doing an outhouse for it in next couple of days. Went with the 60 gallon instead of the 80. The 60 is 1.5 cfm less at 40 psi but still 2 cfm more than I need for hvlp spraygun. And will run my sand plaster.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #46
special-K
Special Order

Nice. It will be happy living in it's own privvy. I have a friend with a collection of old outhouses he stores various things in. At first I thought that was odd, but look at us building them for our own purposes.

Tim