The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #26
RedBed

Re: Anybody collect old chainsaws as a hobby?

I only have 1, an ECHO. I keep it in a POULAN case so nobody will want to steal it.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #27
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBed View Post
I only have 1, an ECHO. I keep it in a POULAN case so nobody will want to steal it.
Nice haha I have a cs-590 for fire wood cutting.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #28
Hardworkinguy

I used to have a red XL-12 that belonged to my father. I used to use that saw a lot and it really did have great power.

I would like to have another one,but not necessarily for sentimental reasons. I also have a Brushking Model 321 that attaches to a Homelite XL12,and it is the undisputed king of cutting brush. Picture a 10 circular saw blade with no guards around it that can swing through a 3" sapling like a string trimmer through grass. OSHA would have a coronary it they ever saw that thing. I used to make sure my wife understood that NOBODY was to approach when I was using it because it would certainly slice through an ankle even easier than a sapling.

We just bought another property and I really could use it,if I only had a power head.
Hardworkinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #29
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Have you gone to the Great Oregon Steamup in Brooks Oregon, I have to believe it must be the the biggest chainsaw collection I've ever seen, the longest bars I've ever seen and they demo a lot of the old saws, they also have acres of hit and miss engines and much more. If you lay over for two weeks you attend the ATHS northwest truck show on the same grounds, We try to go every year. These are two events to behold. And if that isn't enough you can cross the river on the small car ferry over to McMinnville Oregon and go through the Evergreen Aviation Musem, the home of the spruce goose and maybe a hundred other aircraft. They even built a public swimming pool in a 2 or 3 story buiding with a 747 sitting on the top.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #30
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardworkinguy View Post
I used to have a red XL-12 that belonged to my father. I used to use that saw a lot and it really did have great power.

I would like to have another one,but not necessarily for sentimental reasons. I also have a Brushking Model 321 that attaches to a Homelite XL12,and it is the undisputed king of cutting brush. Picture a 10 circular saw blade with no guards around it that can swing through a 3" sapling like a string trimmer through grass. OSHA would have a coronary it they ever saw that thing. I used to make sure my wife understood that NOBODY was to approach when I was using it because it would certainly slice through an ankle even easier than a sapling.

We just bought another property and I really could use it,if I only had a power head.
I remember having one of those Brush Kings on our farm up in Maine. Ours didn't attach to anything, but had its own engine, much like a weed eater. Best thing ever to keep a filed clear of saplings. That old Techumseh 2 stroke 2hp engine would make that saw blade cut like crazy. When dad used it, he was extra careful, used the over shoulder harness and everything possible not to hurt himself. Occasionally though, something got hit due to blade deflection and that was it for that item. It was coming down as well as the intended item.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #31
outfield

We bought our first Stihl saw in 1973, went with my dad and grandpa to Roy Boys in Tigard, my Grandpa bought it, I was 13. I think it was on 031 with a 20 inch bar. My dad bought the second Stihl in about 1986 from Roy Boys, I believe an 034 with a 20 inch bar. Then I bought a Stihl 310 about 4 years ago. I have two in my collection.
The first two saws cut a lot of firewood for my Grandpa, my dad, and me. I cut a lot of firewood and sold in my spare time too. Hauled it in my '69 K20 for years... Paid for a few sets of 36 inch mud tires.
The good old days!
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:50 PM   #32
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...B5cQ_B0IlwIwFw

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:00 AM   #33
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Just finished another
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #34
outfield

Nice TJ!!
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #35
Mister319

My family owned a tree service here in Southern California for 70 years,unfortunately no one thought to keep old saws around, the only one I have might not have been ours but I still love it would like to know more about it. The bar is Remington, the engine is Tecumseh. And it is a beast.
Attached Images

Mister319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #36
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
Nice TJ!!
Thanks!
Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 AM   #37
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister319 View Post
My family owned a tree service here in Southern California for 70 years,unfortunately no one thought to keep old saws around, the only one I have might not have been ours but I still love it would like to know more about it. The bar is Remington, the engine is Tecumseh. And it is a beast.
That is a beast for sure !
Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #38
65truckowner

My dad just game me 6 homelite chainsaws I remember 3 of them growing up One was dads the other was his dads, then my great grandfathers on my moms side and one from my grandpa on moms side. I am going to try to get three of them going. I will try to get some pictures
65truckowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #39
4u2nv

Only one I've ever seen
Attached Images

4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:03 PM   #40
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65truckowner View Post
My dad just game me 6 homelite chainsaws I remember 3 of them growing up One was dads the other was his dads, then my great grandfathers on my moms side and one from my grandpa on moms side. I am going to try to get three of them going. I will try to get some pictures
If one or more of them are Super XL Homelites ,,then I personaly know that them are excellent saws ,,I owed two of them in my life time and cut many a tree down and made many chords of wood with one . I prefirred the 18 inch bar rather than the 23 inch because the 24 inch was to heavey and tipped the bar down on the end when I sit down on the ground to move a limb and made it hit rocks and dull the teeth of the chain..
Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #41
65truckowner

Yes there are a couple of super xl homelites. I will get some pictures soon. I used one of the supers when I was 14. I cut wood for my money all through high school. It was a cutting saw for sure
Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #42
65truckowner

Here is a couple of pictures of my sawsIMG_1623 by Daniel Crymes, on FlickrIMG_1624 by Daniel Crymes, on Flickr
Old 03-20-2019, 01:18 AM   #43
'63GENIII

I like the old Homies that you guys are posting. Wish I had a few that were older and worked well.

I bought my first saw in '96 at a garage sale for $13. Its a 1981 Homelite XL with a little 14" bar. In the time Ive had it, it's seen more cords of wood than I can count. In 2000, I bought a clearance Craftsman 20" which I thought was a re branded Homie. Still not sure if it was but it never worked well and was a bear to start.

It was back to the Homie for the next few years. Poor little saw working way harder than it was ever intended to until 2006 when I came across a Stihl AV 038 MagII with a 20" bar (mid '80s I think). Paid 100$ IIRC and it was in decent shape. Needed fresh gas and a good cleaning.

The 038 is a stinking hawg of a saw. I think it may be around 76cc and is way more power than I ever have needed. Ive heard that it will pull a 36" bar without an issue but the 20 commands plenty of respect for the machine. Im VERY careful when using it. It is my favorite saw now.

A year ago, I picked up an 026 just to fit the bill for things that the 038 is too big for and to give me a chance to really go through the Hawg to fix the oiler, replace a few parts and rebuild the carb.

I still have the Little Red Homie and will rebuild the carb sometime soon. I think when I do get around to getting it running good again, the 026 may go down the road. For a tiny little saw, I think it may have more grunt than the 026.

I frequently look for more saws on CL and yard sales but try and not let the wife catch me. She says I have S.A.D or Saw Accumulation Disease and am in denial of the sickness. Truth be told, I readily admit that if I had more space, time and money I'd be a full blown C.S.A. - Chain Saw Addict!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #44
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
I came across a Stihl AV 038 MagII with a 20" bar (mid '80s I think). Paid 100$ IIRC and it was in decent shape. Needed fresh gas and a good cleaning.

The 038 is a stinking hawg of a saw. I think it may be around 76cc and is way more power than I ever have needed. Ive heard that it will pull a 36" bar without an issue but the 20 commands plenty of respect for the machine. Im VERY careful when using it. It is my favorite saw now.
We had a Stihl AV 038 MagII at work and you're right, it's a fantastic saw! We ran a 32" bar on it.

Love seeing all the old saws in this thread. All I have now is a Stihl 042AV that I bought new back in 1982 with a 28" bar, and a newer Husky 350 with a 20" bar. Great little saw, it's the one I use most. Before I got the 042 I had an old McCulloch Mac 10-10 which gave me fits, never could get it to run right. It was the saw that convinced me to spend the money for a Stihl.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:06 AM   #45
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I never thought of my saws as collectible but they may be. These are the only saws I have ever owned and I still use both of them today. I bought the 20" Homelite Super XL new but I don't remember what year. The 10" Mac was given to me by my Father-in-Law and he bought it new also. I have never had any problems with either one of them. I have 5 Ash trees to cut down now that were killed by the Emerald Ash Borers. I guess I better get busy....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:46 AM   #46
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I had an old McCulloch Mac 10-10 which gave me fits, never could get it to run right. It was the saw that convinced me to spend the money for a Stihl.
An old story about that McCulloch.... Must have been around 1980, loaded up the family & tools and headed out looking for firewood on a cold spring morning. Found a nice tree just above a cut bank. Oak or madrone, I don't recall, back then you could fall 'em with a USFS permit. Crawled up the bank with that blasted yellow saw and it refused to start. After several pulls I noticed the ground at the base of the tree was crawling with yellowjackets. That was the only time I was glad the saw wouldn't start.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #47
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
An old story about that McCulloch.... Must have been around 1980, loaded up the family & tools and headed out looking for firewood on a cold spring morning. Found a nice tree just above a cut bank. Oak or madrone, I don't recall, back then you could fall 'em with a USFS permit. Crawled up the bank with that blasted yellow saw and it refused to start. After several pulls I noticed the ground at the base of the tree was crawling with yellowjackets. That was the only time I was glad the saw wouldn't start.
Great story Mike, funny too...bet that gave the family a chuckle..I have found a few bees after me when cutting firwood too.. this story reminded me of when I hired a logger to cut out some of my trees .. I had a big old Spruce tree out front of the house and the loggers hooked a skidder and a 450 JD cart onto it and still could not pull ot over ,,the roots on these trees go way out from the stump of the tree.

Anyways ,Dave started cutting down the tree and here came the yellow jackets out from around the tree bottom in the ground ,, he just kept on cutting as his carhards where aged with diesel from the cat and skidder and oil from the saw ,,the smoke from the saw helped too and he never got stung once ..
Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #48
65truckowner

Here is my latest addition Never seen one before. Dad gave it to me IMG_1681 by Daniel Crymes, on FlickrIMG_1680 by Daniel Crymes, on FlickrIMG_1682 by Daniel Crymes, on Flickr
Old 06-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #49
72c20customcamper

Dont collect but I have a few. This is one I've had for years dont use it much it's in to nice of condition. Had it out to start it today. Also have a few blue Homelite ezmatics

Even then they knew gasohol was no good.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 06-11-2019 at 07:09 PM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #50
72c20customcamper

My go to saws are a stihl 460 magnum and a 7900 dohlmar that's been hotrodded. Dohlmar has a 28 inch the stihl a 24. Do have a 350 husky and 290 stihl for the small stuff
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote