The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2019, 01:36 AM   #1
rmneder

NP205 spline coupler?

I've searched several old threads and still have a couple of questions. I had atf leaking into my transfer case so I removed the NP205 and adapter. The adapter is the older style with the bearing. I know I can delete the bearing and use the later style spline coupler if necessary. My question is, what do I look for on the original spline coupler to tell if it needs replacing? If its in good shape I would prefer to reuse it and just replace the seals and bearing. Also as long as the transfer case is out should I open it up and see what kind of shape its in? It seams like it was working fine and I know the atf didn't hurt it but I'm sure it hasn't been serviced other than new gear oil from time to time in the nearly fifty years its been on the road. Thanks in advance for any help.
rmneder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
67swb72klb

Re: NP205 spline coupler?

Mine has done that a couple times so far I took it apart and didn't see any problems checked the trans and T/C vents replaced the seals and it did it again a couple years or so after I did that??
Last time (over a year ago) I just drained off the fluid and filled the trans back up...