The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #1
focusedontheprize

Removing factory steering stabilizer bracket?

The previous owner of my truck appears to have upgraded the single steering stabilizer to a dual steering stabilizer kit from Skyjacker, however left the factory single steering stabilizer still connected (the stabilizer isn't good anymore anyways) and the factory bracket.

The factory bracket on the axle is interfering with the dual stabilizer bracket so I was going to remove the factory bracket completely.

Just to make sure I have everything correct:
- That is a factory steering stabilizer offered by Chevrolet when the truck was new?
- When people upgrade to a dual, do they end up removing that bracket or just leave it? I won't ever need that bracket again I am assuming

Thank you everyone, it is my first 4 wheel drive truck and I am learning about the suspension components.

focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Removing factory steering stabilizer bracket?

yes that is the factory stabilizer....wont hurt a thing if you cut it off...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
focusedontheprize

Out comes the cut-off wheel. Thanks Mongo.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:59 AM   #4
kwmech

Remove the Skyjacker crap, use the shock in the place of the bad factory shock.
If that is bouncing around while driving, you'll need to repair the wobble instead of throwing shocks at it. Looks like a 1 ton?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
77c10bowtie

like said above, replace the bad stabilizer shock with the good one and remove the aftermarket brackets instead of cutting off the factory one thats welded on nicely and tucked up out of the way.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I use the horizontal dual stabilizers and have never needed to cut the factory mount off the axle. In what way do you feel it interferes?

With big heavy wheels and tires I feel the dual stabilizers are a good idea. Not crap at all. I have gone with an upgraded stabilizer in factory position and notice the benefits of the dual over that arrangement. I use a single upgraded in factory position on all my IFS trucks, but also never run bigger than 285/75s or 255/85s. I have never expected a steering stabilizer to remedy bad front end parts. The ruts worn in roads like to steer a wide tire and vehicle condition has nothing to do with it, other than degree of severity

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Remove the Skyjacker crap, use the shock in the place of the bad factory shock.
If that is bouncing around while driving, you'll need to repair the wobble instead of throwing shocks at it. Looks like a 1 ton?
Yes the truck is a 1 ton crew cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
I use the horizontal dual stabilizers and have never needed to cut the factory mount off the axle. In what way do you feel it interferes?

With big heavy wheels and tires I feel the dual stabilizers are a good idea. Not crap at all. I have gone with an upgraded stabilizer in factory position and notice the benefits of the dual over that arrangement. I use a single upgraded in factory position on all my IFS trucks, but also never run bigger than 285/75s or 255/85s. I have never expected a steering stabilizer to remedy bad front end parts. The ruts worn in roads like to steer a wide tire and vehicle condition has nothing to do with it, other than degree of severity

My bracket here interferes with the top of the stock bracket.

I did end up removing the bracket completely and will be putting the dual stabilizer kit back in. Everything is painted flat black so the kit will not stick out, but the main reason is I prefer the dual stabilizer (I am running 35s") over a single and can always put the bracket back on if I want to go that route.