The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Rms

I really should just start a build thread, but this should be my last audio question for a while. My pioneer head unit has an RMS of 22 watts per channel (at least thats what the manual says), and a max wattage of 50 into each channel, the head unit has the usual 4 channels. So my question is, and I have searched the internet for 5-6 hours trying to find this out, is this RMS that my manual talks about, at a certain volume i.e. 1/4 volume, 1/2 volume, or somewhere in between. I want to know, so I can pick a pair of front speakers. When I'm in the truck by myself, I have 2 volume levels 1. the cops are close by/residential neighborhood and 2. Dont need to speed (loud as I can get with out destortion). The speakers I'm thinking of getting have an rms of 35 watts, but the peak power is like 180 watts. That just dont make sense, if I was into competition it may make sense, but why would they have a peak of 180 and an rms of 35, are you getting what I'm saying? Its like saying I have 180 watt speakers, but I can only play them at full power for a few minutes............. Any suggestions on what the rms should be on the speakers I buy, and at what volume is this stated rms? Thanks in advance for any input. Also , I dont think I will be buying those Crunch ones I posted.
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Classic69
Love That '69

Re: Rms

The RMS wattage of your deck (ie. 22 watts X 4 channels) is constant, but it is dependant on your voltage/amps coming from your battery/alternator. Most vehicles run at 14 volts which is what most manufacturers rate their stereo equipment to. If your voltage/amperage decrases, the output of your deck will decrease slightly. Even though your deck will only be putting out 22 watts RMS to each speaker, which has an RMS rating of 35 watts, that will be enough to power the speakers you are looking at buying. The only difference with the amount of power you have going to your speakers will be things like the volume, clarity, distortion, etc.

Take for example what I have in my '69 Chevy and what you are looking at doing. I have a 400W 4-channel amp powering my front/rear speakers. It's rated at 50W per channel, but it actually puts out 90W per channel. So I have about 90W powering each speaker. My front speakers are rated at 60W RMS/120W peak and my rear speakers are rated at 75W RMS/150W peak. So I have more than enough power going to each speaker. Your deck will be putting out 22W RMS to each speaker, which will be less than the RMS wattage of the speakers, but like I mentioned, it will be fine. Now, when you turn your deck to say 3/4 full volume, I would have to only turn mine to about 1/4 volume to get the same amount of output. Now, when I turn my deck up full blast it is very loud, has very little distortion, and is crystal clear. When you turn your deck up to full volume, it will probably be no where near as loud, have a lot of distortion, and won't be as clear. I don't know how else to explain it, maybe someone else can add something.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates

Last edited by Classic69; 01-05-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Classic69
Love That '69

Also, do not spend crazy amounts of $$$ on a set of speakers unless you are looking at adding an amplifier in the future. Speakers that cost more money can handle more power and are made of better materials so that they can handle being powered by an external amplifer for competition use. Just to give you an idea, I spent over $200 on my speakers.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates
Old 01-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Thanks Classic69!
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #5
Classic69
Love That '69

LOL........I haven't wrote that much in a while. Your welcome!!!

Last edited by Classic69; 01-06-2008 at 06:32 AM.