The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
SactoJim

Opinions on system needed please

First off let me say I'm not looking at having a "thumping" "scare the neighbors" stereo system. Most of the components I've had for a long time and acquired to settle a debt. I want to spend as little as possible, and the stuff that I have seems like quality components even though they are a good 10-15 years old. Just want a nice sounding system...Hell, I listen to country most of the time.

Kenwood Deck is new (see pic)

JBL 6.5" is 20-300watts (see pic)

JBL Plate is 5-120watts (see pic)

Amp is SoundStream Reference 405 (5 channels) (see pic and PDF for specs).

So here's my thinking....hook plates up to front channel, hook 6.5's up to rear channel, and then the sub to the mono channel.

Use one DVC 10" (slim style, dual 4 ohm) sub in a box behind seat. The mono channel of this amp is stable to 1 ohm and I'd run the sub at 2 ohm. Could even go 1 ohm with the right sub.

The deck has 3 sets of RCA outputs (use all of them) and crossover ability and I would not use any of the built-in amp crossovers, and let the deck handle that.

Run the 6.5's at full range, the plates in a high pass mode, and the sub in sub mode of course.

The PO hacked the bottom of the doors for 6x9's, so I would mount the plates and 6.5's in the door and build a nice cover.

Will my thinking with the crossovers work?

Any other thoughts and opinions please.....thanks!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Reference 405 Manual.pdf (71.5 KB, 109 views)
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread

Last edited by SactoJim; 12-07-2007 at 05:45 PM.
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: Opinions on system needed please

That should work, the only way to see is just try it out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim View Post
First off let me say I'm not looking at having a "thumping" "scare the neighbors" stereo system. Most of the components I've had for a long time and acquired to settle a debt. I want to spend as little as possible, and the stuff that I have seems like quality components even though they are a good 10-15 years old. Just want a nice sounding system...Hell, I listen to country most of the time.

Kenwood Deck is new (see pic)

JBL 6.5" is 20-300watts (see pic)

JBL Plate is 5-120watts (see pic)

Amp is SoundStream Reference 405 (5 channels) (see pic and PDF for specs).

So here's my thinking....hook plates up to front channel, hook 6.5's up to rear channel, and then the sub to the mono channel.

Use one DVC 10" (slim style, dual 4 ohm) sub in a box behind seat. The mono channel of this amp is stable to 1 ohm and I'd run the sub at 2 ohm. Could even go 1 ohm with the right sub.

The deck has 3 sets of RCA outputs (use all of them) and crossover ability and I would not use any of the built-in amp crossovers, and let the deck handle that.

Run the 6.5's at full range, the plates in a high pass mode, and the sub in sub mode of course.

The PO hacked the bottom of the doors for 6x9's, so I would mount the plates and 6.5's in the door and build a nice cover.

Will my thinking with the crossovers work?

Any other thoughts and opinions please.....thanks!
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Classic69
Love That '69

Sounds like you will have a pretty nice stereo system. JBL is a very good brand name for speakers. And Kenwood makes some good decks.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 AM   #4
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Only way to know is to hook everything up. I assume you have the matching plate to the one pictured...

BTW, where in Sacto do you live...?

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
SactoJim

Probably right.....just hook it all up and see how it sounds. I was a little concerned about 6.5's being too much....they are rated from 20-300 watts and each channel they will be on only puts out 40 watts.

I think about crap too much and it will probably be just fine....I was just looking for confirmation from the "sound system heads"!

I do have the other plate.

I live in Rancho Cordova and work in Roseville.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Classic69
Love That '69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim View Post
I was a little concerned about 6.5's being too much....they are rated from 20-300 watts and each channel they will be on only puts out 40 watts.

I think about crap too much and it will probably be just fine....I was just looking for confirmation from the "sound system heads"!
"20 watts RMS and 300 watts MAX" means that all you really need to power them is at least 20 watts. You'll have about 40 watts going to each one. They will sound clean and clear, but they won't be as "loud" as compared to being powered by say 100W. The "loudness" is really the only major difference.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates

Last edited by Classic69; 12-12-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Buffrock

I personally would crossover with the amp, soundstream has very good internal components. Even if you cross them over at a lower freq and then you can decide if you want to engage the head unit x-over as well.
Buffrock is offline   Reply With Quote