The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

trailer for storage

Since my divorce I have spent a lot of time consolidating my stuff, getting rid of stuff i no longer need, and bringing the stuff back together in storage at my moms.

I have been thinking of building a trailer for hauling stuff with my slammed project truck, and getting rid of my K20. This way I can still do heavy truck stuff with out wrecking my bed, and or breaking the rear end. My son is getting older, and wants to do more out of the neighborhood stuff. Maybe even boy scouts in another year. Plus the K20 is still a running project, and I need to cut down on time distractions. Plus the HVAC field is tough on time too especially in summer here.

So I have access to a pretty heavy duty boat trailer that I can use the parts from to build a trailer. The trailer bed would be a bit over 4 foot wide, and about 6 foot long. This way it will more easily fit on the garage, but with the gate down haul plywood easily enough. It would mostly be to haul engines, and other heavy stuff around when needed.

When not in use the bikes would be stacked on it, and maybe a few other things.

So how hard would a 2 wheel guessing here 1500 pound trailer be to roll around? The trailer would be about as low as the truck or just high enough to go over a speed bump at an angle.

If I want the trailer I have to take it soon, and don't want to waste time if it would be too hard.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:21 AM   #2
truckster

Re: trailer for storage

How hard it is to roll is going to have to do with several factors. Is it a single axle or double? Double axle trailers are a lot harder to turn when you move them manually. How is the weight going to be balanced? A slight bias toward the tongue is usually desirable. And how much will trailer and cargo together weigh? Keeping the tires near max inflation will help as well. I have a single axle 14 foot flat trailer with 18 inch sides and I move it by myself all the time, but I rarely have more than 500 to 700 pounds on it.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
cdowns

having a tounge wheel that folds out of the way when not in use will make it easier to wheel arouynd by itself
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

The tongue would be removable to keep stored length down along with having a trailer as short as reasonably possible.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
83 Silverado

If your just looking to move stuff under 1000lbs, you can get a Harbor freight trailer that folds up.
83 Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

They don't hold up well in my experience. We had 2 sbc's on obe, and it looked near failure.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Cape Codder

I roll this trailer in and out of the shop by myself. Going up hill takes some effort. The boat ,motor and trailer must weight at least 1500 lbs. I have a swing down jack with a wheel on it.

Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote