The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Iceburgh

Elcamino fit in here

Do you consider it a truck?

Old 12-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Elcamino fit in here

You'll get different opinions, but in my book, it's a pickup. GM called them that, they can carry and tow stuff. They even called the Vega panel a truck, which I think may be stretching it a bit, but there you go. That's a nice looking rig, though I'm not much into the lowered stuff. No insult intended, just my opinion.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Sure. But I'm also sure there are forums for them that are not this one.
A few come to mind such as:
https://chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showf...yword/ElCamino
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-group.321560/
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/forums.php
The only reason I say that is the information here wouldnt help you and your information wouldnt help others who build drive 60-66 c or k type trucks.
I'd probably contact the forum and ask if they would start a El Camino section - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/sendmessage.php
Wouldnt be a bad idea.

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 12-06-2019 at 11:13 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
sstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Sure. But I'm also sure there are forums for them that are not this one.
A few come to mind such as:
https://chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showf...yword/ElCamino
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-group.321560/
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/forums.php
The only reason I say that is the information here wouldnt help you and your information wouldnt help others who build drive 60-66 c or k type trucks.
I'd probably contact the forum and ask if they would start a El Camino section - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/sendmessage.php
Wouldnt be a bad idea.
Plus these bodies share many pieces with Late Great Chevies, another really good forum is NIA :
http://www.nationalimpala.com/
Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

The final answer on this is fact that the El Camino is most definitely a "pickup". Why get into the whole car/truck thing at all? And most pickup trucks started out as car-based vehicles and most station wagons started out as truck-based vehicles.

Sure is welcome here. It is a "GM commercial vehicle", same thing a truck, van, StepVan, and Sedan Delivery is. Since we have no forum to accommodate them, this is the place for them by year. I've suggested a forum for the GM Commercial orphans but it hasn't happened. Actually, there are also Business Coupes that are in the commercial vehicle category as well.

And BTW, nice El Camino!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
60-66

ElCaminos are in the truck Data Books from Chevrolet .
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
The Rocknrod

If you look at the Chevrolet Historical website there are two distinct downloads on a year such as 1964. They have they're own data different obviously from the C or K models.
Truck - https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf
El Camino - https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...-El-Camino.pdf
And it that download on page 41 is the Chevelles, part of the El Camino information download.
However they do list them in the truck section.
Just not a C10 or K10 by any stretch of the imagination.

87-91 GM Squarebodies are R and V series but they are allowed in the C and K forums. We even have a forum for Isuzus with Chevy Luv Badges on them.

Last edited by special-K; 12-09-2019 at 09:19 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
65 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Wouldnt be a bad idea.
That sounds like a good idea. I have a 64 El Camino on the back burner I need to get to.
65 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
kens65fb

Here's a "Truck" I just sold last month.
Attached Images

kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I guess another moderator thought different than me. In my opinion it fits in the years of trucks you posted it in since it is a GM pickup and we have neglected to provide a place for the GM commercial vehicles that need their own forum. Oh well. Go figure

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
yuccales

Both good looking examples of "open bed hauling stuff type of vehicles".
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #12
flashed

I was told many years ago my El Camino was not a truck here .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #13
davischevy

When I read the title, I thought to myself, here we go again, talking about El Camino's thinking to myself this comes up every two or three years.

Don't get me wrong, I love El Camino's, but I was dead wrong about the time line. I went to the top right of "General Discussion" and searched this thread, and the subject has come up a lot more often that I thought.

That in itself says to me that El Camino's are popular with truck guys.

special-K would be disappointed in me if I didn't post a picture of ours.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Did you all know GMC sold Sedan Deliveries with Pontiac sheet metal in the '50s to expand their light truck line-up? Did you know the first Chevy pickups were built on the Chevy car chassis? I guess Chevy Trucks hasn't had their 100th anniversary yet and all that hoopla was a farse

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
Both good looking examples of "open bed hauling stuff type of vehicles".
Nailed it! If they are cars then the stuff being hauled in the bed would be your kids, right? I mean, the argument always goes to "They are built on a station wagon chassis"
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I was told many years ago my El Camino was not a truck here .
Only by some. Never by many. I think people don't want to settle it out, would rather perpetually argue. Kinda like Capital Hill. Closed minded thinkers learn less. The El Camino is neither. It is just a pickup. Leave it at that. Cars don't have bodies designed more for hauling a load than carrying people. What do you call the portion of the body behind the doors? A bed, a pickup bed. It's the most worthless argument not worth the air it takes to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
When I read the title, I thought to myself, here we go again, talking about El Camino's thinking to myself this comes up every two or three years.

Don't get me wrong, I love El Camino's, but I was dead wrong about the time line. I went to the top right of "General Discussion" and searched this thread, and the subject has come up a lot more often that I thought.

That in itself says to me that El Camino's are popular with truck guys.

special-K would be disappointed in me if I didn't post a picture of ours.
That's right. You have met the minimum requirement.

When do we start arguing over the HHR Panel that isn't a car but sits on a Cobalt chassis? How about all these new little vans? Are they cars with no windows shaped really funny with no back seats? Does anyone know of any being used as a car?

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 12-10-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #15
davischevy

The turbo charged HHR is fun to drive, I don't care who you are. (This Thread is officially hijacked.)

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
The turbo charged HHR is fun to drive, I don't care who you are. (This Thread is officially hijacked.)
(Good thing)

Tim

Old 12-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #17
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Hijacked again..........Oh boy.....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #18
Boog
laying low

[I think people don't want to settle it out, would rather perpetually argue.]

I have a truck driver like that. His hobby is working up an argument with people. I kid you not. He tells me about some of his good times getting people worked up by taking an opposing view to something or another. It doesn't matter what the topic is. He's tried for a lot of years to get me riled up but I always shut him down. Telemarketers don't stand a chance with him either.
Oh and the Elcaminos? They're light trucks. They have a pickup bed. A car bed just sounds silly doesn't it?
Good thing Larry posted his or I would have.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:29 PM   #19
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
[I think people don't want to settle it out, would rather perpetually argue.]

I have a truck driver like that. His hobby is working up an argument with people. I kid you not. He tells me about some of his good times getting people worked up by taking an opposing view to something or another. It doesn't matter what the topic is. He's tried for a lot of years to get me riled up but I always shut him down. Telemarketers don't stand a chance with him either.
Oh and the Elcaminos? They're light trucks. They have a pickup bed. A car bed just sounds silly doesn't it?
Good thing Larry posted his or I would have.
I don't know about that...my eldest son had a car bed shaped like a Batmobile. I put it up on cabinets so that he had more storage. One time after Halloween we were putting new sheets on the mattress and discovered that the entire volume under the mattress, from the wall to the back sides of those cabinets was filled with candy wrappers! It's a wonder to this day that he has a tooth in his head! NOW this thread is truly hijacked!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

It may be that because this thread has been moved from 60-66 trucks to General Disco that the original poster has yet to post any response. Or could it be he lit a fuse and ran? When it was in the 60-66 forum I posted assuming it was his El Camino he wanted to show and was asking how others felt about him posting it there. It's hard to believe (well, maybe not) we have yet another same old same old thread started to ask the same old same old age old pointless question once again. I would not of played into it had I thought that was the case.

I think we could all agree the El Camino is neither a truck or a car while also being both. It's not a truck, it's not a car, it's a car that is a truck. Chevy had been building pickup trucks and even began blurring the line with the Cameo by giving a truck added car-like style and for that time, creature comforts. In '59 they came out with a lighter more stylish options for those who did not need all that yet still had a use for light pickup duty. The same as what had been done for years with the Panel Truck and Sedan Deliveries. These days we had people incorrectly calling Panel Trucks Sedan Deliveries. Some people need things to be black or white when it's a world of grey areas between. And grey areas seem to cause confusion for them.

So leave all that car or truck out, because since the day these were conceived and produced there have been many car-based pickups and vans produced and many trucks have become so car-like they are no more a truck than the El Camino. El Caminos were ahead of their time. They were always a love it or hate it vehicle. These days people accept car-like trucks with open arms

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 12-11-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
As far as I'm concerned it's a truck....

Just my 2¢ worth.

I went and looked and there is still a redirect so the OP should be able to find it in this forum. I just checked and he hasn't been back on the board since his original post.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote