The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #126
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I've lived other places and everywhere on of those places I wanted to go back to live my life. Somehow (marriage at first) I ended up back here and now it's been half my life this house. I was looking to move somewhere in the valley in the '90s before things started booming, but I had a few snags come up in my life. So I was working toward that again when more snags came along, and here I still am. And now the huta suburbanites have about taken over. Fortunately the only affect where my place are the drivers mindlessly buzzing by like they are still on I-70 or I-270. They aren't here to enjoy the country life. They are here to get away from the urban issues, and they are bringing it all with them.

My mom is 90 now, so no big move out of the region, but somewhere closer to her. Washington Co. near the Potomac and hopefully the Blue Ridges, Sharpsburg to Williamsport or north closer to PA like Maugansville to Blue Ridge Summit-Cascade area. I can't get too far away from the money yet, unfortunately. I need a cheap place to buy outright and fix up to sell before I land in the home I'll finish out my life in. If the next one is my last, then so be it. I'm going right now to look at one in Yarrowsburg, another (if it's still available) in Rohrersville, and one in Williamsport. I look even though I'm not ready. I just need to take a ride!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-13-2020 at 03:27 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #127
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Williamsport it still pretty decent, my great uncle lives up there. He and my great aunt before she passed away, have lived up there for 40+ years. I haven’t been up there in a few years but last I was there, the country lifestyle was alive and well. Hagerstown has sure grown a lot over the last several years. If I ever come back that way for good it will be down the valley a good ways far away from everyone. That’s one of the big things that keeps me in the West, wide open spaces with little population. You can still easily find very quiet places that have little to no light pollution at night with ease. Not to mention the old trucks don’t die too many rusty deaths out here.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #128
special-K
Special Order

My wife used to say, "I'm not moving somewhere just because trucks don't rust out!" when I'd talk about moving back to the S/W. Of course there are all the other reasons. I never lost the feeling of being in the places I've lived. I've been compensating and focusing the good the whole time. It's the good old people and the way it was that is best about around here. I'm more into the historic value than keeping up with the modern world that so many here all all about. Like burly ol' Dave Arterburn (old boss) used to call them, "Buncha Hush Puppy wearin' Pencil Pushers" . I also look at places in Page County, VA. The valley between Blue Ridge and Massanutten where the South Fork of the Shenandoah snakes through. My sister is down there in Rileyville, about midway between Front Royal and Luray. I spend time there visiting her when I can. Luray is still a nice area. I just wouldn't want to have to commute. I can see me living there once I'm on SS with a place that's paid for. I had been ready for that or Garrett County, MD to be my next place, but I really should try to make some more money before giving up. But some days I just wanna...

BTW, on my way into town I decided to abort going and fantasizes about houses, hit the store, and get back to it here. I have an overhead lumber rack to build and stock up. Got to keep at it!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #129
72c20customcamper

Question Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Before painting the roof on the 68 I bucked up some ash
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #130
special-K
Special Order

It's that time of year to be getting firewood together. We had 40s last night for the first time since early June.

I dig more digging and forming today, I have along the high side of the garage all formed up for the "curb" to the uphill side of the walk that will run along that wall. The steps are dug out at the back, where the walk leads to. Pouring the steps are next. I have expansion joint coming and I need to buy stone for the risers. Slow but getting there. My main concern is getting everything seeded before it's too late, like this week!

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 09-15-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:01 PM   #131
67C10Step

Fixed up a couple places in my shop roof the last hurricane rains showed leaking during downpours. Put in a full day at the full time job as well.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:36 PM   #132
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Before painting the roof on the 68 I bucked up some ash
We cut and loaded 3 8ft truck loads of oak on Saturday afternoon. That time of year for sure here. Been into the high 30’s a few times at night. Already. I’ll probably need another 5-6 loads to be set for winter. Probably start burning in a month or so. I heat with a mix of coal and wood.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:05 PM   #133
1976gmc20

I've still got about a half a semi load to cut up.

There's more than enough wood cut up in the yard for this winter, but I try to keep about two years ahead. I have two piles and rotate between them.

We put the new stove in place today but discovered I had the wrong stovepipe adaptor. Called real quick, they said they had one, so we made a quick 70 mile trip to exchange and return unused parts. Get there, uh no - they don't have it after all. So they're ordering the supposedly right part and shipping it to me at their cost.

The old stove was just fine except you could see flame right through the back side!
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #134
67C10Step

As far as wood cutting this will be the first year in many that I probably won't be cutting and splitting for my father in law since he passed the end of August. He would burn a couple cords every year typically and I usually tried to be a season ahead of him.

Supposed to be cooler here after tomorrow and I am ready for it.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
Old 09-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #135
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
As far as wood cutting this will be the first year in many that I probably won't be cutting and splitting for my father in law since he passed the end of August. He would burn a couple cords every year typically and I usually tried to be a season ahead of him.

Supposed to be cooler here after tomorrow and I am ready for it.
It is a quiet moment thinking not doing something for one of our elders that you have done for years and then you lose them..you are a good son-in-law.

When my sis and her husband live on Lake Overcup near Morrillton ,,they would get wood cut and stacked by a nephew ,,and I noticed that when talking of getting wood for the winter that they spoke of Ricks and not Cords ,,I grew up in Oregon and burned many cords of wood in the 45 years living there ,,so it was new to me that people bought wood and stacked it by ricks.. nothing wrong with it ,,just not used to that way of sizing of wood stacks..and just something to talk about on here,,
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #136
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
It is a quiet moment thinking not doing something for one of our elders that you have done for years and then you lose them..you are a good son-in-law.

When my sis and her husband live on Lake Overcup near Morrillton ,,they would get wood cut and stacked by a nephew ,,and I noticed that when talking of getting wood for the winter that they spoke of Ricks and not Cords ,,I grew up in Oregon and burned many cords of wood in the 45 years living there ,,so it was new to me that people bought wood and stacked it by ricks.. nothing wrong with it ,,just not used to that way of sizing of wood stacks..and just something to talk about on here,,
GOPAPA,
Way funny, my father in law was born and raised in Morrilton. Crazy, small world. He and I got along famously for the 27 years my wife and I have been together. She often said if we ever split up he would keep me and let her go. He is going to me missed. We used to fly, fish, work, and plan all sorts of stuff we knew we'd never do. Fished the Fouche River south of Morrilton with him many times. Started my engineering career at the paper mill there as well.

This has been a real melancholy year for obvious reasons but also my last child left home for college. Turning off those outside lights and closing the garage door early that first night knowing nobody was coming home was a bit tough to take.

The term "rick" of wood is still commonly used in Arkansas although not officially recognized by the board of standards here. If you sell wood you are supposed to sell by the cord or partial cord. To my eyes, a rick is about 1/3 a cord. 4 feet tall x 8 feet long x 16 inches wide. Some argue that but when I cut and split three "ricks" make a cord. I cut about 16" lengths and split a bit smaller because my father in law could not handle big pieces and often times my wife would be building the fire as well.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
Old 09-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #137
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post

Pretty sure a rick is a face cord. I have enough wood cut and stacked for 3 to 4 years. And at least that needing to be bucked and split. And now I have more town is clearing the dead or dying trees on my road . Mostly maple and oak . One oak is at least 4ft in diameter.

I burn on average 5 to 6 cords a season
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #138
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

All that maple and oak going up in smoke is enough to make a grown man cry, if he likes to work with wood. All that beautiful, undiscovered grain figure! Here in California we pay good money per board foot for either of those woods. #sad

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #139
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
All that maple and oak going up in smoke is enough to make a grown man cry, if he likes to work with wood. All that beautiful, undiscovered grain figure! Here in California we pay good money per board foot for either of those woods. #sad
Not all oak or maple make good wood but it all burns . I save wood that grows in the heavy woods they tend to be straight and very few branches low on the trunk. I have quite a bit of slab wood from such trees. First is Hickory second is red oak and I managed to salvage some ash for boards. I also have a bunch of maple in log lengths. But milling is best in cool weather

I wont mill wood that grows along the road or people's yards. Nothing like hitting a nail with an expensive ripping chain or a saw band
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 09-16-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #140
special-K
Special Order

What I know the term "rick" to mean has nothing to do with quantity or firewood. It is the method used to air dry lumber or just stack it to keep it dry. It's when you place narrow strips of wood in line with one another between each course of board while also leaving space side by side of each board. That is how you air dry lumber when not kiln drying. It's also how to store it outside to prevent rot and mold.

Yesterday I dug and formed. I forgot mention that digging meant fill the wheelbarrow, walk it out to the road, over next door in the meadow, dump in the ruts my neighbor made, and spread out. A couple summers ago we had record rains and the stream kept flooding the meadow. My neighbor had trailers he had dumped there years before and decided they needed to be moved when things were as wet as they will ever get. Tore it up bad, so bad it can't be mowed and it's a mosquito pit. I needed a place to get rid of dirt, so killed two birds with one stone. I also dug and formed for a threshold at the far side entry door to the garage.

Oh and SteveeDee, what could you do with a piece of cherry like this?

This evening I graded and seeded up to the form work. That was my goal. Get grass growing before the season ends so it won't be a mudhole all winter. I also have stepping stones going around to the back door of the house. There was always a low spot where in heavy rain it would puddle. I've wanted to pull the stones up and raise them to create a swale to direct water on out and down the side of the house. I got pictures today
Attached Images

Tim

Old 09-16-2020, 07:54 PM   #141
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What I know the term "rick" to mean has nothing to do with quantity or firewood. It is the method used to air dry lumber or just stack it to keep it dry. It's when you place narrow strips of wood in line with one another between each course of board while also leaving space side by side of each board. That is how you air dry lumber when not kiln drying. It's also how to store it outside to prevent rot and mold.
We called that "sticking"

We also did it that way when stacking in a kiln, plus leaving edge space. You had to be damn careful to stack it straight or it would lean and tip. Another young guy and I contracted to fill the kiln for this old fellow that I had been working for. I nearly ran my helper into the ground because I was used to humping lumber around all day long.

I don't think I ever got back to that job. We had to take a break from making T&G and other products while the kiln drying process occurred (the kiln was just a big heated and insulated building). I don't remember now if I got another job or the old fellow got sick or what.

What I did today was go to town to get some papers notarized and drop off the Jeep at the car hospital. This afternoon I've been out watching and yakking with the young neighbor guy who is oiling my house. Retirement is nice
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #142
72supr

In the ag world a rick can be hay,straw, corn or anything that is put in a shape of a line. When corn was still picked it was called ear corn and if you didn’t put it in a crib you put it in a rick on the ground. A crib went up in the air with corn cribbing.
72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #143
davischevy

72c20customcamper and special-K's projects remind me of my dad. He was retired 25 years before he had his stroke, and those were the kind of projects he loved doing.

I went up to the Maplewood Cemetery this morning and visited my parents.

It was beautiful this morning and these Maple trees will be turning bright colors in a few days.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 PM   #144
special-K
Special Order

I guess I didn't make the connection that your folks were buried there, or forgot. Which I apologize for. I do remember you said you like to ride your bicycle there. It looks like a very nice cemetery.

I like to stay busy and plan to be very busy once retired. I enjoy working. I always look at things and see what needs done. It feels good to shorten the list. It seems my life is nothing but loose ends and I'd like to change that. Too bad I'll get this place all tightened up, then move on and have another place to get right. I do also look forward to sitting back and just enjoying it all. I do that now here but trying to stay on it all I can.

I plan to replace my main (upper) roof a section at a time, from cedar shakes to metal. The front will be first. I had a bad spot I realized when I was painting last year when I saw a section of fascia rotted out behind the gutter. I put a 3/8 bead on all the fascia and on the lower section, where I had a lot of bad spots in fascia, I replaced with Azek (w/bead). When I moved all that material from the shed to the garage I came up with just what I need to replace across the front. I thought it was primed wood until I snatched it out. That's what's great about keeping this stuff around. The bad part is moving it and not being able to get to what you need w/o digging in. But moving it was good for uncovering the Azek, so good/bad oh well . I'm about to set up tools and do some int/ext trim odds and ends. So the fascia will get taken care of that round

Tim

Old 09-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #145
67C10Step

72C20,
Man, I wish you and I were closer. My grandad had me running a big lathe and doing other woodworking by the time I was nine. I still do some from time to time. Have made three live edge cherry end tables from a tree at my father in laws. Have two big logs from that tree I'd like ripped into slaps for some other project.

All the kitchen cabinets, fireplace mantle, and the cabinets/desk I am sitting at in my office are hickory. Figure when I sell this place the first thing the new owners wife will do is paint it all.

My plan for the day (besides regular job work) is to mow around the pool and maybe a few other honey do's that need done. Nothing fantastic, just checking the boxes.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
Old 09-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #146
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I wont mill wood that grows along the road or people's yards. Nothing like hitting a nail with an expensive ripping chain or a saw band[/QUOTE]

When I was sawyer in a sawmill with two circle saws 54 inch and 38 inch over head the nails bad but them files would fly out like shaprel. dont blame you as staying away from yard grown trees

[quote=special-K;8809154]What I know the term "rick" to mean has nothing to do with quantity or firewood.
Yesterday I dug and formed. I forgot mention that digging meant fill the wheelbarrow, walk it out to the road, over next door in the meadow, dump in the ruts my neighbor made, and spread out. A couple summers ago we had record rains and the stream kept flooding the meadow. My neighbor had trailers he had dumped there years before and decided they needed to be moved when things were as wet as they will ever get. Tore it up bad, so bad it can't be mowed and it's a mosquito pit. I needed a place to get rid of dirt, so killed two birds with one stone. I also dug and formed for a threshold at the far side entry door to the garage.

Good work Tim ,, us old splinter pickers learn to improvise and make some thing out of not so much .. Did I miss where you are fixing things up around the ol place and selling out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
72c20customcamper and special-K's projects remind me of my dad. He was retired 25 years before he had his stroke, and those were the kind of projects he loved doing.

I went up to the Maplewood Cemetery this morning and visited my parents.

It was beautiful this morning and these Maple trees will be turning bright colors in a few days.
Beautiful Cemetery Larry..well kept ..my niece in Russelville cleans up cemeteries all around where she lives and one in Shirley where my dad is buried..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
72C20,
Man, I wish you and I were closer. My grandad had me running a big lathe and doing other woodworking by the time I was nine. I still do some from time to time. Have made three live edge cherry end tables from a tree at my father in laws. Have two big logs from that tree I'd like ripped into slaps for some other project.

All the kitchen cabinets, fireplace mantle, and the cabinets/desk I am sitting at in my office are hickory. Figure when I sell this place the first thing the new owners wife will do is paint it all.

My plan for the day (besides regular job work) is to mow around the pool and maybe a few other honey do's that need done. Nothing fantastic, just checking the boxes.
If you don't mind ,,i would love to see picturs of your hickory cabinets.I bet they are very pretty ....I lived in Oregon the only hickory I could get to build anything out of was from Pallets from trucker bringing motor parts to the papermill close by me .
Old 09-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #147
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

Oh and SteveeDee, what could you do with a piece of cherry like this?

This evening I graded and seeded up to the form work. That was my goal. Get grass growing before the season ends so it won't be a mudhole all winter. I also have stepping stones going around to the back door of the house. There was always a low spot where in heavy rain it would puddle. I've wanted to pull the stones up and raise them to create a swale to direct water on out and down the side of the house. I got pictures today
Not sure, but if you wanted to buy a plank like that around here you'd be dropping anywhere from $6 to $11 per board foot, depending on the quality of the grain. That plank's worth anywhere from $80 to $170, around here. It's why I try to find free wood. I go to the Habitat ReStore or the Salvation Army store for old furniture made of solid wood, then cut it up. I bought a low dresser made of thick quarter-sawn white oak (QSWO) awhile back. The figure in the wood is to die for. I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but I paid less than the wood would cost me in a store. It's hard to find QSWO with decent figure. I saw a 3/4" X 6" by 4' board at a Rockler store. They wanted $100 for it. That's $25 per board foot! Rockler has what I call "boutique" wood.

You're a nice guy for filling in the neighbor's divots!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #148
72c20customcamper

We call it sticking too when drying fresh slabs . But heres an instance of what I was talking about hitting metal in wood . Anyone who cuts a lot will hit some .

Edit just took a picture of the wood that I put up last fall. I have two other piles that have been moved to the lower floor of the barn . Upper has lots of ventilation as it was for hay storage. Wood dries faster there but when its dry I like to store it on the ground floor . Little more humidity
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 09-17-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #149
67C10Step

GOPAPA,
Had to take a couple photos as I didn't have much on my phone already. Kitchen and office. Pay no mind to the office, it's always a mess because I spend way too much time here during the week but make a decent living mostly right here at home.

72C20 - I did that to myself this spring. Cut down a 70+ foot tall pine in my back yard that had been struck by lightning. I knew there was a birdhouse on the tree but the lightning blew it off and there were two screws holding the birdhouse to the tree. I thought to myself "What are the odds of hitting one of two screws in a 70 foot tree?" Those odds are exactly 100%.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
Old 09-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #150
special-K
Special Order

Guess I know sticking as ricking because sticking is the only way to be ricking. I know it as sticking as well, but ricking is what's sticking in my head when it comes to stacking and hacking in neat dry stacks. If you don't stick it right it gets out of whack and all you end up with is an achin' back.

I've hit the old barb wire deep into a tree where long ago there once was a fence. The only tree standing in the area, not hedgerow or any breaks in the landscape. Just open field with one storm damaged tree that needed to come down. Hate when that happens!

Tim