The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2021, 06:13 AM   #1
legendman

87 C10 Revival

Just picked up this C10 about a week ago.
Interesting story goes with this truck.
Back in the early 90's I worked at a junk yard and the owner of the yard had this truck put together by one of the body shop guys there.
It was made up of pieces from a custom deluxe and a burb. Not sure what damage it had, will have to ask the body shop guy when I talk to him again.
So on to how I acquired it, I was over at a guys house picking up a table he had on marketplace and he had a 64 GMC pickup on bags, thing looked wicked.Anyway he asks hey do you like squares I said hell yeah.
So around the corner of the garage he shows me this red C10, the whole time I am checking it out I am thinking I know this truck, anyways I ask what he is looking to get for it. Says $1000, I put my hand out to shake on the deal, would pay for it right then and there, now comes the story well I gave my buddy first dibs.
I said ok see if he stills wants it and get back to me, couple days go by and he comes back and says buddy has been over and isn't interested.
I say I will take it, line up a guy with a trailer and head over to grab it.
At some point the engine was swapped and is now locked up from sitting.
We get it on the trailer and bring it to my house. Part of the deal was I had to give him back the white steel wheels to put on his 64 GMC.
So last weekend I made a 4 hour trip to pick up a set of rally wheels.
And thats where I am at. Plan is to basically bring it back to stock looking but lowered and fix the rust.
Bed is really nice, doors are toast along with cab corners, rockers and drivers floor.
I think I am going to keep the 350 TBI and 700r4 in it for now and maybe LS swap it down the road.

I sent the body shop guy some pics and he pointed out what to check for to see if it is the one he worked on 30 years ago. We were able to determine it is the one, pretty cool.

Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: 87 C10 Revival

Nice looking project truck!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Looks really clean! great start so far.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

nice score id fix that and drive the wheels off it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #5
legendman

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
nice score id fix that and drive the wheels off it
Sounds like a good plan.

Not sure if you remember, you hauled a Honda Accord for me to Connecticut a few years ago.
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
Old 02-01-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
bigblock73
yeller

Looks like a solid truck! By the way, 87-91 squares are R/V's. Your truck is actually an R10. V would be 4WD.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #7
legendman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Looks like a solid truck! By the way, 87-91 squares are R/V's. Your truck is actually an R10. V would be 4WD.
Yeah I always forget that.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #8
LT7A

Cool, good grab. Some compound on that paint and it'll look pretty sharp. From what you said there are some rust issues, but looks like you can clean it, drive it, fix it, drive it, repair it, drive it, and so on. Have you started a build thread or will you be starting one? It would be cool to be able to follow along.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
Sounds like a good plan.

Not sure if you remember, you hauled a Honda Accord for me to Connecticut a few years ago.
id be lying if i said i remembered you by name or would recognize you if we ran into each other, but i do remeber picking up the Honda on a country road with alot of trees

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:12 AM   #10
legendman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Cool, good grab. Some compound on that paint and it'll look pretty sharp. From what you said there are some rust issues, but looks like you can clean it, drive it, fix it, drive it, repair it, drive it, and so on. Have you started a build thread or will you be starting one? It would be cool to be able to follow along.
I will do the build thread, on the fence though with which route to go. Do a total restro or just enough to make it look presentable, not sure yet.

First goal is to get it running, engine is locked up solid.
I might just find a cheap TBI 350 that runs on farcebook and throw it in for now.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:08 AM   #11
LT7A

Glad to hear it. Some of the coolest threads are the fix-what-needs-it threads. That way, you can mostly still enjoy it while it's being improved. Never precludes you from digging in deep later. Not trying to sway your thoughts, just saying it looks like a candidate to get on the road and enjoy right away.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote