The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2020, 05:02 AM   #51
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Re: The dash pad matrix...who makes the best?

Reached out to Cheyenne parts....

“ I have you on our list. I will let you know as soon as we have dash pads ready.
We are hoping to be able to start filling backorders by the end of the month.
Thanks,
Cheyenne Pickup Parts”
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:05 AM   #52
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADustin View Post
well crap. I bought one from Cheyenne and its plastic backed.

maybe I can glue aluminum to support the back of it.
Have you installed it yet?
Old 12-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #53
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

So, it’s been awhile and I was wondering if anyone has anything new to say about the dash pads from USA1 (which are metal backed) and Cheyenne (which are ABS backed), this info come direct from both websites.

The Matrix continues....
Old 12-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #54
1774btcrew

My Cheyenne Truck parts is even worse now since I last posted. Starting to look like a banana! These are HORRIBLE anywhere that it gets really hot. I plan on buying a USA 1 pad and throwing this away. Cheyenne truck parts was willing to take this back it I paid return shipping (wonder why that is my responsibility for a faulty product?) Plus try finding a box big enough to ship it in(didn't come in one when I purchased direct at c10s in the park) Live and learn I guess. The owner(Anthony) talked a good talk and made them sound great to me.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #55
Scott91370

For the cost of these replacement pads it's about the same price to get one recovered ($350). I don't know the process they use but I has to be better than what you guys are talking about.

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...a7&oe=5FEFE048

Not sure if that picture will work, I copied the URL from Facebook.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #56
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57NAPCO View Post
So, it’s been awhile and I was wondering if anyone has anything new to say about the dash pads from USA1 (which are metal backed) and Cheyenne (which are ABS backed), this info come direct from both websites.

The Matrix continues....
I have a friend that has one in his truck. He is quite happy with it. I have seen it personally, and I would never know it was not an OEM dash.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #57
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1774btcrew View Post
My Cheyenne Truck parts is even worse now since I last posted. Starting to look like a banana! These are HORRIBLE anywhere that it gets really hot. I plan on buying a USA 1 pad and throwing this away. Cheyenne truck parts was willing to take this back it I paid return shipping (wonder why that is my responsibility for a faulty product?) Plus try finding a box big enough to ship it in(didn't come in one when I purchased direct at c10s in the park) Live and learn I guess. The owner(Anthony) talked a good talk and made them sound great to me.
crew, thank you for the honest evaluation, I too will be looking for a pad soon on my '86 build. It looks like I will be getting the USA-1 pad & hope that the delivery goes somewhat smooth and timely....
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #58
69Tom

I still haven't installed my dash (directly) from Dashes Direct. Now that it's no longer 115, I can hopefully motivate myself to get it done. But also need to remove my heater box to replace the heater core, so I'm stalling. Anyone want to come help me out so we can get the verdict on the quality? haha.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:39 PM   #59
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

USA1 has about a 6 week wait.....
Old 12-09-2020, 01:20 AM   #60
1774btcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
crew, thank you for the honest evaluation, I too will be looking for a pad soon on my '86 build. It looks like I will be getting the USA-1 pad & hope that the delivery goes somewhat smooth and timely....
You are welcome. Unfortunately for me, I sold a perfect OEM dash in hopes of the quality of the Cheyenne truck parts pad. My thought process was that a USED perfect one would crack before I knew it so new seemed like the best bet. I really thought I had don't my research well and Cheyenne truck parts talked a good talk. I think most people just really don't realize the extreme heat and dryness here.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:37 PM   #61
Joe_63

Figured I'd chime in here. I have a black dash for my 86 ordered from USA1 I can confirm that they are from Dashes Direct (it came with a tag in the box from dashes direct) and are vinyl and foam over a metal frame. Quality seems decent, I haven't installed it yet, USA1 has a video on youtube of them putting one in. I will note it took a bit of massaging of the holes to get the trim in though.
Joe_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:52 AM   #62
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_63 View Post
Figured I'd chime in here. I have a black dash for my 86 ordered from USA1 I can confirm that they are from Dashes Direct (it came with a tag in the box from dashes direct) and are vinyl and foam over a metal frame. Quality seems decent, I haven't installed it yet, USA1 has a video on youtube of them putting one in. I will note it took a bit of massaging of the holes to get the trim in though.
Totally agree with you brother. I bought one from LMC and when when I opened the box it was from dashes direct. I also had to hog out the holes as well. And also trim around where the windshield antenna goes.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #63
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Thanks for that info...so dashes direct is a supplier to most of the dash replacement sellers, interesting. Only difference is they do not include all the extra components like USA1....for 300 more bucks.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #64
Rich84

I bought mine from Classic Industries a few years ago. They sell OEM style over metal and urethane over fiberglass. They usually have 30% off sales. When I ordered it they sent me the urethane one by mistake. That thing was like an over cooked piece of lasagna.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #65
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
I bought mine from Classic Industries a few years ago. They sell OEM style over metal and urethane over fiberglass. They usually have 30% off sales. When I ordered it they sent me the urethane one by mistake. That thing was like an over cooked piece of lasagna.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #66
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Reached out to USA1 and dashes direct, twice, left voice mails....how do company’s stay in business if they don’t return phone calls? Just wondering....
Old 12-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #67
Factory Guy

For those of you wanting an original dash redone. I came across this on Facebook. They claim they only rebuild stock metal cores.

Don't know anything other than what I posting here.

Check out Jake Corbin (Squarebody Classifieds-is where I saw it) 425-275-1912
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:36 AM   #68
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Great tip, thanks!

And Merry Christmas !
Old 02-21-2021, 04:37 PM   #69
kitsbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
Before I would buy anything. I think I would try refinishing it as shown in these you tube video's:

This first one is a true craftsman (I love his speaker grill inserts-AWESOME idea).

https://youtu.be/05XrGq734u0

https://youtu.be/m3wCdLJAPgE

https://youtu.be/1klhN8ovMfs

https://youtu.be/cJtRCOWebRc

All 4 doing it different ways but all look much better than what they had!

Pretty amazing results by all of them.
I like the second guys’ methods for filling the cracks but I wouldn’t flock the dash on our square bodies. May try just filling and painting. Also the option of gluing on some vinyl after.

Don’t feel like spending $500 plus shipping for my bruiser patina truck plus in Canadian dollars that translates to a $zillion.

1967 C10 LWB (now SWB) Fleetside 6cyl Saginaw three-on-the-tree "No Frills"
kitsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #70
Factory Guy

Personally I would never put a repop in my vehicle IF I have a choice.

I have a name here of someone who re does OEM dash pads (I have no personal experience with this group-but instead just passing the info on). They say $375, plus core.

Corbins Custom upholstery 425-275-1912
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #71
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Just a bit of info,

Dashes Direct supplys the USA1 with their dashes uncolored and without any add on items. They are supplied black and USA colors them and adds the stuff.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #72
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsbeach View Post
I like the second guys’ methods for filling the cracks but I wouldn’t flock the dash on our square bodies. May try just filling and painting. Also the option of gluing on some vinyl after.

Don’t feel like spending $500 plus shipping for my bruiser patina truck plus in Canadian dollars that translates to a $zillion.
I,ve tried the third video and it has cracked
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #73
ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsbeach View Post

Dashes Direct has 15% off right now. I selected a dash and went to the calculate shipping option. Holy crap, you weren’t joking. 300 for the pad and then $500 and up for FedEx options. $600+ for UPS options.

Looks like a recover is the better bet.
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:41 PM   #74
LEEVON

Everything is upside down right now, nothing seems to be available. That said I did buy a 79-80 GMC Dashes Direct urethane version (through CJ Pony Parts) and it was $375 shipped. It has a metal frame which is supposedly the same as the vinyl version and looks to be decent quality, a little saggy around one vent. Made in the USA and lifetime warranty and it shipped very quickly. I'll update ya'll after install...not expecting any miracles, hope to be surprised!
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2022, 03:05 PM   #75
eric8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Everything is upside down right now, nothing seems to be available. That said I did buy a 79-80 GMC Dashes Direct urethane version (through CJ Pony Parts) and it was $375 shipped. It has a metal frame which is supposedly the same as the vinyl version and looks to be decent quality, a little saggy around one vent. Made in the USA and lifetime warranty and it shipped very quickly. I'll update ya'll after install...not expecting any miracles, hope to be surprised!
Did you ever get it installed? Thoughts?
eric8 is offline   Reply With Quote