The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
GeorgeVale

57gmcuk

HI I have been lurking about here since I bought my 1957 GMC step side back in May 2009. I bought it out of California as a project vehicle a few months past and it arrived over in the United Kingdom. I know everybody likes pictures so here are some of how it arrived fresh of the back of the tow truck.
Attached Images

GeorgeVale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
GeorgeVale

Re: 57gmcuk

Last picture on arrival.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
GeorgeVale

Before I could start work on the truck I had to finish another project so the truck sat in a shipping container. There it sat until October 2010 when I ran out of jobs to do whilst I waited for the rain to cease so I could carry on planting my autumn crops(I am a arable farmer). So I dragged it out the container and put it into the workshop. Pictures below:
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
GeorgeVale

I then removed the front fenders took the cab of and removed the engine. Pictures below:
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
GeorgeVale

At this point I had to decide where I was going with the truck. I decided I wanted a air suspension system and after talking to a few rod shops in the UK I ordered a accuair system. On there advice I sold my jag clip(IFS) I was originally going to use on the truck and after looking at several different IFS I ordered a Scotts IFS and four link. I choose the Scotts as I wanted to support a board supporting vendor as I have gained so much helpful tips from here and I could deal direct with the owner and have had excellent customer service from Justin.

Purchasing and shipping the above completely wiped out my build budget. Over the winter I got a second job to help replenish the build budget but meant very little progress was made on the truck. I had the engine running repaired the front spring hangers and repaired a split in the frame.

I also found out that if I registered the truck with the ifs etc fitted the insuarance would be a nightmare so am having to register it with the original setup in place. Only problem was the truck did not have original rear suspension. So luckily a board member on here Dave Chapman has tracked me down the missing bits, big thanks to him.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
GeorgeVale

In April my second job finished so have been making some progress. I started on the cab sheetmetal work. I thought the cab was pretty good just the usual rear cab corners and a lhd lower door hinge. I ordered these from brothers and after my order getting lost in the interweb I got hold of there overseas bloke Tim who was ever so helpful and parts arrived safely. I started to cut out the lower door hinge to find the outercowl was actually very rusty so i cut that out to find the kickpanel was heavily rusted with several holes.

So I thought I had best open up the other side and see what it was like. Thankfully it was in much better order just a light surface rust. But the bottom of the post and bottom wanted replacing. As brothers does not do the kickpanel I orderd these from classicparts of america, as I did not fancy trying to replicate the curves when I could buy a stamped panel.

Whilst waiting for the kickpanel, outer cowl panel etc I decided to por15 the surface rust areas.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
GeorgeVale

I the started on the rear cab corners. As it was only the bottom that had gone I thought I would just replace the bottom few inches. I started on the divers side after cutting the corner out and cutting the patch panel to match. I found the width of the lip on the rear is narrower on the reproduction panel than the original. So I had to re weld the patch panel back together and re cut the corner. At some point the cab has been caved in and instead of pulling the metal right out they added about a inch of filler. So from the top of the patch panel was a inch gap to the existing cab metal. A lot of beating later and I had it close enough to weld.

I then moved to the other rear cab corner which was easy in comparison to the first but I think if I did it again I would try the deluxe corners as this corner took a lot of adjusting to get right.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
GeorgeVale

Next was the RHD front corner bottom and inner and the outer cowl. These were relatively easy and the panel fit was pretty good. That left the LHD kick panel. I was dreading starting this and turned out I was right to think would be a nightmare. After eventually removing it I tried to fit the new panel and would not fit anywhere near where it needed to be. After a lot of adjusting I realised I needed to move the new hinge panel inwards. So a bit more spot weld removing and I had the panel in alinement.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
GeorgeVale

This is pretty much where I have got to. I have finished welding in the kickpanel and have fitted the new bottom corner and fender mount but have yet to weld them in. Hopefully this weekend will see that done and subject to making it the metal supplier to purchase some sheetmetal tomorrow will have made some dash repair panels and possibly the firewall. Next week is door repair time.

I did notice that the front cab corner bottom panels do not fill the bottoms entirely. Do people normally make a filler plate and fill the gap? or leave it open. I am planning on filling them as I do not want dirt and water getting in through there.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
7T2

Looks like a cool project! Did it come with any of the chrome bumper pieces? That stuff is hard enough to find over here, let alone in the UK.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're not keeping the "flame" paint job? I'm always amazed at what people come up with for homemade flame jobs...sometimes it's like they've never seen a fire before.

Wish I had a crane like that at my place. I'll bet it makes a lot of things easier.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Kim57

Welcome to the board.
Looks like you've done a ton of work already.
Do keep posting pics on your progress.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
drivea55

welcome!!!

keep the progress coming for sure!

Brian

SOLD to "ONEBADFIVEFIVE"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436406
drivea55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #13
GeorgeVale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T2 View Post
Looks like a cool project! Did it come with any of the chrome bumper pieces? That stuff is hard enough to find over here, let alone in the UK.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're not keeping the "flame" paint job? I'm always amazed at what people come up with for homemade flame jobs...sometimes it's like they've never seen a fire before.

Wish I had a crane like that at my place. I'll bet it makes a lot of things easier.
The gmc bumper and grill are long gone unfortunately, I really like the moustache look. It came with a chevy grill and bumper. I am going to stick with that. The rectangle lights are going they are just held in with filler and fell out with a gentle push. I have bought some chevy oem lights to fit so the front will look chevy.

The flames are definitely going am thinking a light green beige combo. As for cranes I am spoilt for choice, it does make life easy. Above the frame is a giant overhead crane real handy for removing the cab, engine etc. Thanks for the welcome Brian and Kim. Kim I love your truck and Brian the chop is coming out great.

Last edited by GeorgeVale; 05-20-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
GeorgeVale

Got messed about by the sheetmetal firm so did not manage to get any metal. Finished welding the bottom corner and ground the welds down on the A pillar. Made a start on the doors. Spent a few hours playing with the bearclaw latches I have to fit. After alot of measuring and playing about have decided am going to put the claws on the cab and strikers on the door and go with blackdiesel's one piece windows subject to finding somewhere to make the glass. Will fit a release cable to open the doors under the dash. Am using door poppers for exterior use.

Making a start on repairing the lower door hinge, the previous owners repair was not to my liking.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
GeorgeVale

I used part of the A pillar I removed to make the door jam patch. Luckily a bit of the original hinge was left attached to the inner door skin so I had something to base the alignment on. Have got it ready to weld but am going to paint the door interior whilst access is easy. Once that is done will weld it in. Hopefully should get some sheetmetal this week and see if I can order some glass.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #16
Kim57

Looks like you're making some decent progress. Keep the pics coming.
Kim
Old 05-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
bensimmons_05

Looks like you are doing a great job, the new and made panels look great!

---The shop's live video feed--- <<< See what I'm up to!
bensimmons_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #18
GeorgeVale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensimmons_05 View Post
Looks like you are doing a great job, the new and made panels look great!
Hi Ben thanks for the kind words it is turning out a lot better than I hoped.

Update time. I painted the door inners with por15 then top-coated it with some tractor paint I had lying about. Took a age to dry but I really like the colour (Ford tractor light Grey) might paint the entire truck in it as can get paint on farm account and will tide me over until I can get it done properly.

I took the hinges apart to fit some new pins and bushes only to find I only ordered 2 new ones so am a set short. Gave the hinges a quick clean and some red oxide. Removed a broken bolt from one bottom hinge and fitted the missing nut to other one.

I got the doors welded back together and moved the runner ready for the 1 peice glass. Both door tops had splits near where the door top inner attaches so repaired them. I then went to hang the door to see if I have welded the new hinge in the right place, only to find I have lost the door hinge bolt nuts. Spent half a day looking to no avail so will have to make some new ones.

As I could not hang the door and start on the latches I decided to dig the front fenders out of storage and make a start on them. I thought with the frenched lights and visible previous owner botched repairs I would need some new faces and grill extensions. After hacking the bondo off found I can repair the original faces so will sell the patch panels I had purchased. As still have not got any sheet metal, I then started to panel beat out some of the dents and squashed wheel arch.

I only have a couple of pictures as I have lent the camera to my parents who have gone on holiday this week. I took some pictures on my phone but can not get them off there so will take and post some pictures next week when they return.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #19
GeorgeVale

Update time have been very busy so not been able to get near the truck much. Have made some new hinge nuts and ordered the glass. Made a start on the chassis. Repaired the shock cross member removed all the previous owners added extra brackets etc. Gave it a lick of paint and re-profiled the rear axle mounting plates to accept the explorer axle I am using. Ordered the wrong nuts so have not mounted the axle yet.

Bought some sheet metal and made a start on repairing the dash.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #20
GeorgeVale

I decided to repair the dash in 2 parts as I did not think I could replicate the curves in 1. I started with the bottom curve see pics in above post. Then added the top part see below. It is not quite finished as I have not finished welding between the two parts. Has turned out ok but the glove box will not sit flush. It is prominent on both sides my repaired side and a pillar side. This is really annoying me but not sure what I can do about it.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
Kim57

Looking good George.
The glove box may be as simple as adjusting the hinges.
Kim
Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #22
OrrieG

Side of the dash to the right of the door was not modified so Kim is right. If the door is hitting the horizontal part of the dash you have another challenge. Does it align without the hinge attached ?
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote