The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
IvanfromtheCrackie

'73 SWB Re-Build

Hey there! Been on the forum, reading for years. Even picked up a Basket Case 54 a while back, dropped good coin on it, only to lose the fire to finish it. Became more of a problem once I found the really heavy rust and no title. So we sold it off to another friend who was heavy into that body style. Worked out for hi pretty good. But since then, it's been ebay, craiglist and local shopping for another project.

All but gave up the ghost until my younger brother called me asking if I was still interested in a Short Wheel Base Squarebody. Who isn't right?! So he told me that he knew of a good builder that ran and had a title that he could go check out for me since he was half way across the state.

Called me the next day, asked me again, and with disappointment in his voice he said..."well I guessed so but I was hoping that you'd say no because I went ahead and picked up the truck. It's yours for what I paid if you want it."

So $600 later, and an almost unbearable drive almost 360 miles with exhaust manifolds only and a driveshaft that came out half a dozen times on the ride home, I have a new project.

Name:  IMG_0725small.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  34.8 KB

Looks like in the short two days my brother had it, he found the clutch was bad so while taking it out, he replaced the entire 6 banger with a "low milage 350 and ultra granny geared 4 speed (floor shift-cut a hole in the floor ) out of a C30 RV.

Name:  IMG_0743small.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  47.2 KB

It looks tired, but runs pretty damn good. This clutch seems to be giving way again, and I've always wanted to put an auto in it so I picked up a used TH400, Torque Converter, Driveshaft, and Flywheel off a wrecked out truck.

One of my Camaro buddies finished up a build on a 69 RS he had and called me up asking if I could use any "spare SBC Parts." Ran over to his place and after a short negotiation, picked up a new in box Holley 750, GM HEI Dizzy, Edelbrock Torker II Manifold, Chrome Alternator, Chrome PS Pump, and Edelbrock Chrome H2O pump. He also had a new in box AC Delco Starter, HP Fuel Pump and Chrome Air Cleaner. Score.

Name:  IMG_0750small.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  40.6 KB

With all this being said, I'm planning on pulling the 350, cleaning her up, painting it, replacing the accessories with all these new ones, replacing the tranny with the TH400 and reinstalling.

The thought of painting it comes to mind as well since I'm a novice/decent painter and have a crapload of "Greens" that I could use to compliement what's already there.

Name:  IMG_0748small.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  20.5 KB

I'd leave the patina on there if it were an older truck but with it only being a 73, I think that it would look a little more on the "eh" side than to paint it.

Wheels and suspension are a must as the white steelies must go. Unless I can do some sort of wide whites, I think I'll find a nice 20" wheel to tuck up in there. Not that that's been done before right? But it looks so damn good when done right.

Hopefully this will serve as some sort of motivation for those, who like me, were contemplating which way to go for those few years between my 54 and this one.

I know that there are more than a handful of folks here that convinced me that Squarebodys were and are the way to go!

Enjoy and Ill post more as we get there!
Ivan
Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
IvanfromtheCrackie

Re: '73 SWB Re-Build

So catching up....

I've pulled the Motor and 4 speed out, gone through a light clean up since it was honestly just really dirty.

Pressure washed and wirebrushed the crap out of the engine bay. Plans are to paint it the same color as the truck will be painted.

Gonna most likely replace the inner fenders with some of them fancy Slosh deals if these come out like crap.

Motor on the other hand was fantastic. Pulled the valve covers and clean with no buildup or crap in there. Bottom of the Valve Covers were pretty ugly looking though so I'll replace those. Pulled the plugs, all clear. Motor feels really good so I buttoned it up, wired brushed it to heck, cleaned it up and painted it Frost Green Metallic with a few nice coats of clearcoat.

Used an epoxy primer, adhesion promotor, paint and then clean. Well see how it holds up.

Reflecting on the "awesome deal" I got on the TH400, I'm installing the Flexplate (since we're going from a 4 speed to an Auto) and immediately the inner diameter of the Flexplate is smaller than the diameter of the Crank.

Doing some research, I see that there are some variations of Flywheels/Flexplates and I'm thinking that I got something from a totally different genre or just something from a different millenium. LOL

So my next plan is that I need to confirm the motor so that I can find the correct Flexplate. At a standstill until I can find it.

Perhaps the UPullUPay tommorrow am......just want to know what I need to look for.

In the meantime, here's some of where I've been.

Enjoy,
Ivan
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
IvanfromtheCrackie

More motor info....anybody wanna shed some light on this??

Thanks!
Ivan
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Shaun1162

Looks like a pretty solid, original start (except for the new hole in the floor!)... What're your plans for the truck??

You can also find out some info about your engine from this site http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php Showed a 69-79 350... I'm sure someone will know alot more then me about engine/head casting numbers!

Good luck with the truck!
- 1933 Ford Stock Car
Shaun1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
IvanfromtheCrackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1162 View Post
Looks like a pretty solid, original start (except for the new hole in the floor!)... What're your plans for the truck??

You can also find out some info about your engine from this site http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php Showed a 69-79 350... I'm sure someone will know alot more then me about engine/head casting numbers!

Good luck with the truck!
Thanks! Yeah, it came out of a C30 RV from what my brother told me. Seems to be very torquey when I drover it. Thought it was from the rear end or ridiculous 4 speed tranny that was in there. Perhaps just a stout little motor. Ill check out your links and thank you!

Here are some pics of the differences in Flexplate inner diameter differences as well. Off way too much.

Does anybody know if I can still use the Torque Converter on whatever new Flexplate I find and end up using? I guess a more appropriate question would be, are they all pretty universal when it comes to attaching TCs to them?

Thanks guys!
Ivan
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
IvanfromtheCrackie

More tech info....

V1112TKW

V- Tonawanda Plant
11- November
12- 12th day

The TKW reflects either:
  • TKW - 1974, 350ci, van & bus, 160hp, 4bbl, C-10 to 2500
  • TKW - 1978, 350ci, fwrd cab, L LS9 vin, 165hp, 4bbl, C-20 to 3500

Can't be both of course so I"ll look some more and update this when I find more.

The other number in the block, 390010 seems to be a 4" bore with 2 or 4 bolt Mains. Guess I"ll pull the pan to find that out.

The 010 and 020 with a H2O and 509 on the back still have me investigating.

On the head casting number I found 3978991. Only thing I've found so far is the valves are 1.72/1.50 with a chamber of 76cc.

Any thoughts?
/Ivan

Last edited by IvanfromtheCrackie; 08-17-2012 at 11:29 PM.
IvanfromtheCrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
79shortbed

010 and 020 are the most desirable of the 3970010 blocks. high nickle, etc. If it was originally from a 30 series truck, I'd put my money towards is being 4 bolt mains.
Heads are just low compression smog heads with 1.72 and 1.5 valves.
79shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
IvanfromtheCrackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79shortbed View Post
010 and 020 are the most desirable of the 3970010 blocks. high nickle, etc. If it was originally from a 30 series truck, I'd put my money towards is being 4 bolt mains.
Heads are just low compression smog heads with 1.72 and 1.5 valves.
Sounds good so far! Thanks. Perhaps we'll be changing out those heads later for some better flowing ones. Seems like they might be good for some Low End Tq though!

Appreciate the chiming in. Working the Flexplate discrepancy now....

/Ivan
Old 08-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Can't kech me

low compression? it's begging for a turbo!

Can't kech me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
IvanfromtheCrackie

Alright gang!

Got the engine bay cleaned and painted!

Cleaned the engine up as well. Painted it the same as I plan to paint the body (Green Frost Metallic). Got it and the new TH400 mated and stuck back in place.

Attempting to swap out the old 3spd on the tree column with an auto on the column version since I've learned that the linkage from the 3 speed column doesn't exactly fit the TH400 at all. LOL. I've managed to hit the junk yard a few times to gain some knowledge of how it's all supposed to come together but I'm feeling that the linkage to the transmission itself might be 180* out of whack.

Reason I say that is that it seems that whatever motion the shifter lever makes, it's opposite from what I need.

With that being said, who all has done a 3 speed to auto (TH400) on the column? Love to see some thoughts and ideas as to what Im doing wrong.

Pics to come...she's lookin better already!

Thanks
Ivan
Old 09-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
IvanfromtheCrackie

Or maybe any pics of those who have ran a column shift up and how/what lever they ended up using.

Seems to be so many ways of how to do it but I'm finding all the ways not to......

Thanks!
Ivan
Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
IvanfromtheCrackie

Alright gang...heading to the Junkyard in the AM for a column.

Need a column Autoshift, any suggestions for what "THE" best column is to swap in?

I just wanna make sure I grab one that I can use to hook up the TH400 correctly otherwise it's gonna have to be a B&M Floor shifter (Boring!!).

Thanks and chime in if you got words.

Ivan
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
IvanfromtheCrackie

Needed.....column shift linkage specific for TH400.

Seems to be more difficult to find locally than I thought.

Anybody out there have one for $$?

Ivan
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
IvanfromtheCrackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanfromtheCrackie View Post
Needed.....column shift linkage specific for TH400.

Seems to be more difficult to find locally than I thought.

Anybody out there have one for $$?

Ivan
Reckon I need to go to a cable linkage from the Ididit or Lokar guys?

That or swap a more popular tranny in there. LOL
Ivan
Old 10-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
406 Q-ship

Any of the auto 3 or 4 speed columns will work along with the shifter linkage. All the th350 and th400 column shifter linkage will work. I would use a column from a 1977 and earlier truck (columns without the highbeam switch), they are much more secure than the later. When GM took the high beam switch off the floor and into the column they made the column so weak that any looser with a screwdriver can steal them.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote