The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Badstar

Angry 402 won't start! Need some help

So I have a 71 1/2 ton long bed with a 402 that I got from and uncle before he passed away my problem is I've started trying to get her going and can't seem to get it to fire I have fuel cause I'm pouring some gas or squirting chemtool in the carb it has a points distributed my coil has power I set the dwell time to about 30 31 I'm having to power te ignition from the batter because the ignition switch is gone out of it I power the ignition and peer the starter and I have fire at the plugs but when I crank it it won't even try to fire up it won't back fire nothing at all just crank and crank I'm going to check the tileing when I get home tonight and run a compression test on it just to see and other thoughts or guesses would be appreciated cause I'm about at the end of my rope!
Badstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: 402 won't start! Need some help

Without it running, you can't set the dwell.
Pull your points out and clean them with a small file.
Gap your points at .019.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Badstar

Okay you can't set your dwell time with a dwell meter while cranking the engine over? And just curious on your thought if I have fire at my plug that should be close enough to get it to fire up correct? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way? By the way thanks for the help!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
geezer#99

Never thought of that!
Could set dwell like that. I've always just set the gap.
Maybe time to start from the base. Retime it. #1 tdc compression. Line up the marks on the tab. See if it will fire. Keep advancing it a bit till it lights.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Badstar

Yeah haha you had me second guessing myself for a min there! And ya I was going to do that when I got home and run a compression check too but now I can't seem to fine my adapter hose for the gauge just my luck! And another thought in my head is even if the timing where for I should be getting aback fire spit sputter or something it's not doing anything that's what has me so confused
Old 08-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
cadillac_al

The spark you are seeing is probably weak. I would invest in new points, condenser and cap and rotor. Back in the day I rarely got more than 2 years out of a set of points. On the farm trucks we changed them every year.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
The spark you are seeing is probably weak. I would invest in new points, condenser and cap and rotor. Back in the day I rarely got more than 2 years out of a set of points. On the farm trucks we changed them every year.
He^^ likely nailed it. If it was me instead of spending the 40 or 50 bucks on the new stuff for the point including a coil because screwing around with an ancient coil isn't worth the effort I would just get an hei and upgrade. Points really aren't worth the effort and maintenance. Hei has hotter spark and a whole lot let maintenance. Easier starts and better mileage etc.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
Badstar

Alright I have a lot of hei parts laying around I'll just put one together and stab it in and see what happens I guess hopfully she will fire up!this truck and I are going to have a love hate relationship I swear
Old 08-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badstar View Post
Alright I have a lot of hei parts laying around I'll just put one together and stab it in and see what happens I guess hopfully she will fire up!this truck and I are going to have a love hate relationship I swear
So you and your truck will have a completely normal relationship.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
cableguy0

Just remember to run a new 12 gauge power wire from the fuse block on an ignition unfused circuit to power the hei. The stock power wire to your current coil is a resistor wire and only 9 volts. The hei will not function properly on 9 volts.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Badstar

Pretty much this one just seems to be a lot worse than my other trucks this one has been a pain in the butt since the get go! I never had some many problems on one truck haha!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
Badstar

Yes sir I do know to do that I know more about hei than I do points that's for sure! Thanks for all the help guys I really appriciate it
Old 08-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
He^^ likely nailed it. If it was me instead of spending the 40 or 50 bucks on the new stuff for the point including a coil because screwing around with an ancient coil isn't worth the effort I would just get an hei and upgrade. Points really aren't worth the effort and maintenance. Hei has hotter spark and a whole lot let maintenance. Easier starts and better mileage etc.
points will easily last 50k miles or more if you know how to calibrate them. hei will put out a hotter spark ONLY if the plug gap is increased. in normal applications, with a .035 gap, around 10k volts is used to jump the gap. a points coil is capable of around 40k v. you don't need to carry a spare module with points
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote