The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #101
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: I'm legit again, my "new" '68 LB

The White/Black 1966 AZ plate I'm saving for the '67 K/10 Suburban project. It's old name was "White Fang" because with 454 it had a big dog's appetite. Next engine won't be a BBC. Not sure -- maybe a 292, 383 or go Diesel. New project name is gonna be the
''Outlaw Josey Whale''. JSY 513, get it? With the YOM plate I can get it insured as a a collector car and skip emissions testing.
I agree BBQ-ing w/charcoal is superior to propane. But like to grill a steak or burgers on my tailgate with a propane grill. Also, if I have to get up early for work, I can't spend the time starting a charcoal chimney. I only have one gasser running, a portable Sunbeam classic aluminum body one burner, 17 x 11 x 9. I have a bigger Sunbeam 2-burner my Mom got me for a birthday, I need to fettle. I have the parts and the right green hi-temp paint. I have a couple of Weber Genesis units, [both free from neighbors\ that need rebuilds. A buddy gave me a 3-burner Brinkman, but since Brinkman folded, I'm gonna find a thick steel or iron plate for the bottom, detach the gas plumbing, and convert it to a coal burner. Chimney is a good idea.
I have a 22.5'' black Weber, a 14'' Weber Li' Smokey Joe [$2.99 at Goodwill], A Brinkman Grill'N'Smoke, and a big Char-Griller with the side firebox.
I really enjoy kicking back, with a cold one, waiting for the coals to get hot.
Coincidently, Friday night, I planked a fillet of red sockeye on my little Sunbeam, using mesquite charcoal dust from the bottom of an El Diablo bag to add smoke to the cook.
I have more grills than Chevy trucks.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-11-2019 at 08:06 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #102
89AKurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
[...]
I have more grills than Chevy trucks.
Seems like I found another common interest. One grill is good enough, just need to collect more wood very soon.

Did a Dorky Cheapskate thing, I was wanting to keep pine needles and leaves out of the vent. I had some adhesive, and aluminum screen. Again, this is something that can be ripped out by whoever restores this. If not, that aluminum is not going to get trashed by the sun's UV rays.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:22 AM   #103
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89AKurt View Post
Seems like I found another common interest. One grill is good enough, just need to collect more wood very soon.

Did a Dorky Cheapskate thing, I was wanting to keep pine needles and leaves out of the vent. I had some adhesive, and aluminum screen. Again, this is something that can be ripped out by whoever restores this. If not, that aluminum is not going to get trashed by the sun's UV rays.

That would soon silt up with sonoran traildust thus clogging it up. On a plus note, the underdash maze is kept packrat free.

Yeah BBQs. They follow me home. People donate me their broken ones and I fettle and refurbish them, or part out the goodies, or make a ex-gasser into a coalburner. I got a 14'' Weber Smokey Joe Jr at a Gooodwill for $3.Perfect tailgate sized, and the ventilating circles still rotate and will starve out the hottest fire. Leaving chunks of reusable coal.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:38 AM   #104
89AKurt

Quote:
That would soon silt up with sonoran traildust thus clogging it up. On a plus note, the underdash maze is kept packrat free.

[...]
Good thing I don't live in the Sonoran Desert (really close though). Previous truck had the weep holes at the bottom of the door clogged up from dust accumulation, after one rain I opened the door and heard a sloshing sound. Took a stick and reamed up the holes, and watched about a gallon pour out! So not underestimating your comment about dust. I did the screen on the previous truck, no problem with dust, but if it was oiled up like a K&N filter.....
Old 04-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #105
89AKurt

Another cheapskate fix, the oilpan gasket is shot. When I drove to Phoenix, made a mess. The mechanic has some specialized caulking for this, will do when it goes in for front suspension work. In the meantime, I crammed Bounty paper towel into the crevasse, seems to have reduced the leaking substantially. He said you need to pull the engine so it clears the crossmember, to pull the pan. Might as well switch for a Corvette ZO6 if I go to that trouble.

I found that I still had a grease gun, cleaned it up and got a new tube of grease. Think I found all the zerk fittings, the shaft for the clutch pedal is one that I discovered. Now I found a thread for this, need to search for the intermediate steering shaft and steering gear.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...points+diagram
Old 04-20-2019, 02:25 AM   #106
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89AKurt View Post
Might as well switch for a Corvette ZO6 if I go to that trouble.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...points+diagram
Apparently Corvette engines grow on every other tree up in Michigan, if you go by all the used trucks for sale with "Fresh Corvette Engines."

Old 06-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #107
89AKurt

Other interests have put my pickup on the back burner. A friend had to get billet mirrors for his motorcycle, I asked if I could get the old mirrors. Made the Rat Rod rusty mounts. So what if the words on the mirror are upside-down.

I took this when he picked it up.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #108
'68OrangeSunshine

Those look pretty snazzy there, Boy Wonder.
But if you ever had a set of West Coast Juniors, you'd never go with mini-mirrors. Absolute total top notch rearward surveillance. If you know you're not the fastest pumpkin on the freeway, you know most of the impact-related threat is coming from your 6 O'clock.
Also great for checking our chicks in the parking lot.
But I'm an old dog. I'll never change.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 AM   #109
89AKurt

Quote:
[...]
But if you ever had a set of West Coast Juniors, you'd never go with mini-mirrors. [...]
But I'm an old dog. I'll never change.
The '69 that I had before, had those. Sounded like an F-15 taking off when going into a headwind. These have enough convex curve to make up for the size. Old.... sometimes change is not for the better.

Haven't done a thing, other than drive, and hauled some demolition lumber for firewood. Tonight I took some glamor shots:

Old 07-04-2019, 03:01 AM   #110
'68OrangeSunshine

Nice pix.
I had to down the Orange Creamsicle for a couple weeks. The ''custom-made'' clutch rod was coming apart, and I was afraid it would happen in traffic. Also my passenger side window came out of the track. So I replaced the regulator and the window run and post channel rubber, and the felt side wipes, but couldn't figure how to put new rubber seals around the vent wings, so the old prehistoric rubber went back in. Very involved process according to You Tube videos. Only did the RH door window rubber. I'll do the drivers side later. Won't be so hard a second time.
So nice to have a smoothly rolling window again. Also, on cold, icy, dark and stormy nights, driving in the blackness, wind whistling thru the gaps in insulation, and the intermittent rapping, rapping, rapping on my door. You'd think the bony fingers of the Grim Reaper were knocking to be let in -- at 60 MPH. Well Nevermore.

A freak wind gust blew my 20' x 10' ShelterLogic canopy over. Fully tits-over-teacups and landed on the tin shed next to it -- ripping my new-in-September cover, and bending most of the poles useless. I can get another on Amazon, but it's a $300 setback.
We used a 10 x 10 Arizona Wildcat popup to work on the door, but it can't be left up overnight, the wind will kill it.
I went to see my machinist about his custom upper clutch rod. He said the rod ends weren't really Heim Joints, but something for tractor/implement linkage shifters. He directed me to Don's Hot Rod shop, our local "Candy Store" and I got a pair of proper heim joints, then Ace hardware had 3/8-24 1-1/2'' bolts, bronze washers, and locknuts to complete the fix. After replacing the upper clutch rod so it's bombproof for another 14 years, I noticed the clutch feel got a lot taller. I let the 2 jam nuts on the lower clutch rod out about an inch and a quarter -- taking pressure off the fork, but it's still a high stepper.
But now it runs.

Still haven't gotten fresh aspen swamp cooler pads yet, and it's 95F inside with fans on. Now with the truck running, I can pick up the pads.

The '71 Jimmy is running good. I was on my way to the Shell station to tank up last Saturday night. I get 80 cents off a gallon from Fry's VIP points. The gas gauge never worked since I got it. The traffic light changed red before I could pull a left into the Shell Station. When the light went green, I hit the gas, got 25' into a 90* turn and it stalled. Deadstick. I tried to start again and it coughed to a shaky start, but sputtered around the corner and up to the pump. The log showed I had gone 201 miles since last fillup. [I figure 10 MPG.] I filled one 5 gallon jerry can with premium, and slowly pumped 20.3 gallons into the blazer tank. It's a nominal 20.5 gallon tank. The in-cab tanks will hold 22.5.
After a fresh filling, the Jimmy was good to go.

Major gripes are the PO's redneck adaptation of late '70/80s Camaro/Firebird buckets. The wire/coil framing was enveloped by the foam padding and they're not repairable. Also the way the back mounts are set into wood 4x4 flat post sections with lag bolts is unnerving. But real bucket seats would run me $1000. [Before you even get the right seat brackets.] Toss in another grand for Air, and half a grand for new floor matting/carpet and interior wall trim panels, and it might become a nice truck. [Not counting body work and paint.]
Another long hot summer. At least the snowbirds are gone.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-04-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #111
89AKurt

Quote:
Nice pix.
[...] new rubber seals around the vent wings, so the old prehistoric rubber went back in. Very involved process according to You Tube videos. Only did the RH door window rubber. I'll do the drivers side later. Won't be so hard a second time.
So nice to have a smoothly rolling window again. Also, on cold, icy, dark and stormy nights, driving in the blackness, wind whistling thru the gaps in insulation, and the intermittent rapping, rapping, rapping on my door. You'd think the bony fingers of the Grim Reaper were knocking to be let in -- at 60 MPH. Well Nevermore.
[...]
Still haven't gotten fresh aspen swamp cooler pads yet, and it's 95F inside with fans on. Now with the truck running, I can pick up the pads.
[...]
Another long hot summer. At least the snowbirds are gone.
I replaced vent rubber on the '57 Chevy wagon I had last century. Danchuck is the go-to place for restoration parts. A year later, they looked worse than the original rubber! grrrrr Oh sure, take them out, return for new ones. Took a freaking day just to do one! That'w when I learned that new rubber sucks.

Been cooler this year, I just set up the a/c unit in the house, still haven't put the window fans in. Usually all that gets done first of June. Tis the season for other birds coming to Prescott, the big World's Oldest Rodeo is in town.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:42 AM   #112
89AKurt

I haven't posted for some time, just been driving it. Been salvaging old lumber for firewood. The only mechanical stuff has been to replace a battery cable that was short enough to pull out and not allow starting, then the last straw was having it quit while driving. Replaced with a new cable that was about a foot longer, and soldered the ends, plus the end of the other cable at the battery.

Odometer went over 88,888 miles today, when I went out to cut a Shaggybark Juniper for firewood.

Hood is up, because I disconnect the battery, so no chance of draining. Long tow from here.

Of course I took some glamor shots, Ranchtruck:

Old 11-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #113
'68OrangeSunshine

Hey Kurt.
It has been a while. I love the smell of juniper. Wood smells good and even better when burning. The way it splits into shingles and sticks for kindling is better than any other type wood. I had a cord of Alligator Juniper in the attic of my Mom's A-frame in Pinetop. When she sold the place, I hauled most of it down to Tucson. All gone now.

Had some hassles from ADEQ getting the '68 Stepside's 292 thru emissions. Too much CO. Had to get leaner carb jets and metering rods, and detune the idle.
Also R&R'd the brake master cylinder.
A leaking flare fitting on the side of the cylinder let the stuff out -- and I had no brakes just as I taxied up to the yellow line for my 3rd test. I decided to fake it and rolled forward in Granny 1st. Finally the carb passed the test. I nursed the rig out of the testing facility, and turned right at the first side street. The front well in the MasCyl was dry! I topped it off from a quart of brake fluid tucked inside the fender and got home OK. Next day, my Buddy, Dennis, came over and we re-flared the fitting [from M/S front to proportioner] then bled the front wheel brake cylinders, and the pedal came up. Now it feels good. Like stepping on a tennis ball. Stops good.
We also replaced a loosed wheel stud on the LR axle that Brake Max had f@#ked up by letting a rookie use an air hammer to blast it in the wrong direction when removing the tire lugs. Another time, at the same shop, they checked my tires -- all was OK, they said -- and the kid taxied the truck up to the front door for me to take it home.
''We couldn't find the parking brakes, so I left it in 2nd'' he said.
''OK'' I said, as I got in the cab.
To my horror, the parking brake WAS already set, so those clowns had been dragging my brakes all thru their shop! Not going back there.

Only issue left is steering column related. Horn is INOP, turn signal cancelling cam broke inside, so now no turn signals. I will need a fresh bearing in the steering column [and new T/S Sw assembly] and then maybe my OEM style horn can work. I have a redneck engineering-style remote horn button from Auto Zone. but I'd prefer the real horn button.
Meanwhile I'm making old school hand signals like Jethro Beaudine. I have a ''Mickey Mouse'' white cotton glove for night visibility. Looks like I'm out of ''Blinker Fluid''.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:04 AM   #114
89AKurt

Quote:
Hey Kurt.
It has been a while. I love the smell of juniper. Wood smells good and even better when burning. The way it splits into shingles and sticks for kindling is better than any other type wood. I had a cord of Alligator Juniper in the attic of my Mom's A-frame in Pinetop. When she sold the place, I hauled most of it down to Tucson. All gone now.
[...]
My first choice is Alligator Juniper, less bark mess. This was a Utah Juniper, very close to the Shaggybark Juniper, they make a hell of a mess. Burns great in the wood stove, much less soot to clean out of the flue. I also burn Oak, think I have Walnut too, it burns hot, but does not burn down to ash at the end, and need to use pine or Juniper to get hot enough for it to burn.

So glad I don't need to deal with Emissions test! I have some of those same issues, just lost interest and $ to continue fixing.

Second trip, got all but the huge trunk and branches.

Different angle for glamor shots, and can see the load, which is important.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:21 AM   #115
'68OrangeSunshine

Nice shots. Your Ol Blue, looks like he's happiest pulling logs. Some dogs are like that too.
Also got a new vinyl carport up, Jimmy's under it now.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #116
89AKurt

Added racing seatbelts.

Been awhile since I have checked in, COVID1984 has not taken me out. I was decluttering my shop and unearthed this set of Deist seatbelts that were given me years ago. The original seatbelts did not retract, and the driver buckle was missing the button latch, had to keep a screwdriver on the dash. Needed to unbolt the inner mount, and bend out so the belt end could attach. Did some dorky cheapskate details to tidy up the installation. (have new upholstery and padding, when I have a whole weekend and it's not hot as hell ....)
Old 08-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #117
'68OrangeSunshine

Hey Kurt, Looks like those will keep you from diving thru the windshield.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #118
Indyuke

I love this thread. I just picked up a 68 C10 earlier this year that's nearly identical to yours, colors, options, everything. I think mine is actually in worse shape though.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:47 AM   #119
89AKurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyuke View Post
I love this thread. I just picked up a 68 C10 earlier this year that's nearly identical to yours, colors, options, everything. I think mine is actually in worse shape though.
Very cool! Thank you.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:48 AM   #120
89AKurt

Quote:
Hey Kurt, Looks like those will keep you from diving thru the windshield.
Sure will! The original belts were shot. Good you have a carport, anything helps.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:00 AM   #121
89AKurt

Not much to brag about, other than (new nickname) Blue Cloud has been running great.
Doing the environmentalist thing of recycling. Made maybe 10 cents per hour with this load. LOL

Neighbor helped me load this Stovebolt block. He wants my truck. LOL

Some downtown Prescott pictures. 9/11:

Another day:

Prescott Valley, the 9/11 Healing Field:

I upgraded to a one wire alternator. Dan at Fast Lane in Prescott Valley doing old school soldering the terminals onto the cables.

Am having the temperature gauge pegging, but it's running normal.

Not much else happening, consider it good news!
Old 09-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #122
'68OrangeSunshine

Hey Kurt. Looks good.
My only safety note would be to replace the clear plastic fuel filter with a steel one.
I had a backfire on the 454 in my '67 K/10 Suburban, the oil-soaked K&N air cleaner caught fire; the electric fuel pump stayed on, and the plastic fuel filter was just starting to melt, when some friendlies jumped in with fire extinguishers.
Had to tow it home from Glamis, Cal, and she's been sitting ever since.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-19-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:10 PM   #123
89AKurt

Quote:
Hey Kurt. Looks good.
My only safety note would be to replace the clear plastic fuel filter with a steel one.
Good idea, my previous truck had a Nissan steel filter, which is more effective than these cheap units.

I was thinking of adding this vintage gas can, more for looks than anything, but could be used.

Radio DJ was talking about when cup holders were invented, got me to thinking. My Dorky cheapskate modification, cardboard tube is from a paper roll used for big printers (think "blueprints"). Glued down with silicon caulking, easy to rip out if I ever fix up the truck.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:13 AM   #124
'68OrangeSunshine

I've got several. I fill 'em at Frys w/ cheap gas points every month.
Take a look at the red steel jerry cans in Harbor Freight. They retail at 40 bucks, but they have coupon deals for 20 per cent off in junk mail. Made in USA.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #125
89AKurt

Quote:
I've got several. I fill 'em at Frys w/ cheap gas points every month.
Take a look at the red steel jerry cans in Harbor Freight. They retail at 40 bucks, but they have coupon deals for 20 per cent off in junk mail. Made in USA.
Good idea. I'm still mulling over it......

I was having rain water filling up the glovebox (which is one of the few new parts I have installed). This evening I pulled the cowl grill, and saw the radio antenna hole needed to be taped over, put some silicon caulking in any other potential holes, and taped over the holes where the missing rubber for the rear of the hood goes. I'm just attempting to delay the inevitable.

Now I'm thinking of putting on new shocks. Almost all topics are about lowered projects, so not worth reading. The mechanic I trust recommends KYB, ordered a set.

Also thinking of adding anti-sway bars. The '69 I owned before had the front bar. Bookmarking this topic:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...anti+sway+bars
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...anti+sway+bars
Awesome install thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=72338

Last edited by 89AKurt; 09-28-2020 at 12:55 AM.
89AKurt is offline   Reply With Quote