The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
Robznob11

Brake line restrictors?

Quick question would a 68 all drum chassis have any kind of fluid restrictors in the plumbing? Like the brass tee fittings or anything? Just want to make sure my new rear disc are getting plenty of fluid.
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Brake line restrictors?

Residual valves used to be used in drum brake systems to maintain a very little pressure on the brakes due to the springs on the brake shoes. I believe the valves were inserted in the master cylinders ports, at least on some designs but I am not sure about these trucks.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
Robznob11

Yes I know about these , I fact I'm running a 2lb for the rear disc. But a fellow told me that some novas and gm cars had restrictors to limit fluid to the rear. Rather than hold psi on the rear. As far as I can see this truck does not have any but I wondered if any of the plumbing fittings were small I'd persay. The new disc on the rear require a lot more fluid than the drums did. I have the wilwood proportion valve wide open and still cant lock them.

LED TAILS
Old 06-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The whole idea with disc (or drum, for that matter) brakes would be that they don't lock up, because then you are sliding on greased (smoking) tire treads, when they melt with lock up. That's less stopping power. If you are concerned about maximum stopping power, you should consider anti-lock brakes.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:49 PM   #5
Robznob11

Well I get it but most vehicles on an aggressive stop will lock some thing. I'm just trying to sort out the dadgum caddy metric calipers. I think they stuck. And am tempted to send them back...first they did not grab enough. Now the freaking things are working but evidently I have them adjusted to right caus they get hot as heck. And In my opinion dont stop any better than the stock drums I had. Guy who sold them to me can only come up with it must be a restriction...trying to eliminate that theory. I'm running all new hardware. Wilwood 1" tandem, wilwood proportion valve, and wilwood 7:1 pedal. Worked fine with the drums. And according to wilwood is optimum for 4 wheel disc! Front is 71 disc, all new. Bleed out. I can stand on the pedal with no bleed off. And it's nice and firm. Just dont feel they are performing as well as they should. I figured I could at least get the fronts to lock in a panic stop. They will lock for a smokey burn out tho.

LED TAILS
Old 06-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Is that a disc/drum master cylinder or disc/disc? I honestly don't have any experience with disc/disc setups beyond my new car, but it came that way.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
Robznob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Is that a disc/drum master cylinder or disc/disc? I honestly don't have any experience with disc/disc setups beyond my new car, but it came that way.
Its either.

LED TAILS
Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Unhappy Re: Brake line restrictors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
Well I get it but most vehicles on an aggressive stop will lock some thing. I'm just trying to sort out the dadgum caddy metric calipers. I think they stuck. And am tempted to send them back...first they did not grab enough. Now the freaking things are working but evidently I have them adjusted to right caus they get hot as heck. And In my opinion dont stop any better than the stock drums I had. Guy who sold them to me can only come up with it must be a restriction...trying to eliminate that theory. I'm running all new hardware. Wilwood 1" tandem, wilwood proportion valve, and wilwood 7:1 pedal. Worked fine with the drums. And according to wilwood is optimum for 4 wheel disc! Front is 71 disc, all new. Bleed out. I can stand on the pedal with no bleed off. And it's nice and firm. Just dont feel they are performing as well as they should. I figured I could at least get the fronts to lock in a panic stop. They will lock for a smokey burn out tho.

I can't get the dang things to work for crap! I wished I'd just left the drums on it. They want lock up unless like you say they get hot even when your not using them. The adjustments for them suck also. I just have it where they will hold the truck on a incline and left it.
I have read and re read several articles on this and not one is clear on how you adjust the dang things.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #9
Robznob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post

I can't get the dang things to work for crap! I wished I'd just left the drums on it. They want lock up unless like you say they get hot even when your not using them. The adjustments for them suck also. I just have it where they will hold the truck on a incline and left it.
I have read and re read several articles on this and not one is clear on how you adjust the dang things.
Ahhh so I'm not alone.. you know what ticks me off is the ones who say oh you just dont know how to adjust them. B.S. I know what the heck I'm doing....just working with crap in my.02 . I'm no Dilbert dipstick who cant poor pee out of a boot. I know how to bleed brakes and pretty much fix or build anything....but you cant fix a piss poor design....

LED TAILS
Old 06-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Brake line restrictors?

Quote:
Ahhh so I'm not alone.. you know what ticks me off is the ones who say oh you just dont know how to adjust them. B.S. I know what the heck I'm doing....just working with crap in my.02 . I'm no Dilbert dipstick who cant poor pee out of a boot. I know how to bleed brakes and pretty much fix or build anything....but you cant fix a piss poor design....

Agree sir. No your not alone! I'm not fond of these brakes what so ever. Disc brakes are for looks only in my opinion. For the rear any way. I hate I spent this money for a sub par part.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
Jason Banks

The biggest restriction I had in my rear brake lines was the 50 year old rubber hose. Hopefully you have already replaced it. I could barely get fluid to drip out...
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #12
Robznob11

Everything is new except the hard line on frame.

LED TAILS
Old 06-21-2018, 06:05 AM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Brake line restrictors?

Quote:
Everything is new except the hard line on frame.
Mine also. New S/S braided lines are now in place of all rubber hoses.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 06-21-2018, 06:26 AM   #14
Robznob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Mine also. New S/S braided lines are now in place of all rubber hoses.
Same here. I have one brand new rubber hose from frame to rear....

LED TAILS
Old 06-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #15
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I saw something back 15-20 years on a 1977 chevy truck that had a leaver if you had a heavy load the further the bed wend down the more intance the rear brakes would be for stopping
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote