The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
ZEKE68

Rear view mirror glue blues

Anyone have any good suggestions for gluing on a rear view mirror to the windshield? I tried Permatex and 3M kits and the mirror came off three times when I tried to tighten the screw. The last try with 3M I waited three days before trying to mount the mirror. Still came off. Is it the high humidity here?
Old 08-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Rear view mirror glue blues

Stop by a local glass shop. They'll often do it for free.

I've done auto glass for years. The kits you buy in auto parts stores just don't work well.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Rear view mirror glue blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Stop by a local glass shop. They'll often do it for free.

I've done auto glass for years. The kits you buy in auto parts stores just don't work well.
Agree I changed mine out to a compass/temp mirror and tried the store glue non worked. Asked a installer one day in a parking lot do another install and he installed it for me in about 5 minutes.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
RustyBucket

I dunno Zeke, I'm a Space Coast resident too and I re-glued the mirror in the Blazer one time about 4yrs ago. I used the auto parts store kit(maybe 3M?) and it's still hanging there. Don't remember what time of the year that was... it is a little less humid 'round here in the winter. I'm near Titusville.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
I dunno Zeke, I'm a Space Coast resident too and I re-glued the mirror in the Blazer one time about 4yrs ago. I used the auto parts store kit(maybe 3M?) and it's still hanging there. Don't remember what time of the year that was... it is a little less humid 'round here in the winter. I'm near Titusville.
I live in a desert. Humidity doesn't have much effect on it. The professional stuff is just better.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
ZEKE68

I have used the glue kits quite a few times in the past and didn't have this kind of problem. Just wondering if it is the rainy weather, or if they have changed the glue. Yea RustyBucket, I just haven't been to Dogs R Us lately because I have been working on the truck for almost a year now.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
jocko

Important to clean the windshield where you're sticking it with something like rubbing alcohol. I've never had one fall off after I glued it on, even though I've expected it to...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
ZEKE68

Did all that. Tried rubbing alcohol, and tried brake cleaner once. I have done this before. Wondering if I have defective glass!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #9
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEKE68 View Post
Did all that. Tried rubbing alcohol, and tried brake cleaner once. I have done this before. Wondering if I have defective glass!
Well, phooey. Maybe time for a glass shop, they GOTTA have some stuff that will work. I doubt it's your glass though.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:27 PM   #10
69Chummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEKE68 View Post
Hey Zeke68. Do you still have the original arm that screwed into to the body above the windshield...the one that came with the truck originally? Do you still have the hole above the windshield?

I installed a Gentex mirror a couple a months ago and modified the original arm by grinding and bending the throat area where the arm and bracket meet to allow it to follow the rake of the glass.

Then welding the new wedge mirror bracket onto this tab that i cut off near the ball.

The wedge bracket is cast but it sticks good enough.

If you don't have the original arm maybe make a simple rod and plate arm and screw it in above the windshield?

I stole these pics from "bill3rail" since I didn't take any. I wished I had my truck now to show you better but it's in the shop.
69Chummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
ZEKE68

Yes I do. That looks like a good Idea to fall back on if I never get a stick. I am installing a Gentex mirror with compass and temp, and I put a fold down sunglass case where the old mirror mounted to the roof.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:19 AM   #12
Merican68C10

Hey there. A little trick I learned a long time ago when hanging video cameras & radar heads in squad cars:

Take the mirror button over to a belt sander and put the side that’s going to stick to glass on belt, move it in a circle fashion with your hand while belt is spinning. Only needs a couple passes. *BE CAREFUL

Let button cool down/should have circle etching on face.

Prep windshield with a wax/oil remover.

Hold mirror assembly up to desired location & mark on outside of glass with a black marker.

Apply two small drops of Permatex brand from AutoZone to mirror button & press against glass where you marked earlier for approx 2-3mins.

Clean off marker on outside of glass.

Hang mirror about 24hrs after.

I’ve literally done hundreds upon hundreds of these like this over last 13yrs, I can count on one hand how many have failed. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Merican68C10; 08-02-2018 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Merican68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #13
ZEKE68

I cleaned the face of the puck with a mill file, and scotchbrite. Then roughed it up on the concrete. The glue comes off with the puck every time. I have to scrape it off the puck with a razor blade. Its not sticking to the glass, which I cleaned and degreased before hand.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #14
69Chummins

I read somewhere that the glue has a shelf life so if you bought it from a slow moving parts store, it may be past due.

Another option is to go to the auto glass shop and let them deal with it. They probably have the super commercial glue that the consumers can't get.
69Chummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #15
'68OrangeSunshine

Thumbs down Re: Rear view mirror glue blues

[quote=69Chummins;8313835]Hey Zeke68. Do you still have the original arm that screwed into to the body above the windshield...the one that came with the truck originally? =unquote]

I had a '72 MY windshield in my '67 K/10 Suburban. The glued-on clip stayed on, but the mirror vibrated badly -- enough to make it unreadable at freeway speeds. I was lucky to have a '60-'68 style fixed mirror mount amongst my hoarded parts. Screwed that on, and I was good to go.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote