The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
bigschuss

Front Door Window Seals for '84 K5?

Working on the interior of my 1984 K5 Blazer and had a question about the front door window channel run. Though my K5 is a 1984, I suspect the doors are earlier. The glass is thicker and I pulled out the 2-piece version of the channel run. Last month I ordered the single piece channel run from LMC thinking I had 1984 doors, and now installed, the windows are very heavy to operate. I've lubed the run with silicone. I've let the windows sit for a week now. Disconnected from the regulators, I have all I can do to manually slide the windows up and down.

Is my problem that I ordered the wrong channel run? Seems earlier doors had thicker glass...and thus perhaps a wider channel run? Before I order the 2 piece seals I just wanted to check here first for suggestions.

Random question....does anybody make an aftermarket K5 center console latch? Or do you need to find a beater center console and salvage the OEM latch?

Thanks in advance.
bigschuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
Pontiac1976

Re: Front Door Window Seals for '84 K5?

In general 81 was the a changeover year for the glass inner trim (upper) some may have older, but most would have the other. The Big change 88- 91 in the Blazer an Burb glass you can see real easy if have then close to each other. If you change over glass and inner trim seals rubber channel seals of the same year. You should have lees trouble in that area. The door 84-91 shells all the same . ** But if some had changed the shell you may have to tweak the opening @ the glass opening ( steel may be a little tight from storage and moving around mostly at the bottom (where the glass first pop out) but sometimes the upper or the side (where the glass makes the seal). Making a wood wedge long enough lavage to pry a little open. (when doing this go slow and in little steps) "The thing is to keep the all same year glass and seals runs your using for your set up". This includes the vent window glass and seals 73-80 or 81-87 then 88-91 you can get a way 81- up to 91. But the 88-91 on 73-80 you need to update your channel to match the 81-91 vents.
Not too often do you ever have to clamp the closed maybe 3% of the time unless some tried break in the door by the door channel to pop the latch or lock.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:18 AM   #3
bigschuss

Re: Front Door Window Seals for '84 K5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 View Post
In general 81 was the a changeover year for the glass inner trim (upper) some may have older, but most would have the other. The Big change 88- 91 in the Blazer an Burb glass you can see real easy if have then close to each other. If you change over glass and inner trim seals rubber channel seals of the same year. You should have lees trouble in that area. The door 84-91 shells all the same . ** But if some had changed the shell you may have to tweak the opening @ the glass opening ( steel may be a little tight from storage and moving around mostly at the bottom (where the glass first pop out) but sometimes the upper or the side (where the glass makes the seal). Making a wood wedge long enough lavage to pry a little open. (when doing this go slow and in little steps) "The thing is to keep the all same year glass and seals runs your using for your set up". This includes the vent window glass and seals 73-80 or 81-87 then 88-91 you can get a way 81- up to 91. But the 88-91 on 73-80 you need to update your channel to match the 81-91 vents.
Not too often do you ever have to clamp the closed maybe 3% of the time unless some tried break in the door by the door channel to pop the latch or lock.
Thank you Pontiac. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.
bigschuss is offline   Reply With Quote