The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: POR-15 or Powedercoat
Silver Argent POR-15 with chassis black topcoat 9 40.91%
Sandblast with Black powdercoat 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Powdercoat or POR-15?

Short and sweet (hopefully) question.

1968 C10 LWB frame and suspension components (trailing arms/coils, stock front crossmember and control arms, etc.)

Should I spend the money to powdercoat the frame, or should I just go with silver argent POR-15 with a chassis black topcoat?

(Silver Argent 1st coat because I've got minor pitting in the frame from it sitting out in the weather for the last 16 years)

I plan on finishing stripping the remainder of the suspension and frame this coming weekend.

A Local sandblaster/powdercoater wants roughly $900 to blast/coat everything.

I plan on (eventually) upgrading to a "touring" style suspension (coilovers, new front crossmember, etc). For right now, I just want to put the truck back on the road and enjoy it for a while.

I have already ordered a complete Front/Rear disk brake conversion (not the big brake kit), lowering/handling performance kit, PolyPlus front end rebuild kit with control arm bushings, and new poly trailing arm bushings from CPP.

Supposedly the majority of the order is getting shipped today.

Edit - I feel like a moron. Sorry for the incorrect spelling of "powdercoat" in the poll title.

Last edited by JVictor75; 06-22-2012 at 04:16 PM.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
El Campo

Re: Powdercoat or POR-15?

I wouldn't powdercoat it because its really hard to fix powder if you scratch it or have to modify. That being said I personally don't like POR 15 either because I never really trust the "fixes" you do on it. But maybe that is just me. A lot of people swear by it.
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
I wouldn't powdercoat it because its really hard to fix powder if you scratch it or have to modify. That being said I personally don't like POR 15 either because I never really trust the "fixes" you do on it. But maybe that is just me. A lot of people swear by it.
Yeah, that's what I heard on the powder, but I've never messed with it before and wanted to get some input from you guys. So, thanks for the input (seriously!)

Another option I forgot to add was to basically have everything blasted and then just redo it all in chassis black.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
jocko

If you are going to have it blasted, then a good prime and chassis black topcoat will last you and serve your pruposes I think. More importantly, it's an easy touch up.

I agree that many swear by POR 15, but personally I don't think the finish looks nearly as good as a properly painted - or - a powder coated chassis.

So, if your goal is protection, POR 15 ok.
If your goal is looks and/or longevity - PC it.

Seems like expense would add up if you blast, then POR 15 in silver, THEN chassis black it. Is this just because you don't really like the POR 15 finish (when done in black) either? (i.e. why not just blast and then POR 15 in black...)

Personally, if funds were not an issue, I'd PC it.
If show truck is the goal, I'd paint or PC it (probably paint if a resto, but yours sounds like a road warrior, so maybe PC).
If you want to just prevent rust and aren't too worried about the finish looking stock, etc - then POR 15 it.

Now before I start getting a lot of hate mail from you POR 15 lovers (and I am one also), I am just saying that I've yet to see a POR 15 finish look quite as nice as well-done paint (which takes a lot of prep) or a well done PC coat. ALMOST as nice, but not as nice. Ok, throw your rocks at me
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

My preference is Rustoleum or similar product in black. It dries to a hard finish and can easily be touched up if it's scratched or damaged. I like POR but don't like the cost and the fact that it's somewhat messy.

I painted the bottom of my truck bed with black Rustoleum with hardener and it is now on it's 5th year and still looks decent.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
DaddyO

I powder coated mine. Never regretted the decision either..
DaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
chipflyer

In your dry climate I would not be afraid to powder coat the frame, here in the rust belt its a waste of money if you plan to drive the truck in my opinion. I have personally seen several powder coated frames around here that now have rust forming under the powder coat, and its coming off, and that is a bad problem to have!

If you are going to have the frame blasted it would be best to seal it with a quality epoxy and paint it for excellent rust prevention and a nice finish.

Don't put por-15 on a freshly blasted frame unless you treat it first with their "Metal Ready" product, it will not stick and will flake off. Por is a rust inhibitor and requires something to "bite" into. It chemically bonds to rust making a nice smooth finish even when brushed on.
Good luck,

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
If you are going to have it blasted, then a good prime and chassis black topcoat will last you and serve your pruposes I think. More importantly, it's an easy touch up.

I agree that many swear by POR 15, but personally I don't think the finish looks nearly as good as a properly painted - or - a powder coated chassis.
What he said !!

I prefer PC but if I have a mixture of PC and POR on both my projects. Some parts that I plan on replacing later but want to look good for now well they get the spray bomb.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
dhughins

I got a can of rust bullet, but haven't tried it out yet. Supposed to be better than por15 cause it's not affect by uv rays.
Posted via Mobile Device
dhughins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

On my '78, we sandblasted the bed, then a strong sealer coat, followed by POR-15. Did the same under the cab and inner fenders. Reduced it with lacquer thinner and sprayed three coats. POR15 is hard as a rock when it dries.

Only thing I don't like about POR-15 is, if you get on you and don't get it off with some sort of thinner ASAP, you're wearing it for the next 3-4 days.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
mtnbikeman

Powdercoating is definitely A+ in the looks department. I used a product similar to POR-15 called masterseries coatings. They have a silver primer with a black topcoat. Their topcoat is self leveling and smooths out very nicely. I used their ag111 epoxy coating because it is uv stable and comes in satin black. And it is less expensive than POR-15.
[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/size
Posted via Mobile Device
mtnbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
AusTx68

Dang it, I accidentally voted wrong. I meant to choose POR 15. I had my frame blasted and coated with POR 15 for $200. It came out nice and I can easily touch it up as needed.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
VA72C10
VA72C10

If you are going to modify it, I'd simply epoxy coat it for now if it's blasted and not surface rusted...then paint it when you're done modifying it....
Old 06-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
JohnT71

POR the inside of my cab, but wire brushed and used rustoleum on my frame
JohnT71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
El Campo

I epoxied my frame over a month ago and the SPI epoxy is STILL on my toenails (was wearing sandals) even though I shower every single day at least once and have scrubbed them many times as well as used alcohol, nail polish remover, etc. Nothing budges it. I painted POR 15 the day before and got some on me and it is all long gone. Just something to chew on...
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
snj8198

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipflyer View Post
In your dry climate I would not be afraid to powder coat the frame, here in the rust belt its a waste of money if you plan to drive the truck in my opinion. I have personally seen several powder coated frames around here that now have rust forming under the powder coat, and its coming off, and that is a bad problem to have!

If you are going to have the frame blasted it would be best to seal it with a quality epoxy and paint it for excellent rust prevention and a nice finish.

Don't put por-15 on a freshly blasted frame unless you treat it first with their "Metal Ready" product, it will not stick and will flake off. Por is a rust inhibitor and requires something to "bite" into. It chemically bonds to rust making a nice smooth finish even when brushed on.
Good luck,

Jeff
You said all that I was thinking.

I'll add: for a non show truck frame i have hillbillied frame prep by first sand blasting, blowing it clean, then soaking it in used motor and gear oil. Use a brush or rag and soak it down well then fire up the propane weed burner and set it on fire. Burn it good. Do this a couple of times and it seasons the iron like a cast iron pan. This works well for differentials also. It resists rust and allows mud to spray off easy. Again, this is merely a cheap and non show truck solution to frame prep.

Last edited by snj8198; 06-23-2012 at 01:18 PM.
snj8198 is offline   Reply With Quote