The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Chris.

235 question

Hello,

I'm new to this section of the site usually spend my time on the 47-59 forum
I have tried to do as much research as possible on this before posting this question but still have so questions any help would be great!

so I have a 50 3100 that I slowly learned (as I learned more about these trucks) that some body did a lot of changing such as the fact that it has vent window doors and that it used to be blue not brown and the guy I bought it from had a title since 1984 that said brown so it must have been the guy before him. anyway I did some looking today and found as many castings on this engine as I could

Block = 3769716 that I found is a 58-62 235

Head = 3836848 that I found is correct for block

Prefix/suffix = F0309A I found that meant produced in Flint, and that it was made on March 9th, and I think A means stand model engine?

How can I determine the year?

Finally I found this on the head above the Block# B57 848 850 haven't been able to find out what it means

The other part of this question is; is this a good engine to start off with for a mild performance rebuild?

Thanks for any info,
Chris
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: 235 question

I see no one had an answer for your question on this site. You may want to post the question in the inliners.org site. They specialize in these engines.

Is there a reason why you want to pin point the year of manufacture on the engine? A 4 year span on a 50 year old engine is pretty small window. A lot of our truck v8 350's and 250's had a much long span.

As for building a performance engine out of it, that may be up to you and how much you're willing to spend on it. A 292 or 350 would be a better choice for more h.p. but you can put headers, rework the heads, change the intake manifold and probably more stuff you can do by searching on the net or posting on.

Check this site: http://www.inliners.org/ubbthreads/u...10be81aa778163
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Chris.

Re: 235 question

Thanks for the reply, I was just curious about it I'm sure knowing the short span of years is good enough. as far as the mild performance rebuild goes I don't need it to be a hot rod I'm just looking to do maybe a dual carb intake and a split manifold
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote