The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
RAYZDUP85

1992 s10 ?s

Just bought a 92 ext. cab and have a few questions. What grill options do I have - blazer grills fit? How about mirrors - what will fit , looking for something sporty. I have seen some aftermarket mirrors on ebay but not sure how well they would fit. Also considering a v8 swap. What would be the cleanest, most direct and reliable swap?. It has the 4.3 with overdrive trans now. How about an interior source, I want to swap out dash,seatbelts , door panels for a different color. Thank in advance for any help
Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: 1992 s10 ?s

The Blazer and the S truck are basically the same from the door latch forward. Any parts from the front will change one to the other. With the 4.3 TBI the best option and least expensive option to put a V-8 in there is a TBI 350. You can use the engine wiring you already have with minor mods you can use the front acc drive the transmission you have your radiator will work as well.I built a bunch of V-8 S-10 back in my youth and even built one with a 468 big block with a 500 horse shot on a fogger nitrous system. The 350 in the truck when tuned with the right chip you will need to get burned[but you can use the ECM you have now] [SEE, when I meant cheap, I meant CHEAP]The truck will get better gas mileage than with the 4.3. I built one that used the 4.3 wiring[it was a 86 I built but used spare parts to build it, back then I had 30 or so on the yard for parts]and a 350/700 combo out of a G20 van [and used the front half of the drive shaft in there too so no work needed there to[ once again cheapest route]this was an extra cab by the way with a 3:42 posi rear and I had a chip burned for it before on the way to the place I got 19.2 MPG on the way [freeway with ac on]and 26.9 on the way back after a ECM tune. Still had the air on and cruise set at 75MPH. So the V-8 will work less to do more work making the gas mileage go up if you can drive it halfway right.
So in conclusion the cheapest way is to use most of what you have already paid for then put in a 350 TBI engine [they make TBI intakes now to work with vortec heads, there is another 40 to 50 HP right there]
Advance adapters makes the easiest to use mounts and the shorty headers are decent as well. Kinda makes me want to build another bringing back memories. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
RAYZDUP85

Thanks for the info Jim. A few questions, what would be the best donor for the tbi 350? What harness mods would be needed and are there any stock exhaust manifolds that would work? Does the 350 get moved forward or rearward -- didn't want to move the trans, will stock shifter work? Thanks
Old 04-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
hugger6933

The best donor for you would be a 350 TBI truck motor from say 88-95 with 92 being the absolute best so that if needed you could remove some of the sensors off of your 4.3. While some thing wont change like the dist the other stuff will even the 4.3 TBI unit will work on that motor but it may have smaller injectors[I don't recall it has been a long time since I was doing that stuff]
The wiring mods are minimal I don't recall it being a problem at all cause I used the S-10 wiring on the 350 motor.
The exhaust is a trick you can buy mid length or shorty headers that work well and not have to do a bunch of tracking down stuff but I think it was a early 80's Camaro exhaust the worked [the one from the L69 motor]. Your gonna move the trans a little bit weather you want o or not just to get it to fit in there and still have room for a radiator and fan[electric of course] That means the drive shaft will have to be cut, but like in my other post if you have an extended cab I used the front half of the G20 van I junked out to get my motor[with the stock back half I think, or it may have been the whole shaft from the van that bolted up. I do remember on that build it was the first I had that didn't have to have shaft work. But having a shaft cut is no big expense. Check into the V-8 S10 website and look around there you will find some stuff there. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote