The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
1leglance

70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

Well it has been awhile since I posted around here mainly cuz my granddad's 72 Chevy C-10 longbed has been sitting waiting on my 13yr old son to get closer to driving age.
So since we as a family love to go out and play in the dirt I thought I would be fun to get something we can work on that will build his skills for owning/driving the pickup.
Here is my Black Friday Special, a 1970 C-20 4x4 Suburban with a 350 and a few interesting options.

The original owner was a gentleman who enjoyed desert prospecting and the rig reflects his needs/likes...and personally while I will of course make changes it is still pretty cool see how he set it up.
Part of his setup included being able to handle some heavy equipment. This must have made it alot easier.

Another cool bit of kit was this front bumper setup that he could attach something serious to.

The brake controler will be cool if it still works, I will be trying it out this week.

And for my audio enjoyment I get a functioning 8 track and a working Radio Shack CB, along with an old school antenna setup.

I won't know if they roof mount AC works until I convert it to R134 but it seems all there, plus I got an extra compressor setup out of the deal!

The shag carpet will go but at least it looks to have protected the orginal vinyl flooring which should look after I clean it up. And the seats will be one of the first things that gets changed out. I will be searching for 4 matching bucket seats this week....Anyone want an original back seat & third row seat?

I am not sure why the original owner installed 2 hitch setups but the lower one is getting cut off in the next day or two.

Also I gotta say installing Ford mirrors on a Chevy will get you strung up in some parts of the country but even I gotta say that 2 sets of mirrors is too much. I will more than likely take off both of these and install something factory.

I will post up more pics tomorrow as I clean up the underside, engine and such.
All thoughts welcome...and if anyone knows where I can source a factory rear view mirror and side mirrors I am listening.
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote