The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
covingtontn

Rust

Hi All

I am about to repair an area over drivers windshield, have cut out the area
and need suggestions on how to stop rust between the roof and inside
panel.

Maybe some Eastwood rust encapsulator using a wand. Would this work?

Thanks
John
Attached Images

covingtontn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Chevy 350 Fan

Re: Rust

hmmm, I just had my windshield replaced and I took the old one out then I primed and painted that whole lip area where the rubber goes. Mine was just a little rusty but luckily it didn't really rot. Looks like you weren't so lucky. Maybe try some bed liner or undercoating on the lip where it will be covered by the rubber????? you'd have to tape it off to ensure it doesn't get where you could see it. On the other hand maybe just paint it, it took 40+ years for it to rot away the first time so in theory you should be good another 40+ lol. The people who did my windshield glued it in. So in theory I would think that would help keep water from getting in there and causing problems. I know they aren't glued in from the factory but the guy said as off 2001 or something they all need to be urethaned in. Hope this helps!
Chevy 350 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Mr Handy

My plan is to spray everything I can with Ospho. (rust converter)
then weld in new metal and move on.
I think a small pump sprayer may do the trick of reaching in deep. Just give it plenty of time to dry before moving on to paint.

I typically spray all metal with ospho before scuff, prime, and paint. It should kill any rust still around after cleaning. sSems to help keep bare metal from rusting down here in humid Florida if it has to sit for a while.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
franken

Spraying phosphoric acid on just converts the top layer, unless you keep spraying for a few hours. If you sand the surface, you'll see the rust is still there. I've actually built a sort of shower stall thing with a pump and drain to spray a chelation rust remover. It worked, but I used PVC pipe and that stuff degrades in the sun. I was picking up bits of PVC for a while.
I suppose the OP doesn't have a blaster to get rid of the rust.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Rust

I'd be looking very closely at the inner roof (inside the cab) for any signs of rust through, especially where the sun visor's attach, the first cab I had started to do rust repairs on, was very rusty in this area, once I blasted off the paint (portable soda blaster) it was very obvious the amount of rust damage, so, I found another cab and started over.....hope yours isn't too bad......
Ben

snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
covingtontn

Ben

I don't have any rust thru the inner or outer roof panels. I believe the roof gutter leaked at the windshield just above the gutter caused my rust thru.

Before I repair this leak, I plan taking some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator
in the spray can with a flexible wand and hope I can kill the rust
between the inner and outer roof panels.

Take care
John
covingtontn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #7
snipescastle2

I hope that rust encapsulator stuff works out for you, if you could get some self etching primer in there, that might even be a better solution, however, getting a small straw (like what you get on a WD 40 can) in there, might do the trick. if you have removed your visors the holes where they attached will give you a pretty good sized access point. Maybe some very small 1/8" tygon tubing(silicone tubing like what is used on aquariums would get in there and do the job....I have a roll of that 1/8" tubing here at home, if you need some....
Ben
Old 12-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
snipescastle2

one product that I found that may help you in your fight with Rust, is called
"Jasco-Prep & Prime" I found it at Lowes....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_99271-78-QJPP00717_0__

you want to use gloves with this stuff, as it is a mild phosphoric acid, and will irritate your skin (Ask me how I know) you can use it full strength, or dilute it with water. I used a spray bottle to apply mine, and it worked very well, most of my sheet metal was bare metal most of last year (year round) and I had very little surface(flash) rust to speak of after using this stuff..... word of caution though, use it outside in a well ventilated area, and make sure you flush the excess off your concrete floor, or you'll have stains from the acid left over......another learning experience. good stuff though! I have pictures of the cab after I applied it, but they are at home. I can send you some later, if you want.
Have a good one!
Ben
Old 12-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
mmiddle

I'm in the process of replacing the entire roof section. Anyway I am using the Eastwood rust encapsulate spray with the wand. I chose the "GREEN" with zinc and phenolic resin. I did a test piece about a year and half ago on some very rusty metal and then left it outside all this time. The primer has held up very good with no rust break through.

It took about 4 cans to heavily cover the inside of the roof. Tape a piece of welding wire or something to the flexible wand to make it a little less flexible, otherwise the tube will just curl up.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote