The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2023, 08:47 PM   #1
R.O.B.

HVLP touch up gun question

So I want to use paint that suggests a 1.3mm tip, but I want to paint my dash so I want to use a HVLP touch up gun (to hopefully avoid making a huge mess) and it has a .8mm tip. Do I just thin the paint more? If so by how much (10% more reducer, 20%)? Do I just use as is? Please advise
R.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:56 PM   #2
CharlieBo

Re: HVLP touch up gun question

From 1.3 to .8 is big change. I would try some test thinning shoots.
CharlieBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:45 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

It's not that simple. The paint manufacturer knows exactly what is required to get the proper coverage with their product. Any time you depart from their recommendations you risk poor results or a failure of the coating.

Only experienced painters who are very familiar with the exact paint being sprayed and their equipment should attempt what your asking. With no further information than what you have provided no one can answer your question with any confidence that you will get satisfactory results.

With the cost of paint now days it is crazy not to buy the proper tip and cap. Because if it goes all wrong because the wrong tip was used. You will be out the cost of more paint, and the cost for the materials to remove the bad paint and the time it takes to do the job a second time.

Plus if it turns out bad you won't know why it turned out bad because you are starting the process with a deviation from the manufacturers recommendations.

I recommend spending some time researching on the SPI forum.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:00 AM   #4
R.O.B.

Thanks HO455, you make since. Wonder why the small touch up guns always seem to have smaller tips? I will definitely be doing more research.
R.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:41 AM   #5
chevmn

I used one of the Harbor Freight touch up guns to do my interior, and it did fine. It was easier to manipulate in tighter areas. I do not think the smaller tip is such an issue with a small touch up gun, as the spray pattern is not as wide, which means it does not need as much flow - obviously less material is being disbursed. I sprayed a less expensive single stage inside the cab for a couple reasons - expense being one. But, keep in mind I was not trying for a show truck, trailer queen, just a nice driver, I live down a couple miles of gravel, and I do not want to grieve over it. Years ago I had a couple cars I refused to drive on gravel, took to shows, trailered etc. Never really enjoyed them. Never again. I always try to remember that factory paint jobs were far from perfect. Runs, drips, and thin spots were common. Pick up one of the touch up guns, and some cheap paint and practice.
chevmn is online now   Reply With Quote