The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
race-rodz

68 crew cab dually "shop truck" project

this is a back burner project, but i figured it was time to show a couple pics. i have worked on the project 8 hours in the last 6 months, so dont look for a completion or even progress pics anytime soon.

started out as a 68-72 cab, 68 front clip, longbed 4x4 chassis. the 1st plan was a crew cab shortwide, 1 ton diffs, cummins powered sittin on 42's with air ride linked suspension. but, i have another lifted 72, nowhere near as big as this truck was gonna be, and it really sux climbing in/out on a regular basis...like running errands in town. i really need a tow rig, something capable of hauling a 5th wheel toy hauler, or a tag enclosed trailer... big lifted trucks sux ass for towing... so i made a change of plans.

basic idea is similar to this truck by grant kustoms, mine will lay out(air ride) on 22" 10 lug dually wheels, have a 5.9 cummins with twin turbos, and a 4l80e trans.

the cab is a regular cab, stretched 32", burban front doors, and roof skin. the rear doors are cut down front "truck" doors, as i wanted the rounded corner on the rear door, like a factory built truck, not a cut down burban with a cab "back" put on. its a true 4 door, not the typical 3 door. also wanting something a bit different....there is no center post between the doors, the rear door is "suiced" and the front door closes against a post on the front edge of the back door. like a newer quad cab truck, with full size rear doors. the cab was scaled exactly the same as an 05 duramax crew cab, as they have about the best looking proportions. im going for a "factory oem" look for the body.

and this is the "starter" engine, 80k mile 5.9 12 valve cummins, i will get the truck driving with this, then swap it with another 5.9 i have, which will be sporting stacked twins, worked over bosch pump, o-ringed block and head, should make well over 1200 ft/lbs...and i will spin it 4k rpm (stock 5.9 turns about 2500rpm)

race-rodz is offline   Reply With Quote