The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #51
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: Security

yes the wire is hot since it goes directly to the battery...if you have a battery by pass switched relay you could add it after the cut off that wold kill all the under hood power.....

still take one leg of a set of jumpers place a long screwdriver on one end then clamp the other to the pos of the battery a short jumper to the coil you can figure out the rest..zoom zoom...

I got to thinking about all these ideas and I think if you took a short piece of chain rapped it around your colunm shifter the locked it to the wheel that would do it

I'm not sure there is anyway to make it fool proof like has been said a few times already all you can do is deter them so they go to the next vech....all that being said I'm not sure how popular our trucks would be to would be thiefs...unlike a honda or other car or trucks trying to sell it or parts is kinda a PIA for them the quick high dollar stuff is far more rewarding with less risk old chevy truck parts as much as we domand them won't sell to the local body shop, ebay or craigslist...since I don't live close to Mexico I would guess my junk wouldn't end up there no matter how well it would fit in....
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #52
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Back to the subject of removable steering wheels-----what do you think of that concept?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #53
ubtripn

My best defense so far has been on my 66 Chevy truck, a diverse set of dents all over the body along with some well-placed rust, ugly paint and mis-matched wheels. NOBODY has tried yet!
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #54
BOZO
Old School

I came across an unexpected low buck antitheft device years back. I bought a driveway monitor for my driveway. This thing is a battery powered motion sensor transceiver which sets beside your driveway and sends a signal to a battery powered receiver which you keep at a convenient location. My on the road crews were having problems with our enclosed service trailers being broken into while they were asleep in motel rooms(broken into 3 times). I had them put these monitor transceivers in the trailers and the receivers in their rooms. Within 1 year we were responsible for putting 6 would be thieves in jail on 4 different occasions. The police were fairly impressed with our el cheapo theft deterrent.
The one I have here at the house is no longer in the driveway, I keep it in my gun cabinet where it lets me know the second the door has been opened. Something about the glass door reflects its signal, because I can see the unit right in front of me through the closed glass door but the very second you try to open the door the receiver goes off. The only name on it is DRIVEWAY PATROL. It cost $17 at Lowes (8 years ago) and has a range of about 250 feet.
#1 Project...69 Chevy swb Fleetside (Dad's truck)
#2...1983 El Camino SS (Choo Choo Custom)
#3...1974 Datsun truck (4.3L V6/4L60E)
#4...1951 Cadillac Limo (1975 Caddy running gear)
#5...1938 Dodge M38 3/4 ton Military truck
#6...1968 Sportster XLCH trail bike
5 GMC & Chevy parts trucks 68 to 72
Last but not least;
My 1978 Harley Davidson Electraglide
(trusted & reliable companion for the last 30 years)
BOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #55
1968CHEVYC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
Back to the subject of removable steering wheels-----what do you think of that concept?
easy fix, visegrips
Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #56
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

A Mans Best friend and some kibble on the floor board and your set!
Attached Images

Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #57
71GMCer

I drive my 1970 to school nearly everyday....now that saying..the more you drive it to school, the more likely something with happen. I thank the good Lord that nothing has happened (or happen) to my Truck.

Besides faith of course, I have a HEAVY duty club that takes 4+ cuts to get by and i put it on even if im at the corner store for 5mins. I also am very cautious about my doors being locked (or slammed ) If i think i may have left my door unlocked, i will actually get up and leave class just to see if its locked.

And also, if the crooked Bast**d does get in, Its a SM465 tranny! How many kids do you think know how to drive that? It took me 2 days to learn that you cant shift down to first.

All in all i hope your truck stays safe!

Matt

Last edited by 71GMCer; 06-19-2010 at 11:01 PM.
71GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #58
Hubscrub
Cruzin

this is why i drive junk

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 AM   #59
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968CHEVYC10 View Post
easy fix, visegrips
They have a cap that locks on over the hub so it can't be turned. If you parked with the wheels turned all the way then locked the hub then it seems it would be hard even to get with a tow truck.

Once I had to leave my truck for an extended amount of time with a 16' car trailer attached. what I did as a deterent was turn the wheel all the way then run a cable lock through the wheel then down around the seat base. then I ran another cable around the tongue of the trailer and around the bumper and had a lock on the recever pin and the tongue latch. I know all of these can be defeated but they will def make the theif look for an easier target.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #60
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyuke View Post
Kill switches for the ignition system dont work. I've forgotten my keys before... and so I've had to "steal" my own truck a couple of times, and I've bet my friends who have kill switches and all kinds of alarms that I could be sitting behind the wheel of their truck with it running in less than 20 seconds.

I try not to make it a habit to loose my keys though, because running a hot wire from the battery to the coil is 12+ volts. It requires 6 volts, but it will do just fine for a thief.

The hard part is to prevent the thief from putting a hot wire to the coil unless you have a hood lock. So the next best thing is to prevent the thief from actually spinning the engine somehow. It won't start if he can't spin it.
Would putting a chain around one of the holes in the flexplate work?
Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #61
rbagley

I've been wondering if you could use the push buttons in the original AM radios as a switch somehow. Those buttons that you have to pull out to set the station are before my time and it took me about a month to figure it out. It wouldn't be any more bypass-proof than the cigarette lighter idea, but maybe less common. I don't think that the buttons are actually switches, so you'd have to make your own.

Last edited by rbagley; 06-20-2010 at 02:59 PM.
rbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #62
junkyardjohn

FIRST OF ALL.. THERES NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF SECURITY. I OWN A TOWTRUCK. EVEN IF IT'S BAGGED & LAYING ON THE FRAME... I CAN TOW IT. AS LONG AS I DON'T CARE ABOUT DAMAGING THE SHEETMETAL OR THE MECHANICS... I CAN TOW IT. THAT BEING SAID WHENEVER ONE OF MY NICE OLD TRUCKS IS PARKED SOMEWHERE WHERE I EVEN THINK ABOUT IT BEING STOLEN, I PUT A BIG RED TRUCK CLUB ON IT. IT CAN BE DEFEATED EASILY ENOUGH, BUT MOST CAR THIEVES AREN'T CARRYING AROUND TOOLS, & ARE USUALLY IN A HURRY. I JUST WANT TO MAKE IT SLOWER & LESS CONVENIATE TO STEAL THAN ANY OTHER CARS IN THE VECINITY. IT'S KINDA LIKE THE OLD SAYING... YOU DON'T HAVE TO RUN FASTER THAN THE BEAR.. JUST FASTER THAN YOUR BUDDY. I'M THANKFUL EVERY DAY FOR BEING ABLE TO LIVE OUT IN THE MOUNTAINS. IT'S PEACEFUL HERE & I CAN GO A WEEK OR TEN DAYS WITHOUT HEARING ANOTHER HUMAN VOICE IF I CHOOSE TO. IT'S A LITTLE OVER A 1/2 MILE ROUND TRIP WALK TO MY MAILBOX & BACK. IT'S STILL THE KIND OF AREA WHERE YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR KEYS IN THE IGNITION OF YOUR TRUCK OR TRACTOR WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT SOMEONE TAKING IT. THANK GOD I LIVE OUT IN THE HILLS. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #63
darush01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwolf9653 View Post
All of these are good suggestions, but sadly the trend in my area is broad daylight a tow truck hooks up and tows your ride away. Can be done in front of everybody and nobody questions it.
That being said I would suggest a tracking system in conjunction with kill switch, and use good judgement on where the truck is parked or driven through.
best way to prevent tht to my knowledge is pull in turn the wheels to the right if your sterring wheel locks, put it in park or 1st/ reverse and hope that may not stop them but it will make it a pain in the rear to haul putting the nose into oncoming traffic so hopefully they wont try it
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #64
GMCMAX

If you're still running points, run a wire from the negative side of the coil through your secret switch to ground (switch in on position to kill the motor); even with a hot from the battery, no spark......

Gets More Chicks

My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!

68 GMC, 4X4 conversion w/73 k20 running gear and springs, 350 4spd, 4.10's, D44 powerlok front, 14BFF govlock rear, 33" tires, lifted 4".
GMCMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #65
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

1) Here's what i've come up with so far:

i've installed a lock in the steering shaft along with cable routed thru the lower control arm. i don't know what this part in the steering shaft assembly is called?

This is an 83 and apparently there are no u-joints in this shaft---it's pretty much a straight shot. And i wish there were u-joints to make this easy.

Several problems to the point where i can't use it---yet.

a) very difficult to install----the cable/chain could go around the frame rail, but i found it easier to wrap the cable around the lower control arm.

b) being that i used a cable, this does allow for a little movement in the steering wheel----but only a little.

i think using an appropriate length chain could help solve both a and b.

Due to difficulty in installing the system along with the fact that this part only allows locks to a certain, very small, sized to be utilized, i feel it would be better if a custom clamp of some sort could be fashioned up and maybe permanently installed on the shaft; Then, when parked a larger, more reasonably sized lock and chain could be put on this clamp---most likely wrapping the chain around the framerail. Are there any commercially available items like this?

2) If this had worked out better, then i would have felt that this, in conjunction with using some sort of hood lock and using a club and disconnecting the negative cable from the battery would be good enough for now.

a) the problem is that i couldn't quite set up a good way to lock the hood---can you give specific examples?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #66
junkyardjohn

Or put a good (35 amp) toggle switch inline in the nuetral safty switch lead (purple wire) & hide it good under the dash. john
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote