The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #51
watahyahknow

Re: Theft Deterrent?

i seen an alarm system simulair to wat youre descibe it was made of high frequency tweeters and the noize it made was enough to make people inside the cab forget wat there doing and even trow up at times .......... if there not wearing wax earplugs or are deaf anyway

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #52
Xeen

Get a quick release steering wheel kit, turn the steering wheel all the way to right or left wheel lock and take it off.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #53
Billett

Definitely like the idea of putting a lock through the latch and support instead of a chain. And does anyone have experience with the grant quick release hubs? I've considered getting one since I already have a grant wheel but no idea which style to get or what will work.
Posted via Mobile Device
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #54
watahyahknow

you might want to retink the hub thing

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 08-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #55
Billett

That's similar to the engine fire someone brought up earlier. Of course it may happen, but the chances aren't exactly super high. If every other person that bought a quick release hub died they wouldn't still be selling them. Not to mention I'm not exactly going to autocross this thing.

Yet.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #56
jacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise69 View Post
But none of you have addressed the tow truck. When my mint 1965 Eldorado Conv was stolen, it wasn't hotwired or started in any way, it was put into neutral and rolled away.

How does one stop the gear selector from going into neutral with the key off?? If you could prevent this, disengage the starter, a visual flashing light, have a mercury switch to set off an alarm on movement then i think you have closed all gaps. A true "theft Deterrent" address all loop holes.
http://www.mico.com/products/electric-activated-lock
jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #57
jacobs

Another possible brake lock is the Mico Lever Lock. It doesn't require any battery power to keep the brakes locked, however it's not as easy to hide as the electric model. You can remove the lever by unscrewing it. It's small enough to place in your pocket.
If your braking system and the Mico Lock (electric or lever) are in excellent condition with NO leaks, it'll keep your brakes locked for a long time. Even if it does leak off and the vehicle is stolen, the first time the thief applies the brakes, they will NOT release. Just don't rely on it when safety is an issue like you're laying underneath your pickup.

http://www.mico.com/products/brake-a...cks/lever-lock
Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #58
biohazardbill

What I have done on other older vehicles is mount a hidden siren that was powered by the solonoid wire. This was also ran to a switch. The switch also interrupted the hei wire so you could spend a few minutes trying to crank it, meanwhile the siren would go off anytime you engage the starter. Unless you hit a buttin to start it it would make noise. Not perfect, but nothing is on these.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #59
mmmBoost

I help a good friend of mine yrs ago in Arizona mount a 130 or 140 db siren in the car under the dash. Was a pain to install cause we wanted to make it damn near impossible to get to but was worth it. Just hope it never goes off while your driving lol

Demon 68- C20 (conv. 5 lug) 406sb, TH400, 12 Bolt,

Red Slut 09- 1500 Crew Cab Z71, 2.5" Lift, Comp Cam, Deleted AFM/DoD, Diablo tuner
mmmBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #60
Longhorn 70

I like older threads like this. I like to see how times have evolved.

Here is what I am doing. Kill switch that grounds the HEI. Even if the hotwire and try to start it, it won't.

If Mr Towtruck is there by chance, there will be a GPS Unit hidden under the seat that will give away the position.....

If I understand correctly, the starter kill switch can also disable the ignition.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #61
watahyahknow

i seen some verry high pitch sirens for home security , the noise was so bad that people walking intoo it either loose their lunch or became highly disoriented

i cant find a clip fro it on you tube but i was thinking that trainhorns might be more effective aspecially inside the closed car (i wonder how mush work it would be to adapt the inner locks and make automatic door shutters to keep the thief inside the car while having the horns go off continuously ), you just have to find the guy by looking for someone with bleeding ears and prolly eyes to , either that or find the guy wearing enourmous earmuffs

Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #62
jacobs

Here's a 12 volt 119db alarm. I wouldn't want to be near it.

http://www.securitystoreusa.com/Adem...ren-p/7463.htm
Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #63
Scott>72-GMC

Mine has a key hole i couldnt figure out till this forum
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562842
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #64
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick69 View Post
a hidden switch isn't all that bad of a plan.

it cold be put in the ignition circuit or if you have one in the electric fuel pump circuit

Remember a wire from the battery to the coil and a bump on the starter without the key being on and the truck is gone. Switch or not. Need a little more to keep it close to home.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #65
aventur1

Hi Boise69
Good to see a truck like yours in the area....nice truck.....I'm in Boise and still working on mine, a little at a time.
aventur1 is offline   Reply With Quote