The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #26
rowdy11

Re: Lola: My Moon Shot 70 SWB K10

Media blasting done on the frame and all body parts. It was a looooong 3 days, especially getting the bed liner out of the bed. Had to both grind and blast. But the mobile blaster said my truck was in better condition than most he's seen and asked me where it spent most of it's life . Solid people to work with at Dustless Mobile Blasting.

Now to the long, slow process of a rebuild. Frame and axles got their first coat of primer.
Attached Images

rowdy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #27
rowdy11

Topcoat went on the frame today. Wasn't sure I was going to like gloss black but it ended up looking great! I had to thin the topcoat because it thickened pretty quickly during the work.

Here are a few before and after pics. What does everyone think?
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #28
cornerstone

Looks great! I chose a satin finish and after its covered in dust and a little time goes by, I don't even think about the finish on the underside if the truck. Of course if I were building a trailer queen it would be different. I figure as long as everything is protected from the elements, paint it the way you like it.
Do you mind sharing the cost for Dustless Blasting to come out and do what they did?

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #29
rowdy11

Thanks Cornerstone. As everyone else already knows, you do your best making decisions for these builds in the moment and take a leap of faith that they will turn out for the best. When they don't work, you can always back up and do over.

I installed my new steering components this weekend (tie rod/ends, drag link) and started the process of replacing my leaf springs. My lift will be dropping from 6 inches to 4, another leap of faith thing that I think will turn out better in the end.

Also had a potential body and paint guy come look at the rig, which should be starting in the next few weeks.

Next I finish the leaf spring conversion, and start putting the LS back together again and get the mounts mocked up.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #30
rowdy11

Still pounding away.

Installing new Tuff Country springs reducing the lift from 6 inches to 4. Also doing some final paint stripping before delivering most of my body parts to the body and paint person this week. I'm using Eastwood's Countour tool and would recommend it!

Will resume final work on the LS and transmission in 3 weeks in prep for mounting and mocking.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2019, 02:18 AM   #31
rowdy11

After a couple of weeks out of the country, I’m back and working again. Several important milestones the past week:

1. I finished all the stripping I planned and have taken my cab, doors, panels, and hood down to my body guy. Ordered a new cab floor and corners after some cost vs. benefit on trying to clean up all the little spots on the floor.

2. I also FINALLY finished up the new steering/suspension. That means all new components, bushings, and hardware across the board. The only to-do remaining there is to order and install the shocks and steering stabilizer.

3. Next up is the LS. Pulling it out of the corner and getting it prepped and assembled so we can then move to install motor mounts. I also need to order headers and a good radiator/fans set up.

If anyone has any good header recommendations for 6.0 LS and good radiator/fans recommendations that include a trans cooler and steam ports, please let me know...

My bank account is about to undergo a major shock!
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2019, 05:52 AM   #32
72 tigger

Nice progress! I’m sure you’re bank account will be hit hard. You’re doing it right
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #33
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Entropy radiator is the only way to go. Pricey, but bolts right in and is a piece of art. I tried a cheaper route with no luck.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #34
MDPotter

Speed Engineering headers are pretty popular and affordable. They have shorties or long tubes. I think long tubes put the collector down pretty low, but my shorties keep it up higher so you can tuck the exhaust inside the frame easier.

I haven't bought a radiator yet, but I haven't heard anything bad about Entropy. It seems to be a crap shoot with anything that costs less than $800. So if you can stomach it, I would go for an Entropy or you might be unhappy or worse have to buy it twice.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #35
C.I.Blazer

Great information on an LS into a 4wd. Thanks for taking the time to share.
C.I.Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #36
rowdy11

Thanks for the suggestions Stepside and Potter.

I spent time this week back on the LS, mostly cleaning and planning. Transmission is almost ready for paint, lots of work to do on the engine still.

I diverted $$$ to my final rebuild parts for the LS after taking one more look this week. Replacing oil & water pump, timing chain and sprockets, VVT solenoid/actuator, gaskets, alternator, and of course the power steering pump for my hydroboost. Why keep the old power steering pump when the rest of the steering setup will be new? Add all that up with rebuilt and port/polished heads (and the headers) and the engine should be in great shape.

Bought some additional AG 111 for touch up, and engine/trans paint. So far the AG has been even better than I expected. Easy to work with and bullet proof.

Also had a few parts (cab floor/corners) arrive for the cab body work.

I did some additional research on paint this week and I've been thinking about it more because I am at the point of deciding my engine paint scheme, which I want to match with the overall scheme. I realize that the Deluxe two tone 400 series orange/white middle stripe wasn't available officially until 71. So if i paint it up that color, I wont be staying true to a 70 color scheme. But I think it's the best look and still something offered with the 67-72 body style originally. Am I overthinking?

Fell in love this week with the matte black engine look and thinking I may go that route with the engine/accessories (transmission will still be a muted silver). It could look really cool with orange wheel wells.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #37
AMERICAN PICK-UP

looking good sir..
AMERICAN PICK-UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:58 PM   #38
CRMW

This looks great, my pockets are not deep enough for the paint and body work but the ls swap info is handy to have.

Chris
Old 11-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #39
rowdy11

The engine will be my focus for the new few weeks, along with engine/trans mounts and finally getting it up on the frame.

This weekend with the help of a friend I finished prep, cleanup, and base and topcoat paint on my trans. I also match painted a new transmission pan, and my transfer case adapter exterior in the same color. I also finished all cleaning and basecoat for engine done, ready for flat black topcoat.

It doesn't look like much but took several 3 hour Saturday football games in the background to finish!
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #40
rowdy11

Out with the old, in with the new!

Spent time this weekend getting the harmonic balancer, oil pump, timing chain, sprockets, guides and gaskets on the timing cover, oil pan, oil tube all replaced with new.

My son and a friend helped me, which made it go even faster .

Up next: motor mounts...
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #41
rowdy11

I was on the road this week but got back to a big stack of boxes...

This weekend I started installing motor mounts. Got the frame measured and drilled but had to stop because the spacers provided wouldn't fit the 7/16 bolts. Will have to get those machined out.

Also cleaned up my LS intake and finished some touch up on frame and engine block paint. With some luck, I should have the engine up on the mounts this weekend and I can start mocking up a trans crossmember and drill for the transfer case brace.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2020, 02:13 AM   #42
rowdy11

Much to update as I haven't written for a while.

Got the crossmember machined and finished. I was able to finally get the engine and transmission up on the motor mounts. Yea!!!!!!! Huge milestone for me.

Problem #1: Turns out...the tailshaft of the transmission was too long for the advance adapters NP205 kit and bottomed out at 3/4 inch too short... I contacted Advance Adapters, tried the spacer kit they recommended to me (2 actually) and both spacer kits were made for the Atlas transfer case. The wouldn't fit with the shifter rails from the 205. I thought about cutting the spacer to make space, but the clocking ring also didn't match the Advance Adapter kit face I installed as part of the 205. So none of the bolts would match up....go figure.

The solution was to trim the tailshaft output and the female adapter input on the transfer case and they snugged right up!

Problem #2: I ordered a crossmember from a supplier and they somehow missed that my transmission was for a 4X4 rather than a 2X4. So I had to send that crossmember and more importantly, the transmission mount back.

But I found a perfect replacement for the 6L80/90 from an early 2000 Energy Suspension transmission mount replacement for a several models of GM truck.

And as a bonus...I think I'll be able to use my original transmission crossmember by fabricating a brace between the transmission mount and the crossmember. I mounted up the transfer case frame brace and measured how far off my transfer case is tonight with the help of a friend. Right now it only sits about 1.25 inches further back than the original transmission and engine. I can use my original holes for both that and the transmission brace with a minimal amount of fabrication to both.

Problem #4: Even with the motor mounts pushed all the way forward, I suspect the engine will be very close to the firewall as it sits. Can't go further forward however because the Dirty Dingo mounts won't allow much more space with the oil pan. Over the next two days I'm going to re-attach the heads and accessories to see if they will fit and hopefully clear the firewall and frame. I think it should work and plan on adding a spacer or two to the motor mounts just to give me a hair more clearance between the oil pan and crossmember. I also can't go much further back unless I want to re-drill into the frame.

Problem $5: A small one. I also took the time to mount up my Boyds tank in the rear. I had to trim just a bit off the mounting plate to get it to fit flush under the frame between a rear parking brake mount and the rear suspension hangar. Unfortunately, the mounting plates on both sides of the tank may interfere just a bit with one of the three mounts for my tow receiver. Again, shouldn't be a big deal and I think I can work around it.

More updates to come this week since I'm off work for the holidays.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2020, 01:16 AM   #43
cornerstone

Taking a portable band saw to your perfectly normal transmission tail shaft and brand new adapter would take nerves of steel. This level of commitment will make for one incredible truck!

Thanks for sharing... and please, carry on!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #44
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I'm with Cornerstone...I would have been second guessing that measurement and cut to the point of "I ain't doin it"
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #45
rowdy11

Hard to communicate in a write up how nerve wracking it was. We measured and re-measured for about 4 hours over a two day period. The band saw cut through the output tail shaft like butter, and it was really easy to clean up with a grinder. The input on the 205 was another matter. We ended up burning through not only two blades but the blade pulley tires as well.

Once all was said and done, it fit perfect, and I've got it bolted up with all new grade 8 hardware. Tests show a rock solid grip. The transfer case ended up only about an inch from the original location, so I'm very excited not to have to drill all new frame holes for the crossmember and transfer case frame brace.

Have the crossmember at the sand blaster today and while I fabricate a connection to my trans mount, we are starting to assemble the engine accessories up front. The advantage of Dirty Dingo engine mounts is they adjust side to side... so I re-centered the engine yesterday and have much better pan clearance on my right side. I may not need to add spacers. Here's hoping the Headman headers fit!
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #46
rowdy11

More progress before I head back to work for the new year. Got the trans crossmember (and my Class 5 tow package) back from the blaster. They look great so now I prime and paint them up.

Also got the heads finally mounted back up, a huge step! WIth that, I was able to test fit the hedman headers. I went back and forth between the headers and original manifolds, but the headers ended up fitting better. I had to adjust the header on the drivers side to avoid the frame, and will have to bend the output on the passenger side to avoid my front leaf spring rear shackle. But overall, a success...

Got my boyds tank mounted and painted and just need to touch up a couple more places before I put it in it's permanent place.

I also started mounting accessories back. Got the rest of the heads assembled and all that's left is valve covers and gasket. I also got the harmonic balancer, water pump and accessories bracket installed. Had a problem with the power steering pump reservoir bumping into the frame so I may need to find either an alternative reservoir or cut and shrink the reservoir.

I also started building the A/C bracket and will be able to install the compressor after final paint of the bracket and heads (and fuel cell and crossmembers).

Finally, had a delivery as I was heads down working through the day...more baby steps!
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #47
landarts
landarts

Really nice work on the truck. I will be following along for the ride on this one. Did you fabricate the motor crossmember or buy one somewhere? If bought can you share which one you used. Again nice job!
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #48
rowdy11

Thank you!

The motor mounts and cross member are Dirty Dingo and have worked fairly well. I like the ability to slide the motor both vertically and laterally. The trans cross member will be the original with a fabricated piece attaching to a trans mount.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #49
rowdy11

I've been swamped with 2 bedroom and a basement remodel, but still managed so far this month to get some stuff moved forward. I wish I could go even faster.

Tank final paint is done and installed. That's my 16 year old in the pic standing in for my hoist . I finished paint for the high A/C bracket. I'm still in the death throwes of deciding whether to go through with painting the heads black or leaving them an aluminum color. And I need to figure it out quick because it's holding me back on assembling the rest of the engine.

Meanwhile my spidy sense is tingling about the height of this truck intake playing nicely with the firewall. It hit me that I may need to switch over to an LS3 intake. It looks better but I really don't want to because I want the low end torque benefits of the truck intake, because it's stock with this L96, and because I already replaced all the dang fuel injectors and spent so much time cleaning it up!

Lots of body work being done and it's moving at a fast clip. Cab floor is out, and also working on the firewall. Will clean up holes and weld the new vintage air plate directly into the firewall for a cleaner look than bolting it on. Thought the passenger side rocker panel would be in OK shape but after digging in, both the front and rear cab posts that the rocker is connected to are in horrible shape. Just when you think your cab is clean... so we are cutting out and replacing both while the floor is out. This cab won't have a single spot of rust, nor will the body anywhere, when done.

I also made the hard decision to replace the bed floor, after talking over the cost benefit with Maricio vs weld and clean up the entire floor. I'm not of fan of replacing any original metal unless absolutely necessary. Turning out in a few spots that it is. Deep surgery right now...but the patient will come out extremely strong when done!
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #50
rowdy11

The rest of the pictures.
Attached Images