The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #51
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

Re: Subtle change...BIG IMPACT

Up here we call those tatt's "Bumper stickers" on all the girls that have them. Thanks for the good info. I will be doing this in a few hours. I did this on my 66 Chevelle a few years ago, but didn't think it was possible on the 72 GMC.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up

Last edited by chevydog66; 03-11-2006 at 08:26 AM.
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #52
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

I just tried to do that with mine and it only slid down about 1/2". I still have about 3" of column sticking out of the dash. Am I missing something. By the way I have a 72 GMC. Are they any different than the older 67s?

96 Chevy Silverado Z71

Old 04-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #53
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Putter's still representing for those of you who didn't see it/forgot it.

Last edited by JAKES 68GMC; 04-10-2006 at 08:55 PM.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #54
69 Z11

Used this info and pictures today, absolutely priceless. And I'm not talking about the tattoo.

Thanks Putter!!
69 Z11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #55
72armyswbtruck

How about moving this to FAQ's without the lovely pic's of you know who's butt
Old 04-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #56
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

I did this mod and it turned out great. The added belly room is sweet.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #57
WinDancer
The Original HotRod KnifeMaker

I Hate this! Nice simple task, clearly explained, even with great pics...

My mechanic followed your instructions and could only get about an inch and a half closer to the dash. He thinks the tilt columns must be shorter?

Mine is a 69 GMC 1/2 ton, 2wd with a turbo 400 on the column, no tilt.

He said he can't drop it any further because the NSS is right up against the firewall where he quit.

The move also destroyed the shift linkage mechanical advantage and it will not go into 1st or 2nd [he says this is a simple fix].

Is there a work-around for the neutral safety switch issue? The extra room is nice but [of course] more is always better

Also, how to reset the pointer so it points to the correct gear?

I appreciate all the help available here on the boards- has anyone done the short thing to a non-tilt auto trans truck?

Thanks,
Old 05-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #58
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

I did on my 72 GMC with out tilt. I only gained about 1 1/2" as well. My Neutral safety switch is now touching the firewall as well. I actually broke the original one. Had to go to NAPA and get a new one. They are a PITA to install with them all the against the firewall. If you were to install a floor shifter you could remove the NSS and then be able to slide the column down some more.

96 Chevy Silverado Z71

Old 05-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #59
70short/step

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydog66 View Post
I did on my 72 GMC with out tilt. I only gained about 1 1/2" as well. My Neutral safety switch is now touching the firewall as well. I actually broke the original one. Had to go to NAPA and get a new one. They are a PITA to install with them all the against the firewall. If you were to install a floor shifter you could remove the NSS and then be able to slide the column down some more.
Some where on here is how you move the NSS switch further up the column to get more room.
I used a van tilt and didnt have to worry about that. Mine is all the way against the gauge panel just like the ones in the pic.

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:06 AM   #60
WinDancer
The Original HotRod KnifeMaker

We tore the column back out again this morning.

Marked how much more I wanted it moved. Tore off and discarded the NSS, made the notch that much higher, hammered it down to the new mark, painted it and put it back in the truck.

Fabricated new linkage and got it hooked back up. Two guys, total of 12 man hours. Will hook up a little toggle switch for the backup lights and call it good. There is now a TON of room in the driver's seat. My belly wasn't the problem- I like to have my arms out straight when I drive. That is now possible. And there is now room for my belly as I get older

Still need to get the pointer aligned to indicate the correct gear [turbo 400 on the column] and am THRILLED with the new setup. Thanks to the folks here on the board- thank you all again. Sure wish I had found this site on the start end of my rebuild instead of very near the end

There is a huge difference between the tilt, van and standard shift/auto shift trucks. Much harder to do with the regular truck with an auto. column shift.

Note to self: Read the posts very carefully and pay attention to the pics to be sure you are looking at what you think you are.
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #61
Gray Ghost

I just started this mod and have a few questions. Are the pins made of plastic or do they go all the way through as metal pins?

So far I have dropped the column, made the new slot [actually just elongated it about 2" so far] and have removed all the brackets and such.

I drilled the 'pins' a bit but it's very hard metal after the plastic goes away so I thought I'd better ask.

I also did not have to remove the shaft as the pins looked to be right on top...am I in the right place for those pins?

One more Q...if I have to remove the shafts, where do I mark for the spline lineup...near the gearbox?

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 10-20-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #62
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i never marked anyhing, just pulled the shaft out and re-installed it. As for the plastic pin, no need to drill it out, it is made to sheer in a collision. I just took the shaft, and dropped it straight down on a piece of wood. Sheared the pin no problem.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #63
watahyahknow

realy good to see it can be done , i have a tilt columb and a deep steeringwheel in my 79 c10 that makes me do a sit up and beg posture in the truck .
the wheel is way to close and at chest level and i am going to chainge it the same way you did and put a more flat steeringwheel in it thanks for all the how to stuff

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #64
Gray Ghost

Well I got the '67 done...almost. I have a few things to modify yet. It was a ton more work than is listed here. The '67 I have doesn't have an intermediate shaft, it's a one piece. My column had to come completely out of the truck to get the shaft out for shortening.

Took me 3 hours to get to this point and I still have to move the switch on the column away from the firewall hole somehow so the gasket will fit again.

After drilling the pins it was easy to shorten the shaft though....two blows on a tree stump did the trick. It was also easy to bolt everything back up and I've got 2" more room now.

Next up is the '70. I didn't want to use the daily driver as a guinea pig, so I saved it for today. It does have a two piece shaft, so it should be a good bit easier.

I took pics...lots of them, so I'll be adding pages on my site for both procedures soon. This is a great mod and one I have been wanting to do forever. I stumbled on this thread a week or so ago...thanks to you guys for pioneering the way!.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #65
Gray Ghost

OK they are both done! Each one took 4 hours give or take a few minutes. Not too bad I guess. I took 50 pics of the procedure in both trucks.

Here's the 67's page...
& the 70's page...

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 10-22-2007 at 11:29 AM.