The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2006, 03:57 AM   #1
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

Theft Deterrent?

Ok after reading all the postings of our trucks getting stolen I'm trying to figure how to keep the lowlifes away from mine. I know if they want it they will get it, but what are some of the best ways to slow them down if not keep them from stealing it?

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: Theft Deterrent?

I kinda like this:
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
70GMCer

I did this on mine.....easy and cheap......Only difference is that I used a green LED......

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=141268

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

well when mine is up and running im going to instal a switch or button that has to be pushed after the key is on..it will not start unless the button is pushed...it is inline betweeen the key and the starter..so even if they hotwire it,,it will not start with out puching the button..i had a baha bug like this,,now just to rember how it was done...
billy
Old 12-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

I hate thieves
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
chevyboy55

$120.00 for alarm & power door locks.Is your truck worth $120.00?
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ode=W01F-B6000

Last edited by chevyboy55; 12-02-2006 at 11:58 AM.
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
sick69

a hidden switch isn't all that bad of a plan.

it cold be put in the ignition circuit or if you have one in the electric fuel pump circuit
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:33 PM   #8
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

If I'm going to park her a couple days, I pluck the wire off the bottom of the dizzy.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
chipflyer

Quote:
well when mine is up and running im going to instal a switch or button that has to be pushed after the key is on..it will not start unless the button is pushed...it is inline betweeen the key and the starter..so even if they hotwire it,,it will not start with out puching the button..i had a baha bug like this,,now just to rember how it was done...
billy
This is exactly what I want to do with a hidden button. Has anyone done it? What would it take hardware wise?

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
Rokcrln

Just a thought but I recomend you do not do somthing that will not let it crank over. If it does not crank they will start looking for a reason. Make it Crank but not fire. Hook up a switch to your coil, fuel pump or other that way they will think it will just not fire up for some reason plus it makes noise this way. POS's don't like to make noise when they are stealing cars so it may help.

What I like is a making it run but only for a small amount of time (done with alarm systems) like 20 or 40sec that way it fires up and they pull away from your house as it dies in the middle of the street or intersection and they bail and leave it! You need to push a switch before starting it to delete this function. But since POS's are not that bright to begain with they think if it starts they are home free. Not the case with this set up.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-02-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

the way im talking of doing it,,when you turn the key,,it does nothing,,,you have to use the button to start it...also had a toyata pickup lowrider that had a switch for the fuel pump...if you forgot to flip the switch you only got like a mile or less down the road before it quit..since im going to put a tank under the bed,,i will run a elecltric fuel pump...so that would work to...
billy
Old 12-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #12
Boise69
The Hammer Man

But none of you have addressed the tow truck. When my mint 1965 Eldorado Conv was stolen, it wasn't hotwired or started in any way, it was put into neutral and rolled away.

How does one stop the gear selector from going into neutral with the key off?? If you could prevent this, disengage the starter, a visual flashing light, have a mercury switch to set off an alarm on movement then i think you have closed all gaps. A true "theft Deterrent" address all loop holes.

1969 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 - drivable project

www.americanhammer.com

2013 MBZ Sprinter customized
2005 MBZ Sprinter Van
2004 Land Rover Discovery
2001 Yamaha Road Star
1997 MBZ E420
1989 Ferrari Mondial T

Last edited by Boise69; 12-02-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Boise69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #13
SactoJim

My thoughts are the more obstacles you give a thief the less likely your truck is able to get stolen.

If you have an HEI (I imagine most do) run the "bat" side through a switch and then back to the battery. Make sure you use a switch that can handle the power or a relay. Hide the switch someplace in the cab. A good thief will quickly overcome this by just jumping the HEI to the bat with his own piece of wire, but it's still a hoop he has to jump through.

The next thing would be to install a shut off valve in your fuel line somewhere out of obvious sight. You can even get electrically activate valves as well. The great thing about this is that if he gets through whatever you do to keep him from getting in the truck, then gets the starter to engage (they can be jumped pretty easily), then figures out the HEI thing, then it will start and he may get down the street a bit before he runs out of fuel.

Still the bottom line is if a pro thief really truly wants your truck, he'll get it. The good news there is that the pro thiefs are probably stealing mainly late model stuff.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #14
jimmydean

When my friends truck was stolen, they rolled it down the hill and hotwired it from there.

My switchbox has a valet key on the side so you can lock it out and the box came with a pancake function for alarm output. So if the alarm goes of, the dump valves open. You "could" drive my truck dumped, but it's tough. If I ever lay it out, then that wouldn't be an option.

I am going with a paging alarm with auto locks. My goal is to keep my truck as ghetto as possible so there is little interest anyway
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #15
roj2323

how about setting up the key switch so you turn it to the on possition and then press a hidden button to start but if the person turns the key too far as if to start it it triggers an alarm that won't shut off and or it disables the truck by breaking a circut, dizzy fuel pump exc. simply pulling a fuse would also work.

ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #16
jacobs

For those who are using a points type distributor, ground the distributor to coil wire through a hidden switch. This way if they try to hot wire it, it still won't start.
jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #17
CochinoFilipino

If you share pictures and details of your truck online, and also indicate your location, don't post details of your security system(s).

Depending on how much info you share online, a thief could locate you and your vehicle. If you chit chat in the general discussions, potentially they know when you're at work or going on vacation. From a good build thread they know your list of goodies etc.

If you use the same user id on multiples boards like I do it's easy to google the ID and gather info from multiple boards.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #18
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy55 View Post
$120.00 for alarm & power door locks.Is your truck worth $120.00?
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ode=W01F-B6000
Not to hi-jack my own thread but I had thought about something like this. But since it's a somewhat common problem with these trucks to have to push up and in on the doors to get them to lock......would power locks work? Or would you still have to do the pushing thing? I've rebuild my hinges and adjusted my doors but still have that problem

Hart_Rod I like that also. When I bought the house I'm in now I made sure to make lots of noise when I rode my Harleys there for the first time. I also made sure the punks in the neighood saw me "cleaning my guns" in the garage!

Also I agree with CochinoFilipino, While this is a good thread please be careful not to give to many details. Just ideas. It would suck if even one truck got messed with because of my question

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG

Last edited by Draggn66; 12-02-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #19
watahyahknow

how bout an electronic line lock you guys use when dragracin make it work with a hidden keyswitch press the pedal activate the linelock and step out of the car ...... they cant tow it or move it in any way aspecially if you use a right front and left rear wheel setup if they try to move it it will squeel one tiere but whont move making there pressence known to the general public .
it probably whont go whell with the local lawinforcement though

i saw another gadget a while ago that mounted on the tirevalves with a key when someone tried to roll the car it automaticly deflates the tires (you do need to take them off before stepping in for a ride youreself )

i've dealt with alarmsystems and i can say they do more harm to the owner than the thief they go off in the midst of the night lock you out when the battery in youre remote is death and make the car refuse to start at times (thats my favorite when people come to me for carrepairs)

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #20
gangforward
Hootis is as Hootis does...

Best Theft deterrent I ever had -

gangforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:37 PM   #21
CPNEJR

or you could have a car alarm that when it goes off it shoots flames out from under the rockers and toasts the
72 Chevy K20 Suburban (future project)
70 Chevy K20 now 68 GMC K2500
2003 Chevy 2500hd ccsb 4X4 (daily driver)
CPNEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:40 PM   #22
watahyahknow

grin......used to work for a tire and exaustfitter had to drive the cars in for repair .
i did this automaticly without looking intoo the car until i stepped in started the car and felt a wet nose in my neck , i looked around and there was this realy big napolitaner mastif dog with a mouth bigger then my head on the backseat looking at me as if i had made a pass at his girlfriend

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #23
jacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
how bout an electronic line lock you guys use when dragracin make it work with a hidden keyswitch press the pedal activate the linelock and step out of the car ...... they cant tow it or move it in any way aspecially if you use a right front and left rear wheel setup if they try to move it it will squeel one tiere but whont move making there pressence known to the general public.
I've seen line locks used on construction equipment that frequently leaked off after about 30 minutes. I learned not to trust them.

This would be a good idea if you can find one that wouldn't leak.
jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #24
chevguy7

What about a good old club?
chevguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #25
Boise69
The Hammer Man

Got one of those too. I think i'll get that flashing LED, i kill switch and my good old club. I think thats enough.

1969 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 - drivable project

www.americanhammer.com

2013 MBZ Sprinter customized
2005 MBZ Sprinter Van
2004 Land Rover Discovery
2001 Yamaha Road Star
1997 MBZ E420
1989 Ferrari Mondial T
Boise69 is offline   Reply With Quote