The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #26
motopatzo

Re: Theft Deterrent?

On one of my past vehicles, I have wired a relay thru the brake pedal switch that when it was activated, everytime you would step on the brakes, it would kill the power to the coil........was that a vicious golden doodle a few threads back
motopatzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #27
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

My favorite home-made car security device was something that a friend had rigged up a few years ago. It involved a hidden switch and a transformer out of an old TV. If you tried to start the car without pressing the switch, you got a very nasty shock. I don't know how well you could make something like that work in one of or trucks, but it is an idea if you know what to do.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #28
mjensen

When my dad was driving grandpa's '69, he inherited a Doberman. He left the dog in the cab of the truck while he walked into the store. When he came back out and grabbed the handle, the dog went crazy and would not let him back in. Sounds like a good deterrent to me

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #29
watahyahknow

he prolly forgot to get the dogfood )

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
Billett

I'm just all about reviving threads this week. Going back to Philly for the winter towards the end of September. I'm going to be in University City, so not a terrible neighborhood but not like home at all. I'd like to make my truck a little bit harder to steal is all. As far as I'm concerned nothing stops a determined thief, but I'd like to slow him down or deter him from bothering. I'm not worried about anything being stolen from in the truck since I have nothing worthwhile in there, but I'm hoping if they see that, and that it will be a pain to get into they'll just move along. Not to mention it isn't very flashy from the outside. For the city anyway haha.

Plans at this point include sliding a bike chain through the holes in the front of the hood and padlocking that down. I may also drill a hole in the backside of the latch support bracket to put the padlock through as well so it isn't as obvious. I'll be parking it in one place for about a week at a time, so every time I find a spot I'll disconnect the positive cable from the battery, lock the hood, and remove the wire going to my fuel pump as well. That should only take a few minutes at most and would make me feel a lot better.

Besides that I would like to lock my vent windows, but I'm not a huge fan of the way the ones from LMC look. If I have to get those I will, but does anyone know if these will work on the 67-72 style trucks?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMK-4144-419-80L/

On top of that, I haven't pulled my door apart since I replaced the window seals, but I imagine it is possible to use a slim jim to pop the door lock from the outside. Has anyone welded a plate or just put something over/around the latch on the inside of the door to prevent that?

Last thing. I have a roll up tonneau cover for my s10, but since I won't be driving that I need one for my c10. As far as I can tell no one makes a locking tailgate handle for these model trucks. I like the versatility of having a roll up cover as opposed to a hinged one, but I'd much rather keep my things safe so the plan is to relocate the handle to the inside of the tailgate and buy a locking bedcover. I know there are retractable and semi-soft top covers that lock, but at close to a grand I'm not sure that is in the budget at the moment. Not to mention a fiberglass cover is harder to put a knife through. But please if anyone knows of a locking tailgate handle please let me know!
2012 JKU - Funkmaster Flex 2.5" BB, 33" A/Ts
2004 HCH - HYBRID POWAHH
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #31
davepl

I think the absolute best solution is an electric fuel pump on a carb'd vehicle. With the pump interrupted the truck will still start, even drive a few feet, and then die. It has always been my assumption that this will frustrate the criminal enough to move on.

As for preventing someone from flat bedding your truck away, that's another story.

Still, beyond the fact they're easy to hotwire, I don't think these trucks are high theft targets. Someone might want to joyride one, but if you're in it for the money I presume you'd be stealing Camrys or some other vehicle that can be parted out for cash.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #32
Billett

It has an in tank electric pump which I'll just unscrew the wire for when I get out since it's right behind the seat. I'm not worried about someone towing it since I'll more than likely be bumper to bumper with some poor hybrid. I agree, it's not high priority for a thief to begin with, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
2004 HCH - HYBRID POWAHH
Old 08-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #33
Vtec2V8

Two things ive done to my past vehicles.
1.Ran a switch on the signal wire on the fuel pump. As long as that hidden switch is off, the car would start, but as soon as you go to give it gas it would die. Idk how well this would work for the carbs since it would use up the fuel in the bowl then die.
2.My favorite, i ran a wire from my distributor to my cabin light, typically the power wire. While the cab light was in the "off" position, my car wouldnt start. When the switch was place on "Door" the car would start.

Ive seen guys cut starter signal wires to make a push start. Ive seen them wire fuel pumps to switches. Or switches for the entire power system, while it was turned off, the vehicle got 0 power to anything. like there was no battery at all in the car
Vtec2V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #34
Murphy IRE

All good info. I need to install something. I usually leave it on an empty tank. She crank over and if you get her started she'll go 50-75 feet. That's well within the 45-70 405gr range.
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #35
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Put a Ford car cover on it.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #36
SLOW POKE

Stuffed rattle snake in the seat!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #37
SLOW POKE

And a video recorder!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #38
wilbilt

Saw a setup years ago with a pushbutton momentary switch mounted in the cig lighter socket. Pushing the lighter in or pulling it out would open/close the switch contacts.

Depending on what type of switch used, NO or NC, you could have it enable/disable the ignition, cranking circuit, fuel pump, or take a picture of the bad guy, release the hounds, etc.

Since most people don't smoke these days, the lighter can be used for a higher purpose.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #39
Murphy IRE

I like the rattle snake idea, I just snagged one and put it in the tall grass. I should have brought it home.
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #40
watahyahknow

i was thinking dog in the cab myself but a snake is indeed better its a bit harder / takes a little more time to get intoo the truck youreself

as for a slim willy , do you have one of those electric fence thingies to keep cows from wandering off and some wire and isolators to run inside the doors ?..........

the things mentioned above are usualble and are usually part of a regulair caralarm imobilize system they work on a remote you need to press to open the car and then press before turning the key to start
i seen a while back that they put a line lock in the brakesystem with a hidden switch (press brakepedal and activate ) that should get them scratching there heads as whell trying to steal it or tow it ontoo a flatbed

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #41
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

The main concern I see with chaining down a hood is risk of fire. If you have flames and cant get under that hood in a rush, you may lose your truck. its why ive advised people away from chaining hoods.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #42
watahyahknow

whell there those racecar hold down tabs , you can put a little petlock on those too

that would look a little better than a chain through the hood , the truck might not be verry desireable to thiefs to start with and making it harder to steal might discourrage them to try , on the other hand it might work as a red flag that either lets them try harder or set it on fire

another option might be to run a chain over the rearaxle to a stormdrain basicly chaining the truck to the road , allthough early mornings tend to make one less sharp untill iether the rearaxle flies from under the car or you notice a clanging noise under the truck farther down the road

Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #43
Billett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts_restoration View Post
The main concern I see with chaining down a hood is risk of fire. If you have flames and cant get under that hood in a rush, you may lose your truck. its why ive advised people away from chaining hoods.
I'll be in an apartment complex so even if my truck catches fire its not like I'll be able to put it out. I'll just have a truck on fire with the hood open. And the chain won't go through the whole hood just the holes on the underside and then around the latch support. I don't think it will be super visible unless you look for it. Anyone have any word on those locking vent latches?
Posted via Mobile Device
2004 HCH - HYBRID POWAHH
Old 08-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #44
69moneypit
Divorced .....WITH KIDS

I saw a steering lock once , it fit over entire column and shifter could not be moved , it was steel and locked with a master lock.
Posted via Mobile Device
2005 Nissan Armada (wife's idea)
69moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #45
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

3-on-the-tree. No one knows how to drive it anymore.

On a more serious note, I have put a ball-valve on the fuel line on some of my old vehicles. The truck would start and drive about a block before it ran out of fuel. I would imagine that they would abandon it at that point...
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #46
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Just a thought but I recomend you do not do somthing that will not let it crank over. If it does not crank they will start looking for a reason. Make it Crank but not fire. Hook up a switch to your coil, fuel pump or other that way they will think it will just not fire up for some reason plus it makes noise this way. POS's don't like to make noise when they are stealing cars so it may help.

What I like is a making it run but only for a small amount of time (done with alarm systems) like 20 or 40sec that way it fires up and they pull away from your house as it dies in the middle of the street or intersection and they bail and leave it! You need to push a switch before starting it to delete this function. But since POS's are not that bright to begain with they think if it starts they are home free. Not the case with this set up.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Had a friend that did this with a '69 Roadrunner. He had a hidden switch for the electric fuel pump. The car was stolen and got just a little ways away and then basically ran out of gas. They then burned the car.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #47
mmmBoost

Here's a few ideas compiled. Battery cutoff solenoid, Paging Alarm system w/tip sensor (most come standard) with stand alone battery, pass code 9 digit key pad (Like the one in the movie The Transporter) I actually found a company on the internet that sells them, Fuel Pump and HEI power cutouts by relays, Power door locks w/ no key lock tumblers or upper pull/push lock, Weld gaurds around locking mechanism in door, Update to bear claw latch assembly, Hide Dual alarm 140+ High decibel sirens inside cab, Strobes activated by alarm to attract attention, Hood pins with locks or locking hood pins, Drill a hole through the hood release handle and support up front and put a lock through the hole, can't open his hood without removing the lock, locking steering column, Dual 3in exhaust, and if they get passed all of that you get the Kimber 1911 45ACP w/laser sight and the Fausti Over/Under 12GA with 00 Buck shot and go to town.

Demon 68- C20 (conv. 5 lug) 406sb, TH400, 12 Bolt,

Red Slut 09- 1500 Crew Cab Z71, 2.5" Lift, Comp Cam, Deleted AFM/DoD, Diablo tuner
mmmBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #48
rico7769
Hybrid67

always look frustrated while working on it when people drive by that way they don't want to think about taking it. Hard to look frustrated when you love to work on it though.

All show.....no go
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #49
mmmBoost

I've had 2 cars stolen, 2 cars and my truck broken into 5 times all together and had @#!* stolen out of them. And I've never lived in a bad area where they got broken into. "Make My Day Law" needs to be in every state and another reason gun control is not the answer. My thoughts, If a criminal knows that everyone could have a gun he's less likely to do anything stupid rather than if he knows that no one has a gun and he can get away with whatever he wants. Conceal and Carry Responsible. I guess being military I see things different than others.

Sorry I kinda High jacked/blew up about this subject. I hate thieves... Hope I gave ya'll some good ideas though

Demon 68- C20 (conv. 5 lug) 406sb, TH400, 12 Bolt,

Red Slut 09- 1500 Crew Cab Z71, 2.5" Lift, Comp Cam, Deleted AFM/DoD, Diablo tuner
mmmBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #50
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

I plan on wiring a train horn to an alarm. If your no where around I know that will get some attention, and if your within 5 miles you will hear it going off.
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote