The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
70rs/ss

My new toy, dub'd "The BIG Unit" by a previous owner!

Well, I picked up my new toy. This deal has been in the works for several months and Austin (Rivited1) has been super patient with me, thanks bud, I really do appreciate it!! It is a 71 Burb that has one iffy white paint job over the "tooth paste green" as Dan would say (He bought my 72 4X4 Blazer, keep up there's lot's going on here!!

Anyways, this is probably one of the cleanest 67-72 model trucks I've bought so I will keep it, more than likely!! Seriously this is to be the new family hauler, I have an edel pro flo fuel inj set up I traded a set of Vortecs for and some other goodies to make this dead nutz reliable, hopefully so reliable that my wife will ride in then hopefully drive?!

Lot's of picts check it out!!

The first five are on the trailer after the 5 hour ride home, say what you will about Dodges (I have too!) but that Cummins pulled this pig up the Mogollon Rim without missing a beat, and passing lots of scared little cars along the way!!
Attached Images

70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: My new toy, dub'd "The BIG Unit" by a previous owner!

The next five, look at those seats!! the rear two have original covers on em and the foam is perfect!! Oh OH, look at the rust.... Not, nothing a little elbow grease won't wash away!! Can you say stripper?? It has power disc brakes but manual steering!! No factory headliner either, just more "Tooth Paste Green!"
Attached Images

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 06-08-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
big_al_71

man thats cool, I love when I get a new anything to drive or build...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
70rs/ss

All righty then more of the green ness and the exterior has some little bruises here and there, but no biggie the interior is spotless (well dirty but spotless in the sense that there is no rust!) The last photo is for those of you that know me best, I am a 67-8 fan through and through!! MY first vehicle was a 67 short stepper, so 68 clip it is, and BTW, yeah that is original minty fresh panit!! This clip is one of the cleanest I've ever seen, he has the bed and tailgate from this same ride, no scrapes in the bed (Longbed, yeah I know got you excited didn't I!?) He wants $500 for the whole bed and you get a near perfect take off like tailgate!! I am getting off track here check out the clip!! Anyone want/need a pretty nice 71-2 grill, I'm just askin'?
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
70rs/ss

Here's the last two of the minty fresh 68 clip, gotta love the emblems!! yeah they come off before the clip goes on but cool none the less!!
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
man thats cool, I love when I get a new anything to drive or build...

Me too, especially since I have been dreaming about this thing since I asked Austin to sell it to me nearly a year ago!! I have two vehicles in front of it so it'll sit a little while in my, Uh Hem, Storage yard (white trash wrecking yard is the term my wife used on me a while back?!) I have a 700r4 that is new waiting to go in it to get it road worthy, then some brake work and PS for Pete's sake, the manual box is SLOPPY!!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

AWESOME!!!.....You know, if I could get my wife to like these, I would love to redo one for her as the family burbster!!!....

So I see it has the corvette option pizza box cover (only made those in 71 you know!!!LOL)....

I know you like the 68 ALOT, but I like the 71/72 grill s on them too....
Well...we need a build thread on this one once you get it up and going....and Congrats to you and the Riveted1!!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
70rs/ss

Yeah, I need to finish up the build thread of the 2wd Blazer first, but before that I have a 94 Camaro that has my number, long story!! I hope the wifey gets warmed up to it as I spent less on this than two months of payments on the Dodge that pulled it home!!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i've never seen nor heard of a flip front seat in a 67 - 72 burb
you commented on the power brakes... they were standard.
That looks like a verry clean burb... i TOTALLY agree on the 68 clip... all the others pale in comparison.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 06-08-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

Nice project. Either clip will look great. If you decide to stay with what's there, I've got some parts I'll swap you for the clip, .
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
i've never seen nor heard of a flip front seat in a 67 - 72 burb
you commented on the power brakes... they were standard.
That looks like a verry clean burb... i TOTALLY agree on the 68 clip... all the others pale in comparison.
I am about 98% sure the front seat is from a pick-up and has been recovered as well the rear two are oe and darn nice for spending thier whole life in the SW sun!! It was bought new in El Paso but the owner was from Las Cruces, NM and it spent most of it's life there, then to PHX, where Austin bought it, I believe I am like the second or third titled owner (Austin handed me the NM title and he nor the other PHX had switched the title into thier names so like 4-5 owners, but only 2-3 titled, it is super durep clean on the inside, and what luck, I found a WHITE 68 clip so when I swap it I don't have a multi colored vehicle, BTW LHM I am not baggin' on ya, every one of these I've swapped clips onto have been at least 2 and as many as 4 different colors!! Like I said I scored with it being WHITE!!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Nice project. Either clip will look great. If you decide to stay with what's there, I've got some parts I'll swap you for the clip, .
Nah I am pretty sure the 68 is going on (I hope so cause the 72 is already unbolted??, SHHHH)
Old 06-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
68,69 K20
They call me the Breeze...

Nice looking burb, wish they were that solid here in NY!!

69 K20

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy"....Ben Franklin
68,69 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
Ackattack

Very nice!

When I finish my 68 SWB I'll be in the market for a 'burb also (for a family hauler too). I gotta convince my wife to give up her 05 crewcab though I think I may go with a 67-68 GMC front end on the burb and put a diesel in it (we'll have to see which one when I actually get it)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
70rs/ss

My ultimate dream machine is to drop this Burb body onto a Dodge 4X4 one ton single rear wheel frame, coils up front, Cummins under the hood, etc, etc!! I have told my wife that I can do this 71 with all the cushy comfort of a new vehicle w/cummins and or FI and the interior and still not have the payment of the new cushy vehicle!! We'll see! After watching the board member in PHX build a wicked 4X4 Burb with a Cummins but on the Burb frame, I am more inclined to try the body swap onto an extended cab dodge frame!!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
Ackattack

I was thinking a duramax frame with IFS so I can lower it a bit
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
Longhorn Man

i know you ain't raggin on my circus wagon. its all good
Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #18
1956cameo

Glad to see you finally got yourself a 67-72 burb! Looks like a real cream puff. I can't believe that the interior is in such great shape for a burb that spent its whole life in west Tex., NM, and AZ! It must have been garage kept alot of that time or parked in the shade.

Looks like if I find my perfect blazer I cant use you as my fallback guy to sell my burb to. Oh well I guess that means I should just keep my burb and forget about those blazers (for now). I am starting to get really attatched to my burb anyway.

You, me, Andy, and all the other burb owners should do a get together or road trip in our burbs. Kind of like what the blazer guys do. I think that would be quite a sight. To see X number of 67-72 burbs cruising down some desolate desert road with the mountains in the distance. The sun setting low, allowing the growing cool desert night air to billow thru open vent windows. Yeah that would be something! Definately keep us posted on this one.

Last edited by 1956cameo; 06-08-2009 at 08:52 PM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #19
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Looks like a nice looking Burb, nice buy!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #20
Longhorn Man

Quote:
You, me, Andy, and all the other burb owners should do a get together or road trip in our burbs. Kind of like what the blazer guys do. I think that would be quite a sight. To see X number of 67-72 burbs cruising down some desolate desert road with the mountains in the distance. The sun setting low, allowing the growing cool desert night air to billow thru open vent windows. Yeah that would be something! Definately keep us posted on this one.
this is pure poetry!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #21
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Mike, I gotta say, it was sad watching her be dragged off. But I'm glad she's getting some well-needed attention.... and I HAVE A GARAGE AGAIN!! Woohoo!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #22
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Thumbs up Re: My new toy, dub'd "The BIG Unit" by a previous owner!

cool burb- i gotta say that now since i just bought a 72 thats the same color. mine doesn't have all 3 seats and i've got a little more rust than yours,lol. congrats
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #23
70rs/ss

Quote: 1956cameo

Put me down, but it may be a while before I am road worthy (the burb needs a little love and a trans, but more I have a ton of stuff that I need to get done before I can get to it!)

Quote: Longhorn Man
this is pure poetry!!!

Agreed, I sat here imagining us rollin' down that cool desert highway!!

Quote: Riveted1
Mike, I gotta say, it was sad watching her be dragged off. But I'm glad she's getting some well-needed attention.... and I HAVE A GARAGE AGAIN!! Woohoo!

Austin, I figured it was kinda bitter sweet, but noticed how much space you had once we pushed "The BIG Unit" out of the garage and figured it was for the better. I can't thank you enough for letting me take it on, I'll get to it here in the next few months, I need to finish up my niece's Camaro and the Blazer I sold, then, just maybe, then I can put the trans in it!!

I haven't been real successful with the multi quote so I had to copy paste in order to hit a couple in one reply!

Quote: jerry moss
cool burb- i gotta say that now since i just bought a 72 thats the same color. mine doesn't have all 3 seats and i've got a little more rust than yours,lol. congrats

Jerry, I have to say this is one of the cleanest 67-72's I've ever owned and the exterior white is a "bad" paint job to cover the toothpaste green, thank the truck GOD's they didn't try to paint the inside!!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 06-09-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Thats cool, I love the original interior, especially the ash trays in the arm rests, reminds me of old cinema/airline seats.

I'd love a Burb, that way I could take the kids with me to shows, not enough room in the truck noiw for the whole family. Not easy to find over here and with the current exchange rate importing isn't as cheap as it was a year or two ago.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #25
70rs/ss

Fly over and drive home!! Just kidding!! I have been seeing a rash of diesel land rovers, and other Safari type rigs here on the rez with what I'd guess are European plates (long white and not tall) I know w/Canyon de Chelly here we are quite the tourist destination, so it must not be too bad to ship em over here, these guys appear to have done it just to take a holiday in the US and I'd guess ship em back when done?? Shipping container, and a boat, and you too could have a BURB!!