The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
MrBlue

Security

Greetings,
We are almost finished with the Orange Beast!
As this is becoming my son's daily driver, senior in high school, I am concerned that knowing the ease of entry we want to add some deterrents.
We are thinking of making a locking hood deadbolt, installing a locking gas cap along with an alarm. Does anyone have other suggestions?
Thanks
MrBLue

Last edited by MrBlue; 09-22-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
chevyndn

Re: Security

put some hidden kill switch's on it, with removable keys
chevyndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
71swb4x4

If they want it, they will get it. Now of course don't take that to mean that you do nothing but hope no one takes it. I would do hidden kill switches. If it's really nice, I would invest in Lojack. A good alarm will help, but make sure it's one where the key fob tells you when there is a problem. No one but you will pay attention to your alarm.

As far as security from other high schoolers, simply don't leave valuable things in the truck. If there is nothing valuable in there, they won't enter it. When I was a Junior in high school there was one day where six cars were broken into. It was only the cars that everyone knew had high dollar stereo systems in them. They were begging to have their cars broken into.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

If you're gonna install a fancy radio in it, put it in a locking glovebox. You are right these trucks are super easy to break in.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Kill switch in the bed-light switch (hard wire the bed light to always come on). I love making OE switches kill switches in just about anything. Did a friend's S10 Blazer's rear hatch switch this way too. Fired a relay to run the ign on and off.

Also a manual choke, and keep it shut when parked. How many theves know how to work a choke, or think to open it when starting a car and it only putters a time or two before flooding?

Last edited by texanidiot25; 09-22-2009 at 11:57 PM.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
mclairmo

I've used the Club with good luck. Also have a fused coil wire. Can pull the fuse and take with you.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
Indyuke

Kill switches for the ignition system dont work. I've forgotten my keys before... and so I've had to "steal" my own truck a couple of times, and I've bet my friends who have kill switches and all kinds of alarms that I could be sitting behind the wheel of their truck with it running in less than 20 seconds.

I try not to make it a habit to loose my keys though, because running a hot wire from the battery to the coil is 12+ volts. It requires 6 volts, but it will do just fine for a thief.

The hard part is to prevent the thief from putting a hot wire to the coil unless you have a hood lock. So the next best thing is to prevent the thief from actually spinning the engine somehow. It won't start if he can't spin it.

Last edited by Indyuke; 09-23-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Also have ways to kill power to the whole cab... Thus, no lighting works.

Fuel shut off is an option.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:03 AM   #9
DANTIP

I like the combination of locking the hood along with a disconnect at the battery. You could tow the truck but driving it away quickly is not an option.

Good Luck!
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
Kill switch in the bed-light switch (hard wire the bed light to always come on). I love making OE switches kill switches in just about anything. Did a friend's S10 Blazer's rear hatch switch this way too. Fired a relay to run the ign on and off.

Also a manual choke, and keep it shut when parked. How many theves know how to work a choke, or think to open it when starting a car and it only putters a time or two before flooding?
You sound like my brother in laws friend that uses a cigarette lighter for a kill switch. You take the lighter with you when you get out. I have no idea how it works though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyuke View Post
Kill switches for the ignition system dont work. I've forgotten my keys before... and so I've had to "steal" my own truck a couple of times, and I've bet my friends who have kill switches and all kinds of alarms that I could be sitting behind the wheel of their truck with it running in less than 20 seconds.
I think you just posted a "how to" for my neighbors to come and steal my truck. Could you drop the details? I didn't even know it myself.

Quote:

Fuel shut off is an option.
Fuel shut off is the best imo.

Bottom line is, if they get it, you want to get it back ASAP so have a "lojack" installed so the police can find it for you.

www.lojack.com

Last edited by highperf4x4; 09-23-2009 at 06:28 AM.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

All of these are good suggestions, but sadly the trend in my area is broad daylight a tow truck hooks up and tows your ride away. Can be done in front of everybody and nobody questions it.
That being said I would suggest a tracking system in conjunction with kill switch, and use good judgement on where the truck is parked or driven through.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
Indyuke

Ok, I edited it.

But why would you NOT want to know the details... if you understand the problem, you can design a system that would beat the thief. I also know some guys whose cars and trucks just can't be stolen short of towing it like rwolf has said. It just can't be done, and I know it's because they've thought through every trick a thief could use and came up with a system that would beat them all.

I think it would be cool if someone came up with a way to make it so the truck only starts when you or anyone you designate is within 3ft of it. Like a micro transmitter in someone's watch or the sole of their shoe. Course then you'd have to take that shoe with you wherever you go.

Last edited by Indyuke; 09-23-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyuke View Post
Ok, I edited it.

But why would you NOT want to know the details... if you understand the problem, you can design a system that would beat the thief. I also know some guys whose cars and trucks just can't be stolen short of towing it like rwolf has said. It just can't be done, and I know it's because they've thought through every trick a thief could use and came up with a system that would beat them all.

I think it would be cool if someone came up with a way to make it so the truck only starts when you or anyone you designate is within 3ft of it. Like a micro transmitter in someone's watch or the sole of their shoe. Course then you'd have to take that shoe with you wherever you go.
It's kind of a catch 22 huh?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #14
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
I'm way ahead of you. I worked that out long ago. It's called factory wiring.

I recommend a different approach.............

I'm just sayin.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
big_al_71

"Hagerty Collectors Insurance" and insure it for the highest amount that they will allow.

I have a kill switch that it is so bad ass that I dont care who you are you wont be able to turn the motor on.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

Not only the thieves, but how about some dillhole keying the truck...

I drove a '73 Challenger to school a few times. I chose my parking spots wisely so hopefully nobody would get next to it and ding it (on the street versus the parking lot a few times), or I would have my buddies park next to it so some girl didn't whack it with her door.

The easiest way to get in the cab is to pocket knife the vent window latch open... Secure this location!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
b-rad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
I've used the Club with good luck. Also have a fused coil wire. Can pull the fuse and take with you.
dude the club sucks it tacks like 2 sec to get by a club
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Pipe bomb strapped to gas tank that is wired to a prepaid cell phone that is set up to only be able to receive calls from one phone number, like your personal cell phone number.
Than insure the crap out of it.
They may take it... but they won't get to enjoy it... long...
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 09-23-2009 at 12:58 PM.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #19
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I have an alarm and the grant removable wheel..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
leddzepp

Alarms, clubs, ignition kills, etc. All of them are deterrents. If a car thief wants your ride they are gonna get it, period.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #21
b-rad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Alarms, clubs, ignition kills, etc. All of them are deterrents. If a car thief wants your ride they are gonna get it, period.
ding ding ding we have a winner all they do is keep a honest thief honest
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #22
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Yes... but with my suggestion, they may get it, but they'll also get a surprise.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #23
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
Yes... but with my suggestion, they may get it, but they'll also get a surprise.
I like your suggestion!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
Pipe bomb strapped to gas tank that is wired to a prepaid cell phone that is set up to only be able to receive calls from one phone number, like your personal cell phone number.
Than insure the crap out of it.
They may take it... but they won't get to enjoy it... long...
**** my trucks gone! -boom- ahh, found it!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #25
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

if you park with the nose in and wheel turned to the stop, it makes towing a PIA since when they grab and go it runs into the car next to it..yea I know no locking colunm but its a start the other thing is maybe a lock on the E brake set lock it at least this will slow them down....

as far as vent window yea you could weld it shut I'm still thrownng a rock threw the window or if I need to be quiet then a spring center punch and the glass falls on the floor....in and gone

I think french has the best Idea no wheel makes them hard to drive and an alarm that by passes the ingnition would be the best thing to slow a thief down or make them move on maybe a newer locking colunm would help.... you would need 2 keys to move it and I'm sure you could wire it so both needed to in the on pos.

what we need to do is make a list of the vonerable spots.....you make the list and I'll tell yea if I could get by it
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote