The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #26
mclairmo

Re: Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
dude the club sucks it tacks like 2 sec to get by a club
I did not intend to imply that the Club would prevent theft, only that it has worked for me. I believe it is also a deterrent. My old 71 Mustang was stolen from my driveway on the one night I forgot to put the Club on and did not put my car cover on with cable lock. Clearly, the thieves were watching for me to screw up. Not every thief wants to waste time trying to defeat the Club when there are many other vehicles that are easier pickins.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #27
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
**** my trucks gone! -boom- ahh, found it!
I've wanted to do the same thing with speaker boxes.
Figured I could wire the phone into the wires for the amp to keep it charged, and put the pipe bomb phone combo inside the box.

My stereo was stolen out of my car the night of the only day I actually left it on coming into the apartment complex (always turned it off a mile away before that). I found it interesting that it was that very night... like 5 hours after getting home.
I always wondered if one of the neighbors apartments would've went boom... Would've served them right.

Steal Todd's stuff, and boom... no trial, no probation... just boom.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 09-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #28
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

ok heres some tools all you have to do is defeet them to keep your trucks safe

bolt cutter
hack saw
3 feet wire (aligator clip on one end spade on the other)....
pocket knife
flat screwdiver
paper clip......trying to save your truck..
personal fav is an old screw in dent puller

none of these tools require breaking anything that couldn't be fixed in a couple min

keep in mind none of us I hope is a pro thief but if you can get into your truck and drive it of so can they..best we can hope for is to deter them so they move to the next poor person ..... as far a tracking it if it get stolen I never want to see it again!!

I'm sorry if this offends some but I dabble in repos so I know easy picken's the worse thing is when they crank and won't start... its hard to driveaway with the alarm sounding if it won't start!! so I would say fuel shut off is a good place to start locking it down because we all know what makes and HEI work and how close the battery is
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #29
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Fuel shut off would need an electric pump right?
Or is there some way to do it with the mechanical pump.

I thought repo people just towed the things...
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
Old 09-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #30
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

how about just using a fuel selector before the pump one side to the tank the other side to NOTHING.......hard to get to far with no fuel

no our job is to get who ever there property back by the best and safest method some times we just knock on the door and get the keys other times we have too....well....you can imagine???????????
Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #31
6772owner
Gearhead

I would just bag it to lay frame and take the key that shuts off the airbag switches! You cant steal it, tow it or move it if the frame is laying on the ground and you cant access the understand to chain it up and get it on a flat bed.

Oh and using the starter disable that comes with the alarm will prevent turning the engine over if they want too.

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644

Last edited by 6772owner; 09-23-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: text
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #32
Indyuke

Hmmmm... you make life hard hottrucks. Now I've got to think about how to make my truck as bulletproof as a tank.

I still say if you can lock the engine somehow to keep it from spinning over unless you're the one starting it, then you're close. Towing trumps that though.

I would install an isolation circuit for the starter and hide it between the frame rails. Not just the control circuit, but the heavy pos feed as well so the thief doesn't simply jump the solenoid with a new hot wire from the battery. IF its a manual, he's then left with push starting.

Fuel shutoff is a very good idea. It's also harder to install and hide compared to an isolation circuit, but probably more foolproof if it can't be found. All the crucial circuits of our trucks can be bypassed with just a few wires and within a couple of seconds.

Someone else mentioned a brake valve that locks down tighter and tighter every time the brake is pushed. Activate that and they won't get far even if they can get the truck running.

As far as actually preventing someone from breaking into the cab, I got nothin'. A good start would be to lock the vent windows, but other than that...

anyone else got any ideas?
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #33
mclairmo

My truck has a weird lever on the floor right to the left of the bench seat that seems to be going to a fuel diverter valve of some sort. Truck used to have a camper and I am guessing that there must have been more than one gas tank in its past and this lever allowed the driver to switch between the two gas tanks. Could be used as an anti theft fuel shut off valve I assume.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #34
Thealien

I like the brake idea?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #35
MickMc

Watsons-streetworks.com makes a solenoid that can be triggered many different ways that shuts off all of the power to the truck.
No power and now the thief needs to find the solenoid and trigger it, good luck.
But if there is no power, no lights, no turn over, maybe the thief will go away.

If someone wants you vehicle, its gone. I just want to slow down the average thief. So, if I go to Homedespot I can feel confident that my truck will still be right where I left it when I return.

Mick
MickMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #36
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6772owner View Post
I would just bag it to lay frame and take the key that shuts off the airbag switches! You cant steal it, tow it or move it if the frame is laying on the ground and you cant access the understand to chain it up and get it on a flat bed.

Oh and using the starter disable that comes with the alarm will prevent turning the engine over if they want too.
ok we have a winner I would have to think about that one pretty hard but even without laying frame if I dump my bags the headers are on the ground so that wil help

Indy I think a fuel tank switch mounted under the tank like they use for trucks with 2 tank would work if you wires it to a a switch that was hidden some where you could make it switch to the tank ( instead of nothing) then you could drive away

I was thinking abut the cig lighter as a switch and it would be pretty easy...the center post on the back of the lighter is conected to ground when you push it in completing the curcuit if you have a electric fuel pump or fuels tank switch then wire up the pos side and use the lighter as ground..unless it was pushed in there would be no completed curcuit...Nice idea... be sure to short out the heating element before you use it so it doesn't keep popping out...lmao
Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #37
mclairmo

You can also mount the battery in a locked box under the cab on the frame and then install a Ford style starter solenoid in there, too. That would keep the postive battery cable to the starter dead until you turn on the ignition switch. I assume this would prevent or at least make it very hard to hot wire from under the hood since you would have no easy access to 12 volts. This is how my Camaro is set up, battery in trunk with Ford solenoid in there.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #38
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
My truck has a weird lever on the floor right to the left of the bench seat that seems to be going to a fuel diverter valve of some sort. Truck used to have a camper and I am guessing that there must have been more than one gas tank in its past and this lever allowed the driver to switch between the two gas tanks. Could be used as an anti theft fuel shut off valve I assume.
That is for dual dealer add-on saddle tanks. I have the same set-up on my 3/4 ton.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #39
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
You can also mount the battery in a locked box under the cab on the frame and then install a Ford style starter solenoid in there, too. That would keep the postive battery cable to the starter dead until you turn on the ignition switch. I assume this would prevent or at least make it very hard to hot wire from under the hood since you would have no easy access to 12 volts. This is how my Camaro is set up, battery in trunk with Ford solenoid in there.
Hmmmmmm

easy one wire alt?? go from alt to coil back feed system ..jump starter...bye bye

Mcliarmo your on the right track in the late 60's I think the went to an electric switch that you could make do he same thing

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #40
vectorit
What?

When I lived in a crapy hood in an apartment complex, my tricked out 4x4 Toyota was broken into numerous times. Everytime they tried to take it, they could not start it. I had a cleverly hidden kill switch.
The last time they tried, they ripped the ignition cylinder out of the column and jammed screw driver in it to turn the motor. They did this after pushing it down the street, and into an alley where they wore out the battery trying to start it. After that I would just leave the doors unlocked, so that they wouldn't keep ruining the locks or glass.

Kill switches work for the average crack head car thief, but if they have the skills and means to get a tow truck. Then you are screwed... Best bet then is to have a lo jack or some other locator installed, then hope that you notice it gone soon enough to get it before it crosses the border or is stripped.

My burb on the other hand has a kill switch for those homie depot stops, but if it's parked for any length of time I take the coil wire off and take it inside with me. But then I don't tend to leave my burb un attended for long periods in public places just because it's so easy to steal.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #41
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
**** my trucks gone! -boom- ahh, found it!
!!! you guys are insane
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #42
1968CHEVYC10

Quote:
My truck has the same thing, but only has one tank now, and the fuel line on the other tank been re routed so i couldn't just turn it off.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #43
70cst

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/battery.html

I am using the above, with the Club...and if that doesn't work...the wife and she doesn't take prisoners.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #44
americanmusc1e

get a broken transmission!!!!

somebody tried to hotwire my truck when it was sitting outside a transmission repair shop with the driveshaft laying in the back.

I don't know if they got it started or not, but they didn't go anywhere. My truck is hard for most people to start. The choke is wired open and it's very cold-natured, even in 100 degreee weather. you can't start it without pumping it, and it won't idle until it warms up. which is fine with me!

It made me think about how vunerable my truck is to theives!!!!! What made me the maddest though, was not the theives, it was the transmission rebuilder!!!!! he told me he was going to put my truck in his shop over the weekend, but he left it outside the whole weekend!!!!!! not in the best part of town either.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted

Last edited by americanmusc1e; 09-23-2009 at 11:43 PM.
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #45
hdzammo

i used to have my gto with kill switch to the coil, so the engine would turn but no spark.
hdzammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #46
andrewmp6

Best insurance you can afford most things only slow down some.I drive a repo tow truck i can take a car in under 30 sec don't even have to get out of the truck.I don't steal but don't mean others don't.Some are stupid tho they broke my friends truck window out the door wasn't locked and they stole a factory radio that didn't work he was more mad about the window.

Last edited by andrewmp6; 09-24-2009 at 07:46 AM.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #47
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

andrew you need to read some of the back posts how would you steal it if it was laying frame????? so far that one has me stumped??

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #48
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

I put mine on blocks and take the tires off. It's a lot of work for a dodge colt.

Removable coil.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #49
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
andrew you need to read some of the back posts how would you steal it if it was laying frame????? so far that one has me stumped??
Nobody's defeated the bomb under gas tank yet either...

Wonder what a truck blowing up while being towed by another truck would look like...

IIOY???
Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #50
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
Hmmmmmm

easy one wire alt?? go from alt to coil back feed system ..jump starter...bye bye

Mcliarmo your on the right track in the late 60's I think the went to an electric switch that you could make do he same thing
Hottrucks, I do have a one wire alt. Is that wire always hot? Man, I guess someone could use that to try to power the starter and coil but I assume the high amp draw of the starter on that small wire would short the wire out. It's not nearly as big as a battery cable. Am I correct? If not, how do i fix this? Route that alt wire inside and add a switch so I can kill it when I leave the car?