The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Damon23

Thinking about getting a suburban

I currently have a 82 swb 2wd truck and was thinking about what we have been doing over the last couple of years as far as events. We like to drive down to Daytona for the rod run and we want to go do the emerald coast and cruising the coast. We also run on PowerTour and was trying to come up with the ultimate vehicle for that. We are a family of four so a square suburban would make plenty sense.

Is their any difference in dropping a suburban over a truck? What about wheels and backspacing and size? I don't want to drop it way down, just a 2-3 inches and make it level and get like a 20in wheel in there. I've looked at all the pictures and a lot of them are slammed way down and that is not what I'm after. I assume most systems work like the trucks and I know about rust but is their anything in particular when looking for a suburban? I've seen the 84-91's go for $1500 all the way up to $9000. I'm going to sell the truck and start looking so any help or if anyone could point me in the direction of one say within 500 miles of Atlanta, GA that would be great. Thanks.

No great defeat was ever just possible in the beginning.

Last edited by Damon23; 08-17-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: Thinking about getting a suburban

Here's some nice ones

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/3998928397.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/3986466550.html
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Given your penchant for hot-rodding/mods to vehicles the following may be of interest, including making a modern v8 swap easier:

Rear wheel abs started around 1990.

4L80E transmission in 1991 models if that is something desirable to you.

The 1990-1991 models had the electronic speedometer gauge cluster.

I'd look for one with rear shoulder belts (were an option, most came without) and rear a/c that hasn't been converted to 134a yet (since it is rarely done correctly on the trucks by 99% of guys who have it done).
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Damon23

I've been looking at a 78 that is up in Alabama. I got the pics and I'm just trying to figure out what I could do with it. It has the 454, nice interior, and it has the factory tach cluster that all works. I would just have to be able to get it right so I can drop it and put wheels on it and wake up that 454 until I can get the LS set up I want. Thanks for the info. I may be better off looking the newer squares.

No great defeat was ever just possible in the beginning.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote