The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
izzy_Britton

2wd k5 vs c10 frame

So i have a spare c10 2wd shorty that I cannot register in the not so great state of kalifornia. I have been contemplating what to do with it. my thoughts have been to build the frame up the way that i would want my daily done and when the time comes, just swap over the body from my DD to the (now) spare.

Then i got to thinking, I really want to do another k5 blazer as the last one never got finished. but finding 2 wheel drive frames for anything around these parts is difficult to impossible, at any price.

this leads me to another question. I have the frame already, complete as a roller (complete truck at the moment) and I can locate bodies from time to time if i look over enough fences. so as you may have guessed by now, my question is...

what is the difference in the k5 vs c10 frame in the way of profile? sure it is shorter, but couldnt i just shorten it to match the proper wheel base of the k5? such as some have done with CCSB and long bed to short bed conversions?

or would it be better to locate a 4x4, yard all the 4x4 suspension out of it and just bolt in some 2wd suspension?

my last one was a 77, started existence in my life as a hugely lifted beast with 44 inch super swampers on it. no joke it was so high that the hood would not go under the eve of the house to get it in the garage. I had to remove wheels and tires and roll it in on the rotors and drums. I then unbolted the body from the frame and hung it from the rafters while i waited for the junk yard to deliver my new to me 2wd k5 frame. bolted it all back together as a roller, new motor and trans and some custom one off (at the time) body mods and mid build had to part with it. I was into the whole truck about 1500$ and owned it less than 30 days before it was loaded on a trailer and never seen again. i just hope the guy who got it for free finished it but who knows. This is one reason why i want to build another.

input greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Hertzdaddy

Re: 2wd k5 vs c10 frame

From what I've seen the area over the rear axle has a different curve to it. The truck is flatter. None of the rear frame kits or c-notches for the trucks fit the k-5 frame. That said, I don't know that it wouldn't fit. Also, I'm not sure about the placement of the body mounts but that is easily changed.
Hertzdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
izzy_Britton

hmm, i am gonna have to crawl under one and take some pictures and measurements to see HOW different they are. Thanks for the info, i never thought to look to see if the c-notch kits was the same or different. good thinking. interesting info you bring to the table there Hertzdaddy.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
STREET BLAZIN

I am building one as we speek, I took the body from my 4wd 77 blazer then a doner 2wd 79 c10 frame and put them together.
First I shortened it 9 inches, then cut the frame rails on the side to clear for the floor.
Remember, the c10 have a raised floor so the fuel tank will fit under the cab.
The blazers floor is low, that's why the seats are on a tall mount.
The bed area of the blazer is the same, but it drops off when it gets to the floor under the seats.
Also the frame is a bit shorter in the rear, the bumper and tail gate springs don't have anything to mount on and you will have to bring the fuel tank mounts over and make them fit the 2wd frame.
I put some heavy wall square tubing in the frame rail ro reinforce it, you can see in the pics where I drew it in and where the frame used to be.
The body is still off at this point, so if you need more pics I can do it.
I heard of people taking a 4wd and cutting the frame and replacing only the front clip with a 2wd. I recomend that ove what I did.
Attached Images

STREET BLAZIN is offline   Reply With Quote