The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board > Blazer and Suburban Stuff

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
NorCalTank

Blazer door reinforcement thing

It is not in the best shape, chipped around the top and bottom edges. Maybe you could sand it back into decent shape. I will let the buyer decide if it sells. $10 shipped.

Thanks
Attached Images

NorCalTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Bigb401

Re: Blazer door reinforcement thing

Hello! Trying to find some answers. New to this site. Are those the pieces that go into the door below the vent window that the screw goes into and helps hold the inner and outer door together. From what I understand 72 was the only year that had a screw below the vent window and that screw was recessed. I believe this to be true........but I have seen in pictures while researching plastic type "things" ,wich I think are what u have, that go below the vent window and the screw goes through that. Is that a gmc thing for the 70 71 72 Jimmy's?
The reason I'm asking is because my 72 blazer has the right recessed hole and screw below the driver side door but no hole for the passenger door, and the passenger door has a little seperation. So Im looking for a fix for my passenger door. Do you know if I can make the passenger door comparable to a 72 blazer door. Or if I could get those two plastic pieces I could fix the problem and at least make both doors match? Any help, thoughts, or advice would greatly be appreciated! Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigb401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Steven B

The plastic reinforcement is for 69-71. 72's just had the recessed screw.
Steven B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Livrat
Member #1049

Steven B is correct,
I see a couple of options to accomplish what you would like..
#1.. to make it "72 correct" cut out the recessed part on a junk 72 door and weld it in yours..
#2 find two of the 69-71 plastic escutcheons, drill out your drivers door recess and drill the passenger door to match and add the plastic parts.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Bigb401

Thanks a bunch guys. Ya I'm not a welder or body guy so option 1 is a no go. Option two I like. That's why I was looking into these and trying to find information. As long as I can fix the problem and make each door the same and look nice I'll be ok. Do you know if anyone makes these pieces or where to find nice used ones? Also I'm wondering if these were a factory thing or dealer add-on? Ive read alot of other threads and some say they were on all 69-71 blazers, or that there is no screw period in there 69-71. I understand all 72 original doors had the recessed screw but it seems there is alot of confusion about those plastic pieces and what years they were on and who was responsible for installing them. I'm just trying to find out who is right and why some have those plastic screw pieces and some don't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Livrat
Member #1049

As far as I know they are not available or reproduced so finding good used ones is about the only option there.
I have had several 69 and 70 Blazers over the years and they all had the plastic escutcheon so I assumed that was factory installed, I can not say for sure in 71 (my 71 has converted truck doors), all 72's both Blazers and trucks had the recess.
I do know that in the 67/71 trucks there is no screw period, it was a Blazer/Jimmy only item
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Bigb401

Ok thanks liverat! Maybe I have an aftermarket door or a cut down truck door on my passenger side then.
Posted via Mobile Device