The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2018, 11:07 PM   #126
fredscarryall

Re: Fastfreddys 454ss

Got my tbi back from tbiparts/spr performance. Looks really nice. He even went the extra step and painted the tbi pod and linkage black.Since I went to 54mm on the throttle blade bores I had to buy a throttle body adapter from tbi parts because my bore on my intake manifold it 50mm. Then when I rebuild the top end with performance parts. I will take the manifold in and get it machined to 54mm and get rid of the 1/4 spacer. Going to install the tbi Monday.
Attached Images

fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:33 AM   #127
fredscarryall

Got a set off 396 heads,(my thought there is to boost the compression with 98 cc heads to take my compression from 7.85:1 to about 9:1,some say vortec heads flow better but I couldn’t pass up the deal), a used set Harland sharp roller rockers,a lunati Voodoo roller cam (20110710), Then I bought a set of maxspeedingrods roller rocker from amazon for $135. They have really good review so I will give them a try. I also got a set of 141-141 proform valve covers to finish it off. The only thing left is to order a chip and shorter push rods.The biggest thing is when tbichip programs it. He said the chip will need a lot of data logging. Because no one is really running that hot of a cam in a OBD1 style computer controlled ecm. I also have to decide if I want to pull the engine or leave the engine in and just do the top end. When I do the upgrade. Plan on doing this after it’s first car show on June 6th
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2018, 12:36 AM   #128
fredscarryall

When I ran the line for the fuel regulator. I noticed my diagram I drew up in an earlier post was wrong. I had to swap the lines on the fuel regulator. Here the right diagram.I installed the amazon Chinese fuel pump regulator,it wouldn’t adjust and the liquid filled gauge started to leak. So I decided to go with the aeromotive 13301 bypass regulator and I had to by a earl fitting coming out of the return from the tbi. Then I bought a manual fuel pump gauge because if I would have bought a liquid filled as soon as the engine got warm the reading on the gauge would fluctuate 10 lbs. I set the regulator to 16 lbs had to move a vacuum line and the rebuilt tbi fired right up. The fittings on the aeromotive regulator leaked, so I had to use liquid Teflon on the threads (don’t use Teflon tape), let them dry 24 hours and now it runs awesome. I also had to buy a 6 an to 5/16 tube to adapt to my solid return line back to the tank
Attached Images

Last edited by fredscarryall; 06-16-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:39 AM   #129
fredscarryall

Since I didn’t have any luck with the Chinese fuel pump regulator. I didn’t want to press my luck with the roller lifters. So I returned those back to amazon. I was dreading measuring for the pushrod length ( because I have messed that up to many times) and I didn’t want to pull my motor and take it to a machine shop to measure for pushrods. I gave Lanati cams a call. They told me if I used stock decked heads, the cam I picked,lanati retro fit roller lifters and lanati roller 1.7 rockers. I could use lanati 6502-16 pushrods. But I would also have to buy a cam button and a lock plate with no shims because I was going roller. I also had to get a reverse rotation water pump because I am using the stock serpentine belt system. About mid July after a car show, I have a month till the next show to install these performance upgrades.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2018, 12:24 AM   #130
Terrick down Under

Have you tried the TBI yet? eager to see how it goes......Planning on doing the same thing and punching my 454 to 496.
Terrick down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:14 AM   #131
fredscarryall

The rebuilt tbi runs a lot better now. I think my bushings on the throttle shaft were a little worn out even with my low miles.The tbi was prone to this when I worked at a chevy dealership in the early 90s. It has Better throttle response, starts up a lot faster and idles smoother. With the 3 lbs of fuel pressure increase I notice a slight power increase. I would recommend removing the tbi internal fuel regulator and putting in an external one with a Manuel gauge just because it’s a lot easier and quicker to adjust. Whenever I rebuild my bottom end I want to do a 496 also. Are you planning on Boring out your tbi to 54 mm and having tbiparts rebuild it.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:09 AM   #132
Terrick down Under

Yes, i am looking for a used TBI & computer in the US, have it rebuilt and machined, upgrade program and then send them down here. Am trying to get it done by Xmas time, with a bit of luck.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:24 AM   #133
fredscarryall

The brakes are good. But I want it to stop like a Porsche. So I’m doing a hydroboost conversion. It’s pretty easy finding part. Oreillys and autozone both stock the hoses and hydroboost. They made factory hydroboost from 88 to 98. So you just type in booster for the hydro boost and power steering for the hoses. I think I have about $50 in hoses, 3/8 barbed tee, bulk power steering hose and hose clamps. Then another $175 in a reman hydrobooster. I also bought a used $40 brake lever off ebay.
Attached Images

Last edited by fredscarryall; 08-04-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:41 AM   #134
fredscarryall

Here’s a factory diagram of a hydrboost set up. The first thing I need to do is move the factory mount for the booster rod on the brake arm up. Because factory hydroboost arms are impossible to find. brakes arms for vacuum boosters are a dime a dozen and way cheaper.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #135
fredscarryall

Here’s a few pic of the supplies needed and the hydroboost mocked up. I have to hog out the mounting holes for the stud. Theres a little flashing from the casting in the holes. Then the master cylinder will sit flush up against the hydro boost. Out of time to work on it today. Will finish it up on Monday.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #136
Terrick down Under

Great progress!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #137
mingoman

Looking AWESOME Fred! I'd love to hear a clip of that running when the updates are finished.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:17 AM   #138
Terrick down Under

Me too, love to hear it!
Old 08-08-2018, 06:29 AM   #139
fredscarryall

Thanks guys. Hydroboost is taking longer then expected. Now I just have to finish the brake arm modification and plumb the lines.Going to start the engine modifications In the next couple weeks. I just need to buy the push rods and lunati roller lifters. I had to wait for the refund on the amazon Chinese lifters. Diffently will video my truck after the upgrades to the engine. The only thing I’m really worried about is getting the chip burn on the computer to run good with such a big cam. Going to put up more pics of the hydroboost and how well it works tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:11 AM   #140
fredscarryall

I Couldn’t get the master cylinder to seat inside the hydro boost. So I added a willwood push rod spacer. Also desided to use a welded on carriage bolt and a nylock nut instead of the weak little clip on the brake arm
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2018, 02:13 AM   #141
fredscarryall

Finished the hydroboost today. Now I see what the hype is all about. Man this truck stop like you won’t believe
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2018, 01:42 AM   #142
Terrick down Under

The best thing about going fast,....is..... , being able to stop. Well done.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #143
fredscarryall

Got the valve covers installed today. Had to drill a hole in the valve cover on the passenger side for the pcv valve. Don’t care for the chrome oil filler/vent cap.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #144
fredscarryall

Got the champion radiator and electric fans installed. Just have to wire it up and figure out where to put the temp sensor. Then fab a radiator cover, to cover the ugly on top of the radiator. Took about an hour removing the old and installing the new. All the fittings and hoses fit perfect. The only problem I had, was I needed to take one of the tranny lines and pop it off the bracket on the passenger side to get it to thread in to the radiator. Because it was off a few inches.
Attached Images

Last edited by fredscarryall; 08-13-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 AM   #145
Terrick down Under

It won't be long and, no more bench racing for you.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:36 AM   #146
fredscarryall

Don’t have any ports for the temperature sensor for my electric fan. So I ordered a 1” water neck spacer. Since I didn’t like my chrome oil cap, I also got a proform billet oil cap/vent. I also made a radiator cover with an old 30” harbor freight sheet metal brake and 2 left over aluminum door kick panels from Home Depot
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2018, 12:41 AM   #147
fredscarryall

Here’s pics of my radiator cover. Made it in three parts because I still wanted to use my upper radiator mounts.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2018, 02:07 AM   #148
Big Daddy Bear

That cover looks great, good work!!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:53 AM   #149
Terrick down Under

Yes indeed, very professional cover.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:14 AM   #150
fredscarryall

Got the water neck spacer in and the oil filler cap. I don’t like how the upper radiator hose looks. It was cut to short from the previous owner.Wired up the electric fans with the thermostat and a bypass switch. works good .Started it up and found out one of my tranny lines had a bad flare. I can’t find a metal tranny line locally. so Im using a hose fitting because the back half of my tranny line is rubber hose already
Attached Images