The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

Airbaggers. Where are you putting your tanks?

I have a 71 swb stepside with the fuel tank in the rear. Where are you airbaggers putting your airtank. I dont want to put it in the back of the bed, i want it underneath somewhere...

Im thinking of putting it inbetween the cab mounts on the outside of the frame.. Would that fit?? There is 35 inches between the cab mounts. the diameter of the tank is about 10 inches.... Anyone done this before???

basically putting it here, on the outside of the frame rail.. I dont have the cab on so i cant really get an accurate measurement...

I was also thinking of using 2 5gallon tanks but the suicidedoor guy said that it would be best to run 1 8 gallon tank.... Thats a tough spot to find some room for..
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
umwtnt

Re: Airbaggers. Where are you putting your tanks?

Hey lyrikc, I can't answer your question yet because I have not gotten my air tank. But, I would like to thank you for the picture because I have been trying to figure out where to install my mufflers and I believe you have given me my answer. I am running the big 70 series flowmasters, Initially measurement indicate I may be able to install them like you have. If I had the measurements of a five gallon tank I could measure under neath my cab, on the outside of the frame rails, and see if the tank would fit. My cab is currently set in place.

69 Chevy SWB w/67 front end
4 wheel discs
468 BB 700R4
Bagged
Coming around slowly
umwtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwtnt View Post
Hey lyrikc, I can't answer your question yet because I have not gotten my air tank. But, I would like to thank you for the picture because I have been trying to figure out where to install my mufflers and I believe you have given me my answer. I am running the big 70 series flowmasters, Initially measurement indicate I may be able to install them like you have. If I had the measurements of a five gallon tank I could measure under neath my cab, on the outside of the frame rails, and see if the tank would fit. My cab is currently set in place.
The tanks dimensions are
Specs:
Length - 32"
Diameter - 9.5"
Height with legs - 11.5"

Let me know sir... Let me know the measurements of your muffler i might be able to take a measurement for you.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
jorgensensc

HA! Don't you remember me asking the same thing? I never did find a good place to mount my 1 gallon tank. I can't imagine mounting something bigger than that. It wouldn't fit anywhere along the frame rails without hanging lower where you would see it. The only spot I could find was behind the rear wheels in the fender area mounted to the frame. But them you have a big tank that you can see in the wheel wells. Good luck to you. I am just going to end up doing a static drop in the rear. I will be putting the air bags on the burb, along with the hidden reciever. I will just use that to tow with. After all, it does have the big block! For now! HAhA
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
HA! Don't you remember me asking the same thing? I never did find a good place to mount my 1 gallon tank. I can't imagine mounting something bigger than that. It wouldn't fit anywhere along the frame rails without hanging lower where you would see it. The only spot I could find was behind the rear wheels in the fender area mounted to the frame. But them you have a big tank that you can see in the wheel wells. Good luck to you. I am just going to end up doing a static drop in the rear. I will be putting the air bags on the burb, along with the hidden reciever. I will just use that to tow with. After all, it does have the big block! For now! HAhA
Shawn
crap.. i dont want you to be able to see the tank. guess i can just run it in the bed... iddnt want to though.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
c10addict

I mounted my 2 3 gallon tanks between the two rear most crossmembers..
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10addict View Post
I mounted my 2 3 gallon tanks between the two rear most crossmembers..
You have your gastank in the stock location? I have my gas tank back there.. Im sure i will find a place somewhere...
Old 09-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
c10addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
You have your gastank in the stock location? I have my gas tank back there.. Im sure i will find a place somewhere...
Yep I sure do... Sorry...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...

Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

Thank you,I hope it works out like I'm thinking it will.
edc=engine driven compressor.I went junkyard hunting for an old york air conditioning pump and am plumbing it in to keep the air flowing.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Painter D

I don't know what this is going to do but here goes. .........It worked!

Ignore the wiring.

Last edited by Painter D; 10-17-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:45 AM   #11
umwtnt

Good Morning Lyrikz,

I did some measuring under, around and anywhere I seen some space and it doesn't look good for you. As some of the others recommended you may be better off with 3 gallon tanks or just installed them in the bed. An idea a friend of mind made to me was to built a box to install tanks in and make them to look like tool boxes. Painted separate from the bed and maybe even a tool manufacter sticker on it to fool onlookers. Good luck and thank you for the offer to check my muffler fit. I will probably take off the cab here in a few weeks and will check it then. I do know it will be tight.

69 Chevy SWB w/67 front end
4 wheel discs
468 BB 700R4
Bagged
Coming around slowly
umwtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
Trey`

I had two 400's on two 7 gallon tanks under my '00 GMC for years with no problems and never burned up a compressor, just a relay once. It now has a Oasis on it but is torn apart for a rebuild. i got a good deal on it or it would still have the 400's. Just bought the 480 dual pack for my '07 but it is not bagged yet. I think you will be fine. Wish I could help you out on the air tank problem. Not the easiest thing but I have seen trucks that used there frame rails for tanks.

"We, the unwilling, led by the unquailified, have been doing the unbelievable for so long with so little, we now attempt, the impossible with nothing"
Trey` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey` View Post
I had two 400's on two 7 gallon tanks under my '00 GMC for years with no problems and never burned up a compressor, just a relay once. It now has a Oasis on it but is torn apart for a rebuild. i got a good deal on it or it would still have the 400's. Just bought the 480 dual pack for my '07 but it is not bagged yet. I think you will be fine. Wish I could help you out on the air tank problem. Not the easiest thing but I have seen trucks that used there frame rails for tanks.
I think this will fit. Im sure i can make it fit. I dont want it pokin out under the rocker is all im worried about.. Its 7 inches in diameter, we will see how it goes... will keep you updated.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
yotaforce

I WOULD run two tanks, outside rear frame rails, in front or behind the wheels.
yotaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaforce View Post
I WOULD run two tanks, outside rear frame rails, in front or behind the wheels.
Now your just messing with me. I have a stepside........Nothing fits there.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #16
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

ok, first the feedback you can use... whoever said one comp per 3 gal tank hit it on the head. it's gonna take way to long to fill a 5 gal tank with one compressor. i run my whole setup off a single 3 gal tank with 1 compressor. when the tank is full (160psi) i can fill my bags to ride height all the way around. Then it takes about 2-3 to refill the tank.

that seems to work well for the "just gonna drop it at the shows". I will also tell ya that for the first two - six months, you'll play with them at every stop light you can. at least i did. especially if the wife or kids were with

ok, the other thing for ya is a pick of my compressor, tank, gas tank and exhaust setup. i'm not sure if you can do this though since you're a step bed.

i'm not sure mounting it under your cab is gonna work. you may run the risk of laying your truck down on the tank, or it hitting bumps in the road.

you have to keep in mind that your truck MUST still move @ 10mph or so if you're completely aired out. if not, you're gonna be screwed if anything ever blows going down the interstate.

IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #17
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
i'm not sure mounting it under your cab is gonna work. you may run the risk of laying your truck down on the tank, or it hitting bumps in the road.
No more of a chance than if you have it mounted on the rear portion of the frame.... It's all gonna be the same height.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #18
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
No more of a chance than if you have it mounted on the rear portion of the frame.... It's all gonna be the same height.
not really because the frame bends up before the axle. that's why the bed had perches up front, and bolts directly to the frame in the back.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #19
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvelDesigns View Post
not really because the frame bends up before the axle. that's why the bed had perches up front, and bolts directly to the frame in the back.
Ah true Ivel! Wasn't thinking about that. Makes me wonder how I did on my test in class yesterday.... All of my posts were half-assed b/c of lack of sleep!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:45 AM   #20
OARNGESI

Not sure if itll work but have you thought about under the hood maybe the firewall were the heater core goes
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #21
jorgensensc

Stepsides are A pain in the arse. If you aren't running a heater/ac box, you may be able to put the tank in the engine compartment. I never could find a good spot to mount it. My mufflers are even turned verticle, and there is still not enough roomto mount it on the inside of the frame rail. The only other thing I could think of was kind of a strange deal. I thought about putting a shelf across the trailing arms and mounting the tank and compressor to that. You would have to mount it with rubber mounts so that it could flex and move with the trailing arms. The only other thing I could think of was mounting the tank to the bottom of the bed just above the driveshaft near the front of the bed, by the driveshaft bearing. These are just a few different thoughts I had. Good Luck!
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #22
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvelDesigns View Post
ok, first the feedback you can use... whoever said one comp per 3 gal tank hit it on the head. it's gonna take way to long to fill a 5 gal tank with one compressor. i run my whole setup off a single 3 gal tank with 1 compressor. when the tank is full (160psi) i can fill my bags to ride height all the way around. Then it takes about 2-3 to refill the tank.

that seems to work well for the "just gonna drop it at the shows". I will also tell ya that for the first two - six months, you'll play with them at every stop light you can. at least i did. especially if the wife or kids were with

ok, the other thing for ya is a pick of my compressor, tank, gas tank and exhaust setup. i'm not sure if you can do this though since you're a step bed.

you have to keep in mind that your truck MUST still move @ 10mph or so if you're completely aired out. if not, you're gonna be screwed if anything ever blows going down the interstate.

I have two compressors for 10 gallons.. So, im kinda close to where we should be. I will be running two compressors and 1 5 gallon tank for the rear, then when i do the fronts i will add another tank. If it doesnt work out, then i will just have to adjust to how much i play with them. ahaha... I made a mockup of the 5 gallon tank and it sits up inside the cab area pretty well. I wont truely know until i have the cab back on. I will have some pics and what not when that tank gets here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Stepsides are A pain in the arse. If you aren't running a heater/ac box, you may be able to put the tank in the engine compartment. I never could find a good spot to mount it. My mufflers are even turned verticle, and there is still not enough roomto mount it on the inside of the frame rail. The only other thing I could think of was kind of a strange deal. I thought about putting a shelf across the trailing arms and mounting the tank and compressor to that. You would have to mount it with rubber mounts so that it could flex and move with the trailing arms. The only other thing I could think of was mounting the tank to the bottom of the bed just above the driveshaft near the front of the bed, by the driveshaft bearing. These are just a few different thoughts I had. Good Luck!
Shawn
I dont think a 5 gallon tank would fit in the engine compartment... hahaha... Let alone 10.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #23
c10addict

My 64 has two 3 gallon tanks mounted on the inside of the frame rails under the cab... they fit perfectly...

Old 10-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #24
ERIK D

U can put it here
Attached Images

ERIK D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #25
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIK D View Post
U can put it here
Thats exactly where mine is now. Where is your drain for your tank???