The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #26
biketopia

Re: Electric fuel pump question

Checked out your link, you said it was in that black box with the picture of the alternator replacement? Is this the post you're refering to http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...1&postcount=58 If so part of your problem is your pump is way to far away from your fuel tank and is above it quite a bit. Like stated before most of these pumps are pushers, not pullers so they need to be as close to, and below the fuel level as possible. If you're dead set on electric, a Holley red is probably what you want. Is there any reason a mechanical set up like stock can't be used? I would personally use a quality mechanical set up and be done with it, especially if you're not running some crazy high HP combo. I have a built 427 SBC in my 94 camaro and I played hell getting the in tank pump working with feed and return (i used a new holley sniper pump that could be regulated down for carb pressures.) When that engine comes out and goes into the truck it's getting a good mechanical pump set up.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #27
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
...Like stated before most of these pumps are pushers, not pullers so they need to be as close to, and below the fuel level as possible.
In the MSD docco for my system there's a description much like biketopia's. The pump needs to be right next to the tank and near the bottom of it so it gets a siphoning effect while "pulling" the fuel out.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #28
dave`12

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Checked out your link, you said it was in that black box with the picture of the alternator replacement? Is this the post you're refering to http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...1&postcount=58 If so part of your problem is your pump is way to far away from your fuel tank and is above it quite a bit. Like stated before most of these pumps are pushers, not pullers so they need to be as close to, and below the fuel level as possible. If you're dead set on electric, a Holley red is probably what you want. Is there any reason a mechanical set up like stock can't be used? I would personally use a quality mechanical set up and be done with it, especially if you're not running some crazy high HP combo. I have a built 427 SBC in my 94 camaro and I played hell getting the in tank pump working with feed and return (i used a new holley sniper pump that could be regulated down for carb pressures.) When that engine comes out and goes into the truck it's getting a good mechanical pump set up.
Thanx for the replies. That is just a pic of the box for size and type. I have another box for the pump. The pump is mounted under the floorboard, passenger side, just outside the frame. I was worried about heat, the muffler is a few inches inside the frame.

Thanx for the advice on pumps. Really, I was leaning towards mechanical, but several guys told me stay electric. When I bought the used engine, the mechanical pump did not work, not sure why. I was a little hesitant to go mechanical since I thought there is a possibility that the issue is inside, rather than the fuel pump. Although the engine runs really well, I did have some issues such as a stripped flywheel bolt when I installed it, so I'm not confident that there aren't other issues I don't know about.

Of course the fuel pump on it may just have the lever not properly inserted, and could possibly work! Maybe I should check on that...
Old 11-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #29
HO455
Post Whore

Going mechanical will simplify you life, reduce alternator wear, and be quieter to boot. No good reason not to.
There is a long story why I have an electric pump going back to the PO.

Good luck with the mechanical pump installation.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #30
dmjlambert

If you don't get the mechanical fuel pump working, post your pictures and questions about the problem you are having here on the forum, and I predict you'll get plenty of info to get you going.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #31
biketopia

The simplicity and "road side fixability" goes up tremendously with a mechanical pump. Pick up new mechanical pump, pull the old one off and make sure there is a fuel pump push rod in the hole. then using a ratchet on the crank bolt spin the engine over and feel for the rod to move. If it's moving, stick your new pump on and plumb it up and enjoy your truck!

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote