The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #51
lyrikz
PITbut

Re: Airbaggers. Where are you putting your tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvelDesigns View Post
ok, first the feedback you can use... whoever said one comp per 3 gal tank hit it on the head. it's gonna take way to long to fill a 5 gal tank with one compressor. i run my whole setup off a single 3 gal tank with 1 compressor. when the tank is full (160psi) i can fill my bags to ride height all the way around. Then it takes about 2-3 to refill the tank.

that seems to work well for the "just gonna drop it at the shows". I will also tell ya that for the first two - six months, you'll play with them at every stop light you can. at least i did. especially if the wife or kids were with

ok, the other thing for ya is a pick of my compressor, tank, gas tank and exhaust setup. i'm not sure if you can do this though since you're a step bed.

i'm not sure mounting it under your cab is gonna work. you may run the risk of laying your truck down on the tank, or it hitting bumps in the road.

you have to keep in mind that your truck MUST still move @ 10mph or so if you're completely aired out. if not, you're gonna be screwed if anything ever blows going down the interstate.

I have two compressors for 10 gallons.. So, im kinda close to where we should be. I will be running two compressors and 1 5 gallon tank for the rear, then when i do the fronts i will add another tank. If it doesnt work out, then i will just have to adjust to how much i play with them. ahaha... I made a mockup of the 5 gallon tank and it sits up inside the cab area pretty well. I wont truely know until i have the cab back on. I will have some pics and what not when that tank gets here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Stepsides are A pain in the arse. If you aren't running a heater/ac box, you may be able to put the tank in the engine compartment. I never could find a good spot to mount it. My mufflers are even turned verticle, and there is still not enough roomto mount it on the inside of the frame rail. The only other thing I could think of was kind of a strange deal. I thought about putting a shelf across the trailing arms and mounting the tank and compressor to that. You would have to mount it with rubber mounts so that it could flex and move with the trailing arms. The only other thing I could think of was mounting the tank to the bottom of the bed just above the driveshaft near the front of the bed, by the driveshaft bearing. These are just a few different thoughts I had. Good Luck!
Shawn
I dont think a 5 gallon tank would fit in the engine compartment... hahaha... Let alone 10.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #52
ShowSS12

Belive me when you say you wont play with the system other than parking (droping low) or getting to ride height. Thats what I said when I did my impala and I don't have enough air I am running only one Viair 380C and a 5 gal tank.... I am looking soon to add another 380c. But if you got two comps & 1 five gal tank you should be good, but that may change if u add the other tank..
ShowSS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #53
c10addict

My 64 has two 3 gallon tanks mounted on the inside of the frame rails under the cab... they fit perfectly...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #54
ERIK D

U can put it here
Attached Images

ERIK D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #55
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIK D View Post
U can put it here
Thats exactly where mine is now. Where is your drain for your tank???
Old 10-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #56
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10addict View Post
My 64 has two 3 gallon tanks mounted on the inside of the frame rails under the cab... they fit perfectly...
So i got my compressors mounted. I have a few questions. Anyone know where i can pick up some rubber o rings so that my wires dont rub? This pic here you can see the leader hose running through a hole, i want some kinda gasket in that area.

Also, anyone see anything wrong with this? Grounds, hoses. power wires...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #57
c10addict

you can take a piece of rubber hose, like heater hose, and slide it over the hose or split it and put it over the hose and wire tie it...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #58
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

You can do that, or I went to Napa and bought some grommets for where my air line goes through the front crossmember. I'll be doing the same for anything else that runs through the frame.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #59
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
You can do that, or I went to Napa and bought some grommets for where my air line goes through the front crossmember. I'll be doing the same for anything else that runs through the frame.
Ahh, napa has the grommets? If that doesnt work i will do the hose trick... i have a buncha hose at the shop...

I have the lines ran from the compressors through the frame and through the center of my transmission crossmember and out the other side. All i need to do is get the fronts on, install the cab, mount the tank, then i can wire everything up and move on...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #60
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10addict View Post
you can take a piece of rubber hose, like heater hose, and slide it over the hose or split it and put it over the hose and wire tie it...
Found the grommets that i needed. I had a few more questions. I have to run one of my airlines RIGHT next to the leader hose. Is that going to be ok? The line is safe up to 180 degrees.. Would it be ok like this?? OR would that leader line melt it??

This is my daughter. This is her with her favorite dolly.

And this is what happens when i ask if daddy can borrow her dolly to use...